True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) by Kay Bratt

True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) (edition 2019)

by Kay Bratt (Author)

661,910,178 (4.5)None
Member:teachlz
Title:True to Me (A By the Sea Novel)
Authors:Kay Bratt (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2019), 267 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Women's Fiction, Magical Realism, Romance

True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) by Kay Bratt

This is the first book I have read by Kay Bratt but it is now clear that I will have to buy some of her past books. While I love thrillers and suspense, there are times that I just want a “feel good” story, and this book was just right.

The story took me back to the days when I travelled to Hawaii frequently to work. I loved the moments I was able to escape the tourist areas and enjoy the scenery and chat with some of the delightful local people. This is a story of family, friendships, forgiveness, and finding yourself.

I really like Bratt’s style of writing. It was an easy read, no alternating perspectives, no dual timeline. Just a simple read. Characters you can’t help but love. Romance and a bit of mystery. A great holiday read.

Thank you to the author and Lake Union Publishing for the e-galley. All opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Nov 29, 2019 |
True to Me is the first book I have read by Kay Bratt. This book takes place in Hawaii on Maui. The main character, Quinn, has recently lost mother and learned that her father was not who she thought. She makes a trip to Maui to try and learn more about her family and to spread her mother's ashes. Not only does she learn about her family ties, but she also experiences personal growth as well.

I liked this book a lot. I learned a lot about Maui and Hawaiian culture. The mystery of Quinn's heritage kept me turning the pages, and the characters were interesting and realistic. I was more than satisfied with the ending of the story and will be interested in reading future books by this author.

I read this book compliments of Net Galley. All my thoughts and opinions are completely my own. ( )
  sdbookhound | Nov 26, 2019 |
Thanks to the author for this ARC.

I really enjoyed this book especially since it was set in the location of Maui, HI.

It was a easy read but emotional as well. Quinn's mother surprised her on her death bed by telling her that for all of her life that her father wasn't her father. She buys a home on a whim in Maui, unseen, to look for her real father and finds out that the family who owns the house still lives there. She moves into the guest house, unwillingly, and starts to renovate the house and becomes friends with the family who lives there now and meets Liam, who helps her renovate the house the way she wants it after the family moves out. She finds a lot more than who her father was and who her real family is after all. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Nov 24, 2019 |
True to Me is a heartwarming story about a women’s journey as she seeks to learn about her mother’s past and determine her own future. Quinn Maguire has just lost her mother, and her mother’s deathbed confession has shattered her world and everything she has ever believed to be true. Quinn’s fiancé, Ethan, wanted them to combine scattering her mother’s ashes in Maui with a vacation and what he feels can be the start of the rest of their lives together. Quinn can’t do this, she and her mother were their own little family, and now she needs to go to Maui alone to see if her whole life has been a lie.

As I said, True to Me is a heartwarming story and a pretty good mystery as Quinn tries to unravel all the facts and rumors she’s learned about her mother’s past. However, I think I am in the minority of readers that didn’t totally love this story, as I had some serious issues with it. The pace was slow and the tale predictable until about two-thirds of the way through. Many events just did not ring true to me. Although Quinn is supposedly successful in business she is a very awkward person, and not usually in an endearing way. It’s obvious that her relationship with Ethan was missing something but she kind of scrapped it pretty quickly, but then again had what seemed to be an overly dramatic reaction when she found out about Gina (“body going into a fetal position as she fought to protect herself from the onslaught of thoughts and the sudden nausea”), especially considering the attraction that seems to be building between her and Liam. Overall a lot of confusing signals.

Quinn isn’t really very likable until we are well into the book, so it’s hard to feel sympathy or empathy for/with her as she experiences a lot of her struggles. There is a good mystery and a lot of action and danger as more and more facts becomes known and a very enjoyable cast of supporting characters, and in the end I was rooting for Quinn to have her happily ever after, wherever that may be.

Thanks to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of True to Me. All opinions are my own. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Nov 18, 2019 |
Kay Bratt, author of "True to Me" has written an intriguing, captivating, emotional and magical novel. The story takes place mostly on Maui, and the timeline for the story is set in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or the events. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, Women's Fiction, Romance, and a touch of Magic. The author describes the characters as mostly likable, complex and complicated.

The main themes in this novel are family secrets, forgiveness, and second chances. I also appreciate that the author discusses the importance of family, friends, neighbors, love, and hope.

Quinn Maguire finds out on her mother's death bed, that the man she thought was her father that abandoned her wasn't. Quinn also has her mother's ashes and is bringing them to Maui, where her mother's childhood home was. Quinn is hoping that she can uncover secrets and discover the truth about her life. On the island, Quinn starts to feel the magic and meets interesting people. Is it possible that Quinn will learn who she really is?

I would highly recommend this entertaining and thought-provoking and emotional novel. ( )
  teachlz | Nov 3, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,141,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible