True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) by Kay Bratt

True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) (edition 2019)

by Kay Bratt (Author)

Member:teachlz
Title:True to Me (A By the Sea Novel)
Authors:Kay Bratt (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2019), 267 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Women's Fiction, Magical Realism, Romance

True to Me (A By the Sea Novel) by Kay Bratt

You had me at Maui and genealogy. My favorite place and the study I find fascinating. This book sucks you in at the beginning and holds you until the end. Just unbelievable enough to be totally believable.

Quinn and her mother are very close. But, on her mother’s deathbed, Quinn is told something that rocks her world; the story she has been told all along about her father is a lie. This starts a mystery Quinn needs to unravel herself. This starts her impulsive decision to buy a house, site unseen, and fly to Maui, a place very special to her mom. From here, the story unfolds with many heartbreaking twists.

This was my first book by Ms. Bratt, and I look forward to reading more. Her writing and storylines flow effortlessly and she brings her characters to life, with all their flaws and strengths. She describes the beauty of Maui perfectly, making you feel like you are there. Aloha!

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC. Opinion is mine alone.
  LoriKBoyd | Mar 24, 2020 |
As Christians we know that we are to be true to who God created us to be; if we accomplish that we are being true to ourselves as well. How often do we allow ourselves to be shaped in the image of who someone else says we should be? Parents, spouses, significant others, even friends may set up expectations for how we should live our lives. Some of that may truly be good, but are we cognizant of when boundaries are breached? If so, do we allow that to occur, or do we reestablish those boundaries? Traveling along with Quinn Maguire as she discovers her true self may help readers explore such questions. Quinn's story is compelling.

While I most often review Christian fiction, I did enjoy this secular, contemporary tale. Kay Bratt's works are always fully engaging, and transport me into the characters' world. They give me pause to contemplate some of the social and personal issues of our day. True to Me is no exception. I am very grateful to have received a copy from the author and Lake Union Publishing in exchange for my honest opinion. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review, and received no monetary compensation. ( )
  claudia.castenir | Dec 10, 2019 |
This is the first book I have read by Kay Bratt but it is now clear that I will have to buy some of her past books. While I love thrillers and suspense, there are times that I just want a “feel good” story, and this book was just right.

The story took me back to the days when I travelled to Hawaii frequently to work. I loved the moments I was able to escape the tourist areas and enjoy the scenery and chat with some of the delightful local people. This is a story of family, friendships, forgiveness, and finding yourself.

I really like Bratt’s style of writing. It was an easy read, no alternating perspectives, no dual timeline. Just a simple read. Characters you can’t help but love. Romance and a bit of mystery. A great holiday read.

Thank you to the author and Lake Union Publishing for the e-galley. All opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Nov 29, 2019 |
True to Me is the first book I have read by Kay Bratt. This book takes place in Hawaii on Maui. The main character, Quinn, has recently lost mother and learned that her father was not who she thought. She makes a trip to Maui to try and learn more about her family and to spread her mother's ashes. Not only does she learn about her family ties, but she also experiences personal growth as well.

I liked this book a lot. I learned a lot about Maui and Hawaiian culture. The mystery of Quinn's heritage kept me turning the pages, and the characters were interesting and realistic. I was more than satisfied with the ending of the story and will be interested in reading future books by this author.

I read this book compliments of Net Galley. All my thoughts and opinions are completely my own. ( )
  sdbookhound | Nov 26, 2019 |
Thanks to the author for this ARC.

I really enjoyed this book especially since it was set in the location of Maui, HI.

It was a easy read but emotional as well. Quinn's mother surprised her on her death bed by telling her that for all of her life that her father wasn't her father. She buys a home on a whim in Maui, unseen, to look for her real father and finds out that the family who owns the house still lives there. She moves into the guest house, unwillingly, and starts to renovate the house and becomes friends with the family who lives there now and meets Liam, who helps her renovate the house the way she wants it after the family moves out. She finds a lot more than who her father was and who her real family is after all. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Nov 24, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,587,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible