Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Fog Ladies: Family Matters (A San…

The Fog Ladies: Family Matters (A San Francisco Cozy Murder Mystery) (edition 2020)

by Susan McCormick (Author)

323,244,727 (3.17)None
Member:PhyllisReads
Title:The Fog Ladies: Family Matters (A San Francisco Cozy Murder Mystery)
Authors:Susan McCormick (Author)
Info:Wild Rose Press (2020), 338 pages
Tags:arcs-and-giveaways, cozy, friendship, mystery

The Fog Ladies by Susan McCormick

Thanks to the author for a gifted copy of this book. All comments and opinions are my own.

I wanted to read this cozy because it took place in San Francisco, where I lived for 18 years. This is #2 in the series and the first one I read. You can easily read this as a standalone. The Fog Ladies are a group of seniors living in a San Francisco-based apartment building. Various personalities and life situations take a bit of time to sort out. Including Sarah, a young medical student, helped to give the story a broader perspective. I liked the extra dimensions of the primary characters. In addition to solving the murders, some are dealing with aging, grief, loss, and family issues. This made the novel more realistic, which I prefer to the sometimes slapstick style of some cozies.

I give this one 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for keeping me guessing who the murderer was. Even with some chapters written from the murderer's point of view, there were several possible suspects. I liked the clever climax when the murderer is confronted - it was unpredictable and exciting.

What didn't work - referring to the same character both as Mrs. Noonan and Frances on the same page. That made me have to keep track of twice as many characters. Also, the Fog Ladies group could have been smaller. Some of the women seemed to be unnecessary "filler."

What did work - focusing on the emotional growth of some of the Fog Ladies: the acceptance of lifestyle changes of widowhood, confidence despite aging issues, the creative teamwork and problem-solving, the generosity of initiating the project with women prisoners.

This was a satisfying and entertaining read. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Nov 21, 2020 |
I received this book from Netgalley and have written an honest review.
A quick and interesting read with some violence but not too graphic. The characters are well fleshed out and remind you of people you know.The setting is realistic and it was an entertaining story.
An intern at a local hospital moves into the building and becomes acquainted with a group of senior citizens who are very upset by the death of one of their friends. Soon after, another death occures, considered an accident. The group, known as the Fog Ladies, ask Sarah to verify that they were natural deaths, which she does. Over the next few months two more of the members suffer near fatal accidents. Suspicion is aroused but what could be the motive?
The mystery was fairly easy to solve but I kept reading to find out how the author tied things up. An enjoyable read.
Two things stood out as off track. The ladies, being my age , probably wouldn't be urging Sarah to find a nice young man. That was my grandmother's generation. Also the gun wasn't a good idea after so much effort at making things accidental or natural. ( )
  florabundi | Nov 3, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,460,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible