Home Before Dark: A Novel by Riley Sager

Home Before Dark: A Novel (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Riley Sager (Author)

Member:Melwilk
Title:Home Before Dark: A Novel
Authors:Riley Sager (Author)
Info:Dutton (2020), 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*****

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager (2020)

I thought there were too many characters and too many points where my interest drifted. However, it gets half of a star just for the “third act.” Wow. I want to give it 4 stars, but I just didn’t like it enough. It’s a strange feeling to be enthralled in a book but not really like it too much. But seriously, read it for the last third of the book. I can’t even say any more than that because it’ll spoil things. ( )
  littlefoxlibrarian | Sep 7, 2020 |
Maggie Holt's father wrote a famous horror memoir about the "Haunted House" that Maggie grew up in, featuring Maggie as a main character. She has always been sure the story was a lie, but her parents would never tell her why, poisoning their relationship. After her father's death, Maggie inherits the house and moves in.
Despite a glaring plot hole and some outlandish twists and turns, this was an entertaining novel. ( )
  dcoward | Sep 2, 2020 |
Too stupid for words
  Lightfantastic | Sep 2, 2020 |
Fun summer read, definitely on the convoluted side & very little character development, but still engaging. ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
When the most tense parts of a ghost story make one laugh and/or roll eyes, it's really not doing its job. I felt like Home Before Dark had good potential; but, instead of building tension and scaring/surprising, it fizzled and fell flat.

There were a couple of (meant to be) funny moments that I truly enjoyed. ( )
  joyblue | Aug 23, 2020 |
For those who tell ghost stories ... and those who believe them.
Every house has a story to tell and a secret to share.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,663,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible