Home Before Dark by Riley Sager

Home Before Dark (original 2020; edition 2021)

by Riley Sager (Author)

Member:jenniferannwoods
Title:Home Before Dark
Authors:Riley Sager (Author)
Info:Dutton (2021), 432 pages

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager (2020)

3.5 Stars. I enjoyed reading this, and I read it pretty quickly, but I wasn't completely satisfied by the ending.

I have read one Riley Sager book before, and I did enjoy that one as well. I have found all his books to be entertaining but not necessarily mind-blowing. Being just entertaining is not a bad thing, in my opinion, but I do think [b:Lock Every Door|41837243|Lock Every Door|Riley Sager|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1540938359l/41837243._SY75_.jpg|65308942] followed through in its ending a lot better.

I personally really enjoyed the format of having a chapter in the present and then a chapter of the book Maggie's dad wrote. It probably isn't for everyone, but I felt like it gave me a better sense of why Maggie didn't like the book and what the background of this house was. It was definitely an element that kept me reading far longer than I otherwise would.

I liked Maggie as a protagonist, but I did find her to be pretty ordinary for the most part. Given her background, I wanted a little bit more from her. The whole book focuses on how much she hates her dad's book. While that is interesting, it shouldn't be her whole character. We barely learn anything about her career as a house flipper or what she's done between the ages of five and where she is now. It's also kind of crazy how little we learn about the secondary characters. We really only see anyone else when they're relevant to the plot. Characters started to run together for me because they didn't have personalities outside their role in the plot.

The plot was fine. For the most part, I was really intrigued by the direction of the story. I, too, wanted to find out the truth behind the house, and I was eager to see what Maggie found out. However, I found that the final twist didn't have enough setup throughout the book to feel satisfying. So much necessary information for figuring out the mystery was introduced really close to the end. There were a few too many red herrings for my taste like both the journalist and Dane ended up really having nothing to do with anything . It felt like one of those thrillers where all the setup I found interesting was kind of ruined by the ending.

I know that I will almost certainly not read Sager's most recent release because it has really low reviews, but I have enjoyed the two I've read by him. However, now that I've read more thrillers, I'm not as impressed by his work. I know many people like this one, and I would recommend picking up still as an entertaining thriller. Still, it's definitely not a new favorite. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
Maggie has spent years trying to live down the aftermath of a book her father wrote about her family's experiences in Baneberry House. Maggie knows the book is a lie because she doesn't believe in ghosts, but she has no memory of what happened in that house, so when her father dies and she finds that he never sold the house, she decides to spend the summer renovating it and putting it up for sale. When Maggie arrives, she finds a town full of people who want nothing to do with her or the house, and strange things that begin to happen that she can't explain.

Home Before Dark begins as a classic haunted house story told from Maggie's perspective alternating with chapters from her father's book. Maggie's lack of memory and everyone's desire to not talk about the house makes her father's book seem more and more like what must have really happened, especially when things occurring in the house seem to mirror the events he described in his writing. We are kept guessing about what is really going on until the triple twist at the conclusion of the story. Overall, this book is a fun and engrossing read that is hard to put down until the very end. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |

ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
When Maggie was five, her family lived in a haunted house, where their experiences became so horrifying they left one day with only the clothes on their backs, never to return. At least, that's what her father's best-selling book claims. Maggie herself, to the limited extent she remembers anything at all, doesn't quite remember it that way, and her mother has basically admitted to her that all of it was all a lie. Her father, however, would say nothing about it to his dying day beyond "what happened, happened." Now Maggie has inherited the house, and despite her father's warning that it isn't safe for her there, she's returning to fix the place up, and hopefully to find out what actually happened that day.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Some of the details are pretty ridiculous, and it drags a bit in the middle, but it's an interesting take on familiar haunted house tropes, and it was a quick, engaging read that did keep me interested in finding out what the real story was. Mind you, I was pretty sure I figured out that real story well before the end, but while I was almost right about it, the novel did add a little extra twist to things to keep things interesting. ( )
  bragan | Oct 11, 2021 |
A little too easy to figure out.
Childhood trauma slowly remembered
Is the house haunted or a misunderstanding brought to light ( )
  VadersMorwen | Jul 29, 2021 |
For those who tell ghost stories ... and those who believe them.
Every house has a story to tell and a secret to share.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,471,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible