Get a Life, Chloe Brown

by Talia Hibbert

Series: The Brown Sisters (1)

"Absolutely charming... a flawless balance of humor, heat, sweetness, and depth, and I loved every page." - Helen Hoang, USA Today bestselling author of The Bride Test Talia Hibbert, one of contemporary romance's brightest new stars, delivers a witty, hilarious romantic comedy about a woman who's tired of being "boring" and recruits her mysterious, sexy neighbor to help her experience new things--perfect for fans of Sally Thorne, Jasmine Guillory, and Helen Hoang! Chloe Brown is a chronically ill computer geek with a goal, a plan, and a list. After almost--but not quite--dying, she's come up with seven directives to help her "Get a Life", and she's already completed the first: finally moving out of her glamorous family's mansion. The next items? Enjoy a drunken night out. Ride a motorcycle. Go camping. Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex. Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage. And... do something bad. But it's not easy being bad, even when you've written step-by-step guidelines on how to do it correctly. What Chloe needs is a teacher, and she knows just the man for the job. Redford 'Red' Morgan is a handyman with tattoos, a motorcycle, and more sex appeal than ten-thousand Hollywood heartthrobs. He's also an artist who paints at night and hides his work in the light of day, which Chloe knows because she spies on him occasionally. Just the teeniest, tiniest bit. But when she enlists Red in her mission to rebel, she learns things about him that no spy session could teach her. Like why he clearly resents Chloe's wealthy background. And why he never shows his art to anyone. And what really lies beneath his rough exterior...… (more)

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
I should have probably read the reviews going in that explicitly said this was an adult book, so I wouldn't have been surprised by the honest to god disturbing amount of sex this book has for a teenager. I have the habit of skipping past or just skimming the pages for sex scenes, so i wasn't scarred ;), but it would have been good to know. The star off is not for the sex however, it's just for a bit of the plot.I really loved this book otherwise! I have got to say, this was certainly a good piece of romantic comedy, and the angst was perfectly balanced with all the fluff, so I've got to say, this book was amazing. I really liked the plot as well, but some things just didn't speak to me (teenager here, so it's definitely my fault). I have never seen chronic pain portrayed in a book character before, so it refreshing to see that kind of representation as well. And Red is just adorable!! I recommend it to anyone who likes rom-coms, and doesn't mind the sex scenes. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I loved this book! It was a refreshing romance. The characters were different, not the normal perfect characters you see in many romances. The Heroine had many problems and so did the Hero of the story. I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure at first, but the characters grew on me. I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  ChicagoCubs2000 | May 16, 2021 |
Chloe Brown is nearly hit by a car, and in that moment she realizes her life hasn't been nearly as exciting as she might have hoped. To rectify this, she makes her Get a Life list: go camping, travel the world, have meaningless sex, ride a motorcycle, enjoy a drunken night out, etc. To begin, she moves out of her family home into her own flat. Enter Red, the building superintendent, an artist reeling from a bad relationship. Though neither especially likes the other, Red helps Chloe rescue a cat, and he does own a motorcycle.

I had a really good time with this! I found Chloe a little grating at the beginning, but that definitely improved later in the book, and I really liked Red's character. I really liked how both characters had "real" things going on in their lives, with Chloe's fibromyalgia and Red's dealing with the fallout of his last, abusive relationship. The smut was somewhat more explicit than I might have ideally liked, but I really enjoyed this and will plan to get to the others in the series at some point. ( )
  forsanolim | Apr 17, 2021 |
between 3 and 3.5 stars. this was pretty predictable and early on chloe's character was a little annoying (much like red found her, i guess) but both of them definitely grew on me. their falling in love was much too quick to be realistic, especially for the baggage they were carrying. but this is a relatively fun (i really enjoyed the tone the book took) romance and i liked that chloe's chronic illness (fibromyalgia) is just a part of her that she manages (or not), not something that needs to be fixed or that she is loved in spite of. it is, largely, the reason for her baggage, but that makes sense. the main tension isn't really a miscommunication and i appreciated that as well; also that red says that if he tries to win her back and can't, that he will at least have tried, not that he will continue to try to win her and stalk her. and the sex scenes were pretty good. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Mar 30, 2021 |
Recommended by Mae K
  JennyArch | Mar 17, 2021 |

Talia Hibbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This is for my mother, who did whatever it took.
Once upon a time, Chloe Brown died. Nearly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,079,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible