100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for…

by Jean Fischer (Author)

422,533,526 (4.33)None
Member:BeautyintheBinding
Title:100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls: Unforgettable Tales of Women of Faith
Authors:Jean Fischer (Author)
Info:Shiloh Kidz (2019), 208 pages
Rating:***

I read through 100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls: Unforgettable Tales of Women of Faith by Jean Fischer without my daughters. Normally, we’d sit down together and read through, but I plan to give it as a Christmas present. Both of my daughters (ages 7 & 4) enjoyed its predecessor 100 Extraordinary Stories for Courageous Girls and I’m pretty sure they’ll enjoy this as well.

While reading though 100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls, I noticed some overlapping stories between it and its predecessor. So, I pulled out my daughters’ copy of 100 Extraordinary Stories for Courageous Girls and compared the two. It’s the same format with a story on the left page and an illustration on the right page. While some of the stories are basically the same, the narrative is worded differently and the illustrations are different.

Things I liked:

The built-in bookmark!

The emphasis on prayer. Some entries focus on a woman’s specific prayer that was answered. Others focus on someone who was known for praying, but are more biographical rather than citing a specific request and answer.

The diversity. The stories included people from different faiths – Evangelical Christians, Catholics, Quakers, and Puritans. It included several women who stood up to racism and fought for racial equality. It advocated for gender equality and cited examples of female preachers. (Which some readers may disagree with.)

Things I did not like:

In the original 100 Extraordinary Stories for Courageous Girls, it would give the story and usually ask a question for reflection. However, in 100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls, there was often an imperative at the end of the narrative. I felt like the author took these women and their personal callings and twisted it to create a principle that applied to everybody. Because of that, when I read through this with my girls, I will be sure to examine and discuss those statements with them.

The story of the Canaanite woman who cried out to Jesus to heal her daughter. This story has been interpreted in many different ways and I found the message in this book pretty revolting: “Sometimes when you pray, God will ask you to be like the Canaanite woman, to be like a patient dog at a dinner table.” (Pg. 30). This just didn’t sit well with me. If I’m a child of God, then I’m a child of God – not a dog (even if it’s a beloved lap dog). Frankly, I don’t like the message it sends to my daughter and I really wish the author had left this story out.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of the book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
  BeautyintheBinding | Nov 26, 2019 |
Once again author Jean Fischer has chosen 100 women that she considers extraordinary and this time she focuses on how they all have depended on prayer to help them in their life journeys. Some of the women are from the Bible, others are historical figures, and the rest are well-known names in today's culture but they all share one thing in common: their belief in God and the power of prayer.

Each person that Fischer has chosen has been given two pages: one devoted to her story with an appropriate Bible scripture at the bottom and the other with a colorful illustration. This is a perfect format for the target ages of 8-12 year old girls and the beautiful hard-cover and ribbon bookmark also add to its appeal.

100 Extraordinary Stories of Prayer for Courageous Girls would be a great gift for all of the young girls in your life and I myself plan to use it as an added resource for my Sunday School class!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
1 vote fcplcataloger | Nov 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,804,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible