Blood & Ash: A Snarky Urban Fantasy…

Blood & Ash: A Snarky Urban Fantasy Detective Series (The Jezebel Files Book 1) (edition 2020)

by Deborah Wilde (Author)

Series: The Jezebel Files (1)

Cold-blooded kidnappers. Long-lost magic. When things get serious, she goes full Sherlock. Ashira Cohen takes pride in being the only female private investigator in Vancouver. With her skills, her missing persons case should be a piece of cake. She wasn't counting on getting bashed in the skull, revealing a hidden tattoo and supernatural powers she shouldn't possess. Or the bitter icing on top: a spree of abductions and terrifying ghostly creatures on a deadly bender. And don't even get her started on the golems. Reluctantly partnered with her long-time nemesis Levi, the infuriating leader of the magic community, Ash resolves to keep her focus on the clue trail and off their sexual tension because WTF is up with that? But with a mastermind organization pulling strings from the shadows and Levi's arrogance driving her to pick out his body bag, can Ash rescue the captives and uncover the truth or will the next blood spilled be her own? Blood & Ash is the epic first novel in The Jezebel Files. If you like headstrong heroines, complex mysteries, and a dash of red-hot romance, you'll love Deborah Wilde's kickass urban fantasy.… (more)
Member:Donderowicz
Title:Blood & Ash: A Snarky Urban Fantasy Detective Series (The Jezebel Files Book 1)
Authors:Deborah Wilde (Author)
Info:Te Da Media Inc. (2020), 384 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Blood & Ash by Deborah Wilde

I enjoyed this book. I like the main character and her snarky attitude. It has been interesting seeing her learn to deal with her blood magic and find a way to use it for good. I'll definitely plan on borrowing the next book in the series from Kindle Unlimited. ( )
  Woodardja | Jan 30, 2024 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of The Jezebel Files.
I enjoyed the characters, the humour, the witty banter and was more immersed and engaged by the story than in most books.
Sadly the series couldn't keep up with this promise.
The first book only started to show its flaws towards the end a bit but the second one developed into full flaw-bloom which is when I dropped the series.
The first book alone disregarding all connections to later books deserves 4 stars but in context with where a lot of the breadcrumbs lead I don't want to rate it higher than 3.
Especially in the second one, it becomes abundantly clear that this is a Frankenstein built from successful aspects I recognize from other popular UF. My intent is not to accuse the author of ripping them off. The mix is pretty unique even tho the building blocks mostly aren't. The main problem I am alluding to is that the series tries to combine all the good things from all these vastly different series with very different atmospheres within the same story.
It's kind of like Pizza with chocolate cookies mixed in a blender. Well, maybe that metaphor is a bit harsh, it's not that bad but especially the atmospheres just don't fit together properly.
Furthermore, to get all these things to fit together somehow, the plot starts to suffer badly. It takes all these completely unnecessary twists and turns that lead nowhere and are mostly pointless just to visit all the ideas the author wanted to incorporate. Plot development starts to become more and more forced up to the point where I was rolling my eyes constantly because of the lack of common sense or reason combined with all the plot convenience.
Besides, the established personality of the MC is undermined to allow the plot to develop in favour of the planned plot which is a very big no-no for me.
Finally, the story keeps spinning around the same old issues, back and forth, constantly repeating them over and over again without ever making any progress anywhere while other, presently important and complex situations are only briefly talked about. This was going on from the beginning but only started to grate on me in the second book.
Someone else could probably express the same thing in far fewer words but oh well... ( )
  omission | Oct 19, 2023 |
Initially liked but the ending took a nose dive. Wont read the others ( )
  Renegadefx | Sep 18, 2023 |
This was a great book. I love Ash, she’s smart, snarky, and her life has been turned upside down. There’s mystery, twists, and a side of romance woven into the story. It’s relatively fast-paced, and interesting enough you don’t want to put it down once you start. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Apr 15, 2022 |
Listened to audio narrated by well by Deborah Wilde. I really enjoyed the narration and was pulled right into the story.

Ashira Cohen is a private investigator and believed all her life that she was a mundane. It turns out she is a Nefresh, a person with power. Her power is rare and in this first installment it's all about her figuring out, who was behind inhibiting her power and what she can do with her power as she searches for missing children and how to combat black tentacles that kill people.

Ashira isn't afraid to do what needs to be done because it's the right thing to do, even if it means sparking off with Levi the head of Nefresh House.

Levi Montefiore is the Head of the Nefresh House and he and Ashira have been bickering with each other since they first met at camp when they were kids. As they work together to deal with her new powers and solve this case their animosity turns to something more. They may have sparks but it's only a small part of this urban fantasy mystery.

This was an entertaining read, it's rooted in Jewish mythology, a feisty leading lady, with a good blend of mystery, action and interesting characters. I can't wait to read the next installment of the 'The Jezebel Files' and learn more about Ashira and Levi.

I received an audio copy through NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving a review. If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/

wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

There was nothing like sitting in a shitty car with a broken heater covertly filming a teenager for cash to make me question my life choices.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,210,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible