dismiss

A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's…

A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Philip Rucker (Author)

"From Washington Post national investigative reporter Carol Leonnig and White House Bureau Chief Philip Rucker, both winners of the Pulitzer Prize, shocking new reporting on Donald Trump's unique presidency and its implications. Rucker and Leonnig have deep and unmatched sources throughout Washington, D.C., and for the past three years have chronicled in depth the ways President Donald Trump has reinvented the presidency in his own image, shaken foreign alliances and tested American institutions. It would be all too easy to mistake Trump's first term for pure chaos. But Leonnig and Rucker show that in fact there is a pattern and meaning to the daily disorder. Relying on scores of exclusive new interviews with first-hand witnesses and rigorous original reporting, the authors reveal the 45th President up close as he stares down impeachment. They take readers inside Robert Mueller's Russia investigation and the Trump legal team's scramble for survival, behind the curtains as the West Wing scurries to clean up the President's mistakes and into the room to witness Trump's interactions with foreign leaders and members of his Cabinet, and assess the consequences"--… (more)
Member:danielx
Title:A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
Authors:Philip Rucker (Author)
Info:Penguin Press (2020), 480 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:US presidents, US politics, politics, biography, tRump. James Comey, history, Robert Mueller

A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America by Philip Rucker (2020)

If you listen to the news - all the news, not just Fox news - you can't help but question some of the antics of our POTUS. Still, after reading this book and learning about the behind-the-scene-shenanigans being carried out by our politicians in the White House, I believe this book is scarier than any Stephen King novel I've read to date. Congrats to Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig (both Pulitzer prize winners) for laying this out in clear and irrefutable terms. DJT is not fit to be running our country, and yet he has survived a two-year FBI probe into collusion with a foreign power, proven obstruction of the investigation, and impeachment for blatantly using his office for political gain. What else is our republican party going to allow him to get away with? As quoted in the book by William A. Galston, "We haven't seen anything like this in my lifetime. He (Trump) appears to be daring the rest of the political system to stop him—and if it doesn't, he'll go further. What we're discovering is that the Constitution is not a mechanism that runs by itself. Ultimately, we are a government of men and not law. The law has no force without people who are willing to enforce it." Where are our enforcers, and where is this going to end? ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Jun 3, 2020 |
Rucker, Philip, and Carol Leonnig. A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump’s Testing of America. Penguin, 2020.
If you are a regular reader of The Washington Post, not much in A Very Stable Genius will be new to you. That should be no surprise because the authors are star reporters covering the White House. Nor is there any breaking news, because the book’s epilog gets us only so far as the beginnings of the impeachment hearings. But that does not mean that even a regular reader of the Post will not find this book valuable. In a clear way, it explains some of the havoc the mercurial personality of the president has wrought on the governance of defense, foreign policy, and justice. Trump predictably called the book all lies, even though none of the information or quotations in the book were challenged. Most of the information in the book comes either from Trump’s own speeches and tweets or from people who were in the room when the disasters were being hatched. The result is excellent explanatory journalism. There are no rants or polemics from the authors. Like the Mueller report, they leave the readers to draw their own conclusions. For this reader, the evidence they have assembled and the story they tell provides a chill to the bone, as the only people I can admire are the ones who had the guts to quit and tell Trump why. But the downside is that all those folks were, in fact, forced out. An exception is Chris Christie, who had the good sense to turn down the chance to be Trump's chief of staff, a job that could have damaged his reputation even more than Bridgegate. ( )
  Tom-e | May 6, 2020 |
I fairly reasonable summary of President Trump's Whitehouse and its inner workings up to his impeachment. It is a stroll down memory lane, with additional behind the scenes information that only reinforces your feeling that the roller coaster was off the tracks. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 27, 2020 |
Trump is the most frightening coward in American history. We’ve felt the earthquake of his callous ego, but the tsunami heading towards are economy is likely to destroy more lives than the virus he ignored. God’s humor is indeed grand - an ego-maniac famous for being terrified of germs brought down by a virus. ( )
  lanewillson | Apr 14, 2020 |
Wow - how is this man still in the White House? Why doesn't anyone speak up - CRAZY stories in here. I already knew about some of them, but this book really sets the scene and fills in many details. Scary to know that he is the one in charge... ( )
  carolfoisset | Mar 8, 2020 |

Remmler, Hans-PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roller, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuler, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Topalova, VioletaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John, Elise, and Molly - you are my everything.
To Naomi and Clara Rucker
"I alone can fix it."
On November 9, 2016, President-elect Donald Trump began to staff his administration.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,075,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible