Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Mexican Gothic (edition 2020)

by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Author)

"The acclaimed author of Gods of Jade and Shadow returns with a darkly enchanting reimagining of Gothic fantasy, in which a spirited young woman discovers the haunting secrets of a beautiful old mansion in 1950s Mexico"--
Member:jimctierney
Title:Mexican Gothic
Authors:Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2020), 320 pages
Tags:to-read

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

The Changeling: A Novel by Victor LaValle (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Both involve some horror and creepiness, but I like The Changeling more than I liked Mexican Gothic.

The first two chapters of this are a little uneven. I persisted because I do truly love gothic novels, and I am SO glad I did. This is a stunning transplant of Victorian-era gothic literature into Mexico. The clash of cultures -- the English Doyles, the rich Mexican Taboadas, the impoverished town residents connected to indigenous ways -- provides a truly engaging backdrop for a cool, sultry mystery. The payoff is there, too. I am really impressed. I'll be looking for more of her novels. If you want creepy family secrets in decrepit old manors, and a young woman who will solve the mystery, you got it here. Loved it. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Sep 18, 2020 |
In Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Noemí Taboada is an unlikely heroine. When her beloved cousin reaches out for help, Noemí braves the Mexican wilderness to find what has happened to her. Once at the estate of her cousin’s new husband, High Place, it becomes obvious that her physical maladies are not all that is going on. While the mysteries of High Place begin to unravel; strange things begin to haunt even the strong Noemí. With the help of one of the house’s inhabitants and her own superstitions, Noemí looks for a way out for her and her cousin.

Read the rest of my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2020/09/14/review-mexican-gothic-by-silvia-moreno-g... ( )
  bythecoverreview | Sep 15, 2020 |
3.5 stars rounded up - finally, a story that is plot driven and holds my attention! Apparently this is a very difficult thing for me to do anymore: read a book and simultaneously enjoy it. As the title would imply, I really enjoyed the gothic feel of a mansion on a mountain in middle-of-nowhere Mexico. So spooky and easy to envision with Silvia Moreno-Garcia's writing. There was such a good sense of place and time. We love an independent 1950s female badass like Noemi with a mind of her own.

As is typical and typically annoying of me, I had a few gripes with the flowery language used in some places and in others not. I noticed that sometimes the way Noemi thought and spoke would follow one sort of way and then suddenly feel out of place, too modern and sardonic for what we were previously shown. This happened throughout the novel for me, where I was slightly taken aback by the change in tone and took me out of the story. However, it wasn't hard to get back into it and rejoin the others at High Place.

Overall, a captivating, original read. ( )
  tuf25995 | Sep 13, 2020 |
The protagonist of Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s novel Mexican Gothic is twenty-two year old Noemí Taboada, a feisty socialite from a well-to-do family, who is equally at ease flirting with young men at parties and studying anthropology at University, despite both activities being considered quite daring in 1950s Mexico. Her carefree life is unexpectedly interrupted by an urgent missive received from her cousin Catalina, recently wed to mining magnate Virgil Doyle. The letter has a series of incredible allegations: she states that she is being held captive in a haunted house, and possibly being poisoned. Something is clearly amiss. Noemí is not particularly keen to play the (potentially supernatural) detective, but she promises to leave for High Place, the Doyles’ remote country mansion, in return for her father allowing her to pursue university studies.

When she arrives at High Place, Noemí realizes that Catalina’s tall tales might not be so far-fetched after all. The Doyles, in fact, make for a weird household, ruled with a fist of iron by the repulsive old patriarch Harold Doyle. The house itself seems to throb with malevolence, crumbling under the weight of a horrifying secret…

The novel is called Mexican Gothic and it certainly delivers what it says on the tin. Most of the tropes of classic Gothic suspense are thrown into the mix: a decrepit, haunted mansion; “chosen” brides; a young woman who is, for all intents and purposes, imprisoned by a smoulderingly handsome yet terrible husband; a strange family hiding terrible secrets; silent servants; abandoned mines; rituals which seem uncomfortably (to this reader) like blasphemous versions of Catholic liturgy; a mist-covered cemetery; even magical mushrooms...

Sometimes the dividing line between tribute and parody can be very thin. Moreno-Garcia’s novel is a such smorgasbord of Gothic clichés that it could easily have degenerated into a parody of the genre. Yet, despite being over-the-top (as most classic Gothic is), it has enough interesting and idiosyncratic touches to make it an enjoyable pastiche.

I noted that one of the authors to give early praise to this book is Yangsze Choo, the author of The Night Tiger. I am not surprised as, despite the contrasting geographical settings, and the different folkloric traditions they tap into, both Mexican Gothic and The Night Tiger combine horror and historical fiction, and feature a likeable, independent-minded young heroine. Like The Night Tiger, Mexican Gothic also has a sentimental subplot which will particularly appeal to fans of Romance. I confess I preferred both novels' darker aspects…

3.5*

https://endsoftheword.blogspot.com/2020/05/mexican-gothic-by-silvia-moreno-garci... ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Sep 12, 2020 |
I love the various aspects of this story. From the Mexican backdrop to a well executed Gothic tale Poe would be proud of. ( )
  Green_Fingers | Sep 11, 2020 |

Silvia Moreno-Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, TimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para mi madre
The parties at the Tuñóns' house always ended unquestionably late, and since the hosts enjoyed costume parties in particular, it was not unusual to see Chinas Poblanas with their folkloric skirts and ribbons in their hair arrive in the company of a harlequin or a cowboy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,665,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible