The Book of Koli: The Rampart Trilogy, Book…

The Book of Koli: The Rampart Trilogy, Book 1 (edition 2020)

by M. R. Carey (Author), Theo Solomon (Narrator), Hachette Audio UK (Publisher)

Series: Rampart Trilogy (1)

"The first in a gripping new trilogy, The Book of Koli charts the journey of one unforgettable young boy struggling to find his place in a chilling post-apocalyptic world. Perfect for readers of Station Eleven and Annihilation. Beyond the walls of the small village of Mythen Rood lies an unrecognizable world. A world where overgrown forests are filled with choker trees and deadly vines and seeds that will kill you where you stand. And if they don't get you, one of the dangerous shunned men will. Koli has lived in Mythen Rood his entire life. He knows the first rule of survival is that you don't venture beyond the walls. What he doesn't know is -- what happens when you aren't given a choice?"--… (more)
Member:blueraven57
Title:The Book of Koli: The Rampart Trilogy, Book 1
Authors:M. R. Carey (Author)
Other authors:Theo Solomon (Narrator), Hachette Audio UK (Publisher)
Info:Hachette Audio UK (2020)
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2021, 0421, scifi

The Book of Koli by M. R. Carey

A post-apocalyptic world where the last of the technology of civilization is being used to protect as well as to control. A fun read. My only complaint is that I want to know more about the trees that have come awake and can now eat animals, including people. The trees are only talked about, but so far haven't been part of the story. I'd like to hear more about the trees instead of the technology. An entertaining read. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Mar 5, 2021 |
Water became more and more of a problem, humans solved the problem with science and intelligent trees, then things went even worse. Wars and collapse followed and humanity still survived. More time passed, the world mostly reverted to wilderness with pockets of people here and there... except that the trees also evolved. It is a tale of climate change and genetic modifications and progress that somehow got away from humanity - but instead of escaping into the stars, we got stuck on Earth. Or at least we never hear about anyone escaping - who knows what will happen in the next books. And somewhere around this time, Koli was born in one of the villages that somehow managed to survive everything.

Not that you will know all that when the novel opens. We meet Koli, now an older man, telling about the world before the change - not the collapse but a change in his timeline - and how he was part of it. And hos world is full of monsters (literally) and almost magic - old tech that noone understands. It does not take very long to realize that this is not a fantasy set in a secondary world or a science fiction somewhere across the stars but a future Earth.

Carey weaves his world masterfully - allowing Koli to tell the whole story. It is hard to get used to the style - the language had also evolved so sometimes you need to stop and think on a phrase (read it aloud -- see where phonetics will lead you when you cannot decipher it - the expressions survived in a corrupted form because the initial words that were contained in them got meaningless and got replaced by similarly sounding ones). The grammar is jarring at first - but once you get used to it, it runs as smoothly as if you were reading in nowadays English. Looking at the world through the eyes of a man that was there and knows what happens next means that we get all kinds of fleeting views of times yet to come - but mostly we get to see how the world was. And in a lot of cases, when Koli tells you that you may not understand something, you do - because his artifacts are our current and future technology - the AIs and the weapons; the internet and the culture. On the other hand the humans are the same as always - petty, self-centered and allowing self-delusion to rule their lives more often than not - the old stories are still being told - corrupted and changed but still there. Except the monsters are real - and have roots...

It is not a happy place - humanity is dying out - and some branches of it had reverted to the wilderness. And the villages that are still there had mostly lost contact with each other. Anyone who had ever read a single article on genetics knows that this will not end well. However Carey knew it also. So there is an explanation on how they are still surviving and at least in this first novel of the trilogy, there is hope for the future.

If I had a problem with this novel, it was that it read way too much as a first novel of a trilogy. I wanted more of an end, a possibility for this to stand on its own as a novel. Yes, Koli got out of his village, had some adventures, met friends and got an end goal in sight but... that's what happens in prologues. The novel feels incomplete and almost like a teaser and not like the main show. On the other hand it made me want to see more, made me want to mean the cast of characters again -- and if that is not the job of a first novel in a trilogy, what is?

Overall - a great start of a series. ( )
  AnnieMod | Feb 22, 2021 |
I really zipped through this book. I like the protagonist - he strikes me as a bit of a dummy, but it's just because he wants to believe the best of folks. He doesn't pick up on bad intentions or lies very quickly but that makes him endearing to me as a reader, if not to his companions who are trying to survive and not be scammed or murdered.
The world is interesting. It's the post-apocalyptic future of our future - the tech that for them is old and abandoned is much more advanced than what we have in reality. And the trees have evolved to murder folks so their dead bodies can enrich the soil around them. Pretty smart!
  katebrarian | Jan 5, 2021 |
Really good reading, compelling plot, great characters, creative setting, etc.

I could do without the moralizing lectures in my escapist reading, thanks. ( )
  authenticjoy | Nov 15, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For AJ
I got a story to tell you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,159,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible