To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher…

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars (edition 2020)

by Christopher Paolini (Author)

Member:mvuijlst
Title:To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Authors:Christopher Paolini (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 880 pages
Collections:Read 2021

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini

High fantasy from a brilliant author, set in the 23rd Century, when space exploration has allowed humans to live on other planets. When the protagonist makes a haphazard discovery of a fluid, flexible bodysuit on an alien planet, she thinks it's an evil curse. But the suit turns out to be a metaphorical instrument for the unification of the major powers in the universe: Alienkind, humankind, and nonsentient creature-kind. Can the superpowers work together to conserve resources, or will their feud shatter all sentient beings into oblivion?
  ChimK | Jul 21, 2021 |
I found this a fascinating read/listen. Interesting premise and character development. The author had me at chapter 2. The science sounds realistic and complex. The relationship-building between several of the characters is captivating. ( )
  shayes1 | Jul 13, 2021 |
Surprisingly mature given the more youthful Eragon series. Solid world building and some depth to the characters. ( )
  brakketh | Jun 13, 2021 |
For the most part, "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars" is a rich, entertaining space opera telling an interesting story. It has the hallmarks of hipster SFF nowadays, too: a Plucky Female Lead, an Ancient Alien Artifact, a patently-alien Alien Race, a Lost Civilization, an edgy Lesbian Couple, a Mal Reynolds stand-in, lots and lots of steely Space Marines, rigid and angry Military Forces, and plenty of Spin-Off Points. Even has appendices to show the author knows a physicist. Yup. Cool, huh?

What hampers this book more than anything, however, is the crafting of it. I'm not sure how much hard-SF Paolini has read, but it's clear who his audience is. There are hundreds of pages of shoot-'em-up, KA-BOOM "oh-my-God-run!", running fire-fights and space-combat scenes in the 825 pages of text. That's not drama, that's video games. The action-film pacing took away from the Sense of Wonder I kept trying to re-establish with the story, so much so that I set the book down about 2/3 into it and did laundry instead. And if there'd been ONE more reference to Ctein as the "great and terrible", I'd have mulched this book, cost be damned.

Why 3.5 stars then? Because there are parts I loved. There is a scene in which Kira (the Lead) and Falconi (the ship captain) play cards for odd but high stakes and scope each other out; I found the scene gripping, expository, and entertaining as hell. It is probably my favorite scene. There's no shooting, screaming, bleeding, or acceleration in it. Didn't need it. There was enough of good story here to bump this from 3 to 3.5 stars, but the More Shooting Is Better ideal 'put a knife in the heart of wonder' and blocks higher appreciation for me. ( )
  MLShaw | Jun 10, 2021 |
I started this book last summer but I struggled so hard to get into it. I loved the Inheritance series by Paolini and was so excited when the audiobook for his new book was listed on NetGalley. So excited!

But then I started listening and I had a terrible time trying to get past the narrator's snarky, gruff tone for Kira. Pretty much every time she said anything to anyone, she sounded like she hated them or was annoyed or pissed off. I even took some time off and thought about the actual conversations she was having and decided to cut her some slack because most of those would have called for that tone of voice. So it was the author, not the narrator, who was to blame!

I decided to give it another shot a few days ago - I was about halfway done - and something clicked. I couldn't stop listening. And I ended up absolutely loving the book. I do have to admit to skipping the vast majority of the final nearly two hours because they were appendixes about FTL and terminology and the like. I did listen to the afterword by Paolini and am glad I did. I enjoyed having the insight into his struggles writing the book.

This is a space epic and, even though I had a rough time of it with the narration in the first half, the narrator was really quite incredible with her voices. There were A LOT of voices and she did a different one for each character so everyone was identifiable just from her voice. I am very impressed.

With all of the drama and excitement and various characters, my favorite was Gregoravich and his regular use of the term of endearment "meat bag." I love you Gregoravich.

A huge thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for hooking me up! ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |

Christopher Paoliniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hale, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, LindyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,334,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible