dismiss

The Guest List: A Novel by Lucy Foley

The Guest List: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Lucy Foley (Author)

"I loved this book. It gave me the same waves of happiness I get from curling up with a classic Christie...The alternating points of view keep you guessing, and guessing wrong." -- Alex Michaelides, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Silent Patient A wedding celebration turns dark and deadly in this deliciously wicked and atmospheric thriller reminiscent of Agatha Christie from the author of The Hunting Party. The bride ? The plus one ? The best man ? The wedding planner  ? The bridesmaid ? The body On an island off the coast of Ireland, guests gather to celebrate two people joining their lives together as one. The groom: handsome and charming, a rising television star. The bride: smart and ambitious, a magazine publisher. It's a wedding for a magazine, or for a celebrity: the designer dress, the remote location, the luxe party favors, the boutique whiskey. The cell phone service may be spotty and the waves may be rough, but every detail has been expertly planned and will be expertly executed. But perfection is for plans, and people are all too human. As the champagne is popped and the festivities begin, resentments and petty jealousies begin to mingle with the reminiscences and well wishes. The groomsmen begin the drinking game from their school days. The bridesmaid not-so-accidentally ruins her dress. The bride's oldest (male) friend gives an uncomfortably caring toast. And then someone turns up dead. Who didn't wish the happy couple well? And perhaps more important, why?… (more)
Member:JCGirl
Title:The Guest List: A Novel
Authors:Lucy Foley (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2020), 319 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Guest List by Lucy Foley

Recently added bylowie35, OssipeePublicLibrary, Arina40, bayleaf, private library, redevils, Dominic95, ees4

I thought this was a fun and suspenseful read. The story is told from various characters, only half of them likable. The perspective goes back and forth between current time and a day or two earlier. The suspense is built slowly and yes, you will be rooting for things to go a certain way. I think I read the last 50-100 pages in one sitting. I have never read this author before but now I'm curious about her other works. ( )
  twinkley | Jul 6, 2020 |
There is a storm raging and it is very personal. Its fury is directed at a group of horrible people, each and every one. Self-centered, self-absorbed idiots who don’t outright lie, they just don’t tell the truth. Slow build up to a not very surprising conclusion and yet it all felt unfinished. ( )
  kimkimkim | Jun 29, 2020 |
Mystery in Reverse
Review of the William Morrow paperback edition (June 2020) of the original HarperCollins UK hardcover (February 2020)

The Guest List takes the standard murder mystery plot and reverses the order of events to build suspense in its own unique way. In the standard works of the genre, the crime is committed at the front end and the rest of the book is spent on an investigation of the suspects whether by a professional or amateur detective until a culprit is revealed.

From reading the back cover synopsis you know going in that there will be a murder and you are even provided a list of the main suspects. The murder, however, does not occur until the very end of the book and the build up consists of giving the background stories of the suspects and the victim until the climactic event occurs. This does present an extra degree of frustration though for readers who may expect the standard order of things. It is the investigation that is taking place in advance of the crime. You have to piece together who has a grudge against whom and for what reason. I thought the clues were handled honestly and fairly and I did have some suspicion of who some of the characters really were before the reveal.

So why not a 5 rating? Perhaps because a lot of the characters were a bit too stereotypical, the self-centred bride, the smarmy groom, the rowdy ex-school boys, the ne'er do well best man, the tortured bridesmaid, the distant and cold parents etc. But overall this was still a clever twist on the genre by author Lucy Foley and I was quite impressed with it. ( )
  alanteder | Jun 29, 2020 |
Good idea, nasty characters, not a book that enthralled me. Surprised it has had such encouraging reviews. ( )
  herschelian | Jun 24, 2020 |
Setting: Island off coast of Ireland. Guests are gathered for a wedding which turns dark and deadly. Reminiscent of Agatha Christie. Alternating POVs keep you guessing and guessing wrong. Lots of clues keep the pages turning to a surprise ending I never saw coming. Plot is clever and characters are interesting. I would highly recommend this atmospheric thriller and I look forward to Foley's next book. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 24, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,890,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible