dismiss

The Green House

by Dan Lawton

422,616,221 (4.33)None

This may be an easy or difficult question, the answer tends to differ from person to person.Has any of us started living yet? When do we say we have lived? Whatever the answer , we must keep in mind, not lie to ourselves. I quote a line from the book which is quite insightful, 'People are flawed and can be duped .But God cannot be duped'.

The green house written by Dan Lawton was meloncholic in nature,it was complex to even describe the effect it had on me. I had an overwhelming feeling throughout this suspenseful read. My emotions couldn't be explained and the reading journey was not easy. My experience cannot be jotted down to mere words as it can only be felt.You need to feel what I underwent. I had a larger sense of watching a silent movie full of pain ,hurt , distress, guilt, regret all over it until the happy climax after the tenseful situations .

Girard,a 67 year old man is the main protagonist. He was lazy and carefree that an accident happened 37 years ago,the person responsible for the same undoubtedly was him. Lucky for him, he had a soulmate who never was judgemental or say she forgave him for his irrevocable mistake. In the present day, his wife disappears. Now begins the story of a couple who we learn are made for each other and the bond is strengthened by God blessing these two with their undeniable presence and sufficient grace.

I loved the author's poryrayal of Girard's wife, Miriam.A spiritually rich, simple , gentle soul who had a knack of understanding him and shared his baggage despite his shortcomings. Her husband is imperfect. In fact, he had done her unforgivable injustices but she generously accepted him without holding grudges with her big heart.Only good people can do that. Life after the first accident was unhappy and sorrowful. From what I understood they lived like a corpse but their love didn't fade away rather grew stronger. They were one soul in two bodies.

The memories of the past haunted them in unexpected ways. Psychologically both were affected and were under professional help. They withdrew from the external world and turned unemotional.His wife cut her ties from her friends and accepted God to be her best friend.Girard and Miriam resorted to lean on each other. They became private people who rarely communicated with the outside world unless there was an emergent need to socialize.

The thoughts and feelings of Girard floods constantly in the novel.The optimistic ones will find the author's pessimistic approach for the most part of the book distasteful. Life isn't fun and entertainment after all.There are many people spread all over the world who experience one or other hellish affliction in their lives,no-one can question,why it chose them .Victim or self-pitying mentality is soothing than sailing through the struggles and coming out victorious.These days people are weak mentally,emotionally and physically. It's kinda strange but people change into someone they aren't after they encounter certain accidents paramount disabling them to handle it and their hearts bear the brunt of burden.A minor setback when we are pessimistic will seem monumental.

A bad life experience pushes people to the ground while a good life experience cheering them is short lived.Sometimes, people recall only their worst memories of their lives. I would say, fulfilled life is an illusion.Nobody I know has led such lives. The ones who profess it are most probably no truth sayers. People go through traumatic experience at least once in their life time and it leaves them broke, the turmoil remain in their conscious or subconscious mind until death kisses these poor spirits.

Even though I didn't weep in emotionally and psychologically challenging scenes,I could feel the intensity of the situation.When Girard hires a funeral service, the proprietor's unsympathetic and slightly disrespectful nature towards his loss of love slaps him right in the face just it did previously with a coroner.The appalling truth, people care only about their well being and their dear ones is painstaking to swallow.Doctor Brown was an absolute exception.

Girard has mental illness and he is under antidepressants.Anxiety, anger outbursts,vertigo, paranoia and panic attacks gives him the headache and scattered brain. He loses focus on matters that requires his undistracted attention. His unsatisfactory life kindles sympathy from readers especially me.For a moment,I thought he was a cold-hearted man due to past errors.

I agreed Girard was a monster if you know what I mean.I empathized Stacey more than Girard as the latter deserved the punishment for the danger he put people in and he must accept the responsibility for his daughter who is a spitting image of him character vise. He is distant with her and socially challenged. The green house is his escape strategy where his negativities dissipatates from the harsh realities of his life. Miriam is a good soul who doesn't need a man like him.She could have married a man without any bad habits,is spiritual and god-fearing like herself.She is out of his league.

The green house is definitely one of the exceptionally great stories I have read.It is slow paced but worth reading.Not even a teensy weensy doubt ,the author is very brilliant in constructing stories.A good story weaver and his narrative skill is not subpar. The characters were well-sketched out especially Girard,Miriam and his once estranged daughter, Stacey.

I highly recommend 'The green house'to readers who yearn to learn about an old man's perceptives on love, career, spirituality, philosophy based on his life lessons. Don't worry about the pacing of the novel.This is a story which is meaningful and educating about the downright truths of life.I end my review with two quotes from this one of a kind love story, 'Love is earned,not given' and 'False hope can bring emotional destruction'. A must read book. ( )
  infantina.nivetha | Jun 17, 2020 |
It is a strange story which Dan Lawton tells here. You get to know piece by piece what happened long ago. Every time Girard thinks about it, the reader learns something new.
In the beginning of the book, Girard is at home, alone. He does not understand where his wife is, but he does not go to the police either. Step by step the reader will come to understand why he reacts like that.
Then the police comes. The story gets even stranger. The police is as baffled as the reader is by Girards passiveness.

Slowly, a beginning of understanding for Girard is dawning.

There are beautiful poetic sentences in the story.

There is a lot to be happy about in this book. The way the writer tantalizes us with information, the poetic sentences, the abrupt turns...
But the pace is slow, far too slow.
That is why I give this book only three stars. ( )
  Corrie57 | Jun 14, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Dan Lawton's book The Green House is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Dan Lawton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,625,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible