Whiteout

by Adriana Anders

Series: Survival Instincts (1)

Brace yourself for this fast-paced romantic suspense full of fan-favorite tropes: Forced proximity (forget only one bed--there's only one sleeping bag!) Survival romance Locked box suspense Grumpy/Sunshine goodness And scorching, brain-melting heat despite the freezing Antarctic setting With a storm coming and a killer on the loose, every step could be their last... Angel Smith is finally ready to leave Antarctica for a second chance at life. But on what was meant to be her last day, the remote research station she's been calling home is attacked. Hunted and scared, she and irritatingly gorgeous glaciologist Ford Cooper barely make it out with their lives...only to realize that in a place this remote, there's nowhere left to run. Isolated with no power, no way to contact the outside world, and a madman on their heels, Angel and Ford must trust their instincts and fight to survive in the most inhospitable--and beautiful--place on earth. But what starts as a partnership born of necessity quickly turns into an urgent connection that burns bright and hot. They both know there's little chance of making it out alive, and yet they are determined to weather the coming storm--no matter the cost. Praise for Whiteout: "Scorching hot and beautifully emotional."--LORI FOSTER, New York TimesBestselling Author "Adriana Anders brings twisted intrigue and sizzling passion hot enough to melt the ice in Whiteout!  Sexy, smart, and tough characters in a beautifully ice-cold landscape will grab you from the first line and keep you along for a wild ride to the very end."--REBECCA ZANETTI, New York TimesBestselling Author "Strong heroines, sizzling tension. Heart and heat abound!"--MOLLY O'KEEFE, USA TodayBestselling Author "The gripping characters, fresh writing, unique setting, and a villain as cold as the Antarctic itself, make this a fiercely enjoyable story."--TONI ANDERSON, New York Timesand USA TodayBestselling Author "Whiteoutis an exhilarating story of survival and love against all the odds. I couldn't put it down!"--KATEE ROBERT, New York Times Bestselling Author "What a thrill ride! The action is nonstop--I don't think I took a breath until I finished."--KATIE RUGGLE "A thrilling chase across the desolate and changeable beauty of Antarctica. Adriana Anders is a master."--MARIA VALE… (more)

The time has come for Angel Smith to leave Antarctica and return to the US after spending months as head chef for Burke-Ruhe Research Station at the South Pole. Angel doesn't know where she will go or what she will do since coming to Antarctica was a means to get away from a difficult situation in Pennsylvania which had been her home. It doesn't help that her attraction to glaciologist Dr. Ford Cooper has gone unrequited. Ford has purposefully isolated himself from anyone and anything other than his work ever since his arrival at the station. When Angel's departure is interrupted and she is left behind, she discovers that there is more going on at the station than research.

Whiteout is an enjoyable, if unrealistic, romantic adventure/survival novel with underdeveloped but likable characters. The beginning of the book is exciting and draws the reader into multiple possible scenarios surrounding the mysteries of the research station, but when the story moves out into the wilderness and becomes all about survival, the pace slows considerably causing interest to wane. Excitement picks up again in the last third of the story, salvaging the book and making it an enjoyable novel. Overall, Whiteout has enough action, suspense, and romance to make it worth the read. 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
I read the prequel to this story in an anthology. It focused on Ford's brother but was nice to have that sort of preview when reading this story. Ford and Angel work at a research station in Antarctica. Ford isn't very friendly but then the two are forced together to fight against the bad guys. I liked the book but wasn't as enthralled with it as other people. I found it to be a little too long and I was bored with the descriptions of the weather. I get why there were included, I just wanted more smexy times and less weather reports I think. Overall it was a fun story and I would read more from this author but it just solidifies that romantic suspense is not my jam as much as contemporary is.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
As a summer worker, Angel is about to leave Antarctica and return to the mainland. However, when she misses her plane, she is left behind with murderer's, intent on stealing ice core samples from the station. Ford Cooper, a scientist, is also left behind. Coop finds Angel, and together they piece together what is happening, and make the decision to trek across the ice over 200 miles to the nearest station.

This book was a complete bust. Although it was set in one of the most interesting places on earth, and had a fairly decent conspiracy theory plot, I quickly grew tired of the relationship between Angel and Coop. The two were attracted to one another yet determined not to like one another. Most of their scenes were spent describing each other in their heads. They acted like pre-teens who couldn't think of anything else but sex. Seriously, you are fleeing for your life across the Antarctic, and can't focus on anything but the other persons hair, sounds, looks, movement, etc. This completely killed the book for me. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Oct 1, 2020 |
In short, meh. The cold is brutal. I know what 60 below is and I'd have little will to survive let alone romance. Well written in a pace sense, but couldn't care less about the characters, romance, etc. Too long, hate a switch of POV in final chapters--and was that a cliffhanger end? Nope. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Get a blanket, warm slippers and something hot to drink before snowshoeing into this read. Baby it’s cold inside this book and then it HOT but that has nothing to do with the weather. It’s about two people who are running away from their lives and a horrendous plot to kill millions.
Favorite line “The Iceman Cometh” . So the story is set in a remote scientific station near the pole, frozen beyond cold. Angel is the new hire, the cook for the station. Coop, one of the scientist, is the stick in her side, Mr Grumpy. He is colder than the ice surrounding the place. He spends most of his time out on the ice so when something goes wrong and he comes back to a nearly empty station he has no idea what happened, till he finds a certain cook. The cook, Angel is traumatized, horrified and broken. It doesn’t last long she’s not there to die. She’s a hero here, and Mr Grumpy knows it. Together they take steps to survive with little to no chance of making it. Remember it’s cold, and they have to stay warm somehow when it gets dark and there is no generator. :P Here come the toe tingling bits, it’s slow and delicious. It’s not all warm generating going on the guys who destroyed the station are now looking for them.
What an intense read. It has it all, intense action, uncertain future, difficult hard won relationship, snark, and so much more. I loved and hated the characters as they ere writer. The good was so awwwww, the bad, ugg they were nasty bits of evil ! Fun read !
I received a copy of this from the publisher for a honest review ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 18, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

"Through endurance, we conquer." - Ernest H. Shackleton
"It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable." - Seneca, The Stoic Philosophy of Seneca: Essays and Letters
To the scientists and those who support them in the world's most inhospitable places. You are real-life heroines and heroes.
Air whooshed from the dying man's lungs as he landed on hard-packed ice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,686,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible