Mercy: The Fair Lady, the Frost, and the…

Mercy: The Fair Lady, the Frost, and the Fiend (edition 2020)

by Mirka Andolfo (Author), Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Mirka Andolfo (Colourist), Mirka Andolfo (Cover artist), Gianluca Papi (Colourist)3 more, Francesca Carotenuto (Colourist), Chiara Di Francia (Colourist), Diego Malara (Editor)

Series: Mirka Andolfo's Mercy (1-6)

201907,157 (3.13)1
Member:Lucky-Loki
Title:Mercy: The Fair Lady, the Frost, and the Fiend
Authors:Mirka Andolfo (Author)
Other authors:Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Mirka Andolfo (Colourist), Mirka Andolfo (Cover artist), Gianluca Papi (Colourist), Francesca Carotenuto (Colourist)2 more, Chiara Di Francia (Colourist), Diego Malara (Editor)
Info:Berkeley : Image Comics, 2020.
Tags:fiction, comic, graphic novel, Mirka Andolfo's Mercy, horror, tragedy, fantasy, possession, vampires, orphan, multiple personalities, 1800s, small town drama, creepy town trope, torn loyalties, prostitution, mystery, dark past, strong violence

Work Information

Mirka Andolfo's Mercy, Vol. 1: The Fair Lady, The Frost, and The Fiend by Mirka Andolfo

In a small late 1800s American town, some unknown devil has been tormenting the locals for years. But then a beautiful society lady from Seattle shows up with her older manservant, and a town already plagued by a mysterious past and a secret horror is introduced to fresh nightmares.

A stunningly gorgeous graphic novel, and with a series of interconnected mysteries that are individually relatively straight-forward, but when all combined gave me a pleasantly uncertain reading experience. The drama is compelling, the horror is both gruesome and scary, and the characters all have individual agency and understandable goals.

My main complaint is that the art -- while, again, stunning -- was sometimes hard to follow, particularly in the supernatural action sequences. I had to backtrack, study tiny details in small panels over again, and then go "oooh, _that_'s what happened". That's hardly ideal, and really undermined the flow of the narrative. It also confused me needlessly as to what was intentionally unexplained from the story perspective, and what might be things I just missed due to the artwork. In fairness, this was only a major problem a small amount of times in a six issue collection, but it shouldn't be happening at all.

A secondary, much more minor issue, is that for a story set in the late 1800s, there seems to have been no effort made to make the characters sound period appropriate. Modern colloquialisms and turns of phrase many times took me out of the story a bit -- though to some extent, I got used to this as the story progressed and it bothered me less. The comic is translated to English from Italian, though, and it might simply be that the translation (which is otherwise clear and gripping and should be praised) has introduced this issue by not taking the setting into account. I'm happy to give the original language version the benefit of the doubt on this.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with this book. It never reinvents the wheel, but golly, does it know how to roll it. ( )
  Lucky-Loki | Oct 18, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Issues #1-6.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,559,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible