SQL QuickStart Guide: The Simplified Beginner's Guide to Managing,…

by Walter Shields

"A comprehensive beginner's guide to SQL for beginners and experienced data analysts alike. Learn how to access, control, analyze, and manipulate data in any type of SQL database using powerful queries"--

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Technology applications are typically dull and dry. But the author has done a great job of making SQL easily accessible. The practical applications are interesting and easy to follow. In a short amount of time, this book will help a novice see the big picture of SQL and help a beginner learner to effectively use SQL. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 24, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm slightly above beginner level when it comes to SQL. I can build queries from scratch for most problems I'm trying to solve. But, for someone at my level, this book is an invaluable resource. I use it as a starting point to figure out why my query isn't working. That knowledge then allows me to go to another SQL reference or to Stack Overflow.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  reenum | Oct 14, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent book. I actually know SQL and have a great deal of experience with it (18 years). So, I'm very qualified to review this book. I haven't worked with SQL, though, in two years. Which is why I wanted this book. A refresher. Plus, I think even the experienced can learn something from someone who has written about a topic exceedingly well. I did learn a great deal. The author writes in a way that is lacking from nearly every technical book on the market. His explanations, style of writing, everything, are fantastic. I only wished he wrote all the technical books I needed to read or want to own! Fantastic guide to have on hand. I have it on my computer and on my phone so that I'm never without out. ( )
  Geekstress | Oct 13, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I haven't read this book because I requested it to use for reference when I need to use SQL on a project. I have some SQL experience so it appears it might have been useful but the tablet I downloaded it to died and I had to buy a new one, and download link no longer works.
  llarsson7 | Jun 20, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I came to this book with no SQL experience, and very little database experience at all--but I have moderate experience with HTML, Excel, and a little tiny bit of programming. The guide is very well organized and easy to get into, from the beginning (how to get started with a free version of a SQL program) and forward through clear exercises of increasing complexity. Highly recommended to anyone interested in getting their feet wet in SQL! ( )
  the_darling_copilots | Jun 1, 2020 |
I would like to give a special thanks to my family
Julien, Max, Elke, and Norma.
I couldn’t have written this book without their patience and support.
Introduction

With each passing day -- really with each passing second -- greater and greater quantities of data are collected.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Walter Shields's book SQL QuickStart Guide was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,872,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible