One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

One Last Stop (edition 2021)

by Casey McQuiston (Auteur)

5822731,871 (4)28
Member:chloefischer_
Title:One Last Stop
Authors:Casey McQuiston (Auteur)
Info:Griffin (2021), Edition: 01, 432 pages

Work Information

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

This gets 5 stars for the found family (roommates) alone. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
My neighbor knew I liked and read a lot of m/m romances so she brought me this one. She has met and loves my two wonderful guys that bring me most of my m/m romance books, but she handed me this and said “Gloria, (her partner), and I thought you might like to see how the “other team batted”. Truly. it’s the first of “the other team type” of books that I had read and I’m still a bit on the fence...not about the subject...love is love and everyone should find it anywhere and with anyone and anyhow they chose...but the fact that the author threw so many different controversies into one book that it was hard to keep the main story in focus. It was also difficult to suppress the desire to slap some people upside the head with something very heavy. The other thing that has me “fence sitting” is the writing style itself. I thought the history of Jane and her life was fascinating. So much of the book is written in the third person. I don't usually have trouble with this perspective.... but there are so many characters that it just added another layer of difficulty. The other main character of August is simply charming in all her scatterbrain ways. Her first day of class, everything that can go wrong does so in spades... and then she meets Jane. Together they take on the city of New York...1970’s homophobes and the laws and people that say “You're not allowed do that!”. In a nutshell this is a story of found-family and soul searching and finding your place in the world. It is about acceptance and honesty and staying true to yourself. It's about redemption and love and laughter and heartbreak and all the things that make life so wonderful and complicated. I have to tell my neighbor that both “teams” have fought, and are still fighting for the same things. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 4, 2021 |
audio fiction - queer romance with time travel.
Terrific "chosen family" cast of characters inclusive of transgender, bisexual, pansexual, gay, lesbian, and drag queens; interesting quasi-sci-fi plot; a few really steamy scenes.

This one came highly recommended to me so if you are in need of a fun distraction, this might be it. ( )
  reader1009 | Oct 28, 2021 |
August is a 20-something college student newly transplanted from NOLA to NYC, trying to make the city feel like her home while also keeping her personal walls firmly in place. And then she spills coffee all down the front of her shirt on the way to her first class, meets the girl of her dreams on the subway, who gives August her scarf to cover up the stain, and falls instantly in love. What follows is one of the coolest love stories I've read in a long time, involving accidental/electrically-induced time travel, clairvoyant roommates, an accountant drag queen neighbor, and lots of pop tarts and pancakes. Like McQuiston's [Red, White, and Royal Blue], this novel is full of the cleverest kind of dialogue, which on several occasions made me laugh out in pure glee. There are also at least two mysteries unfolding in the story, with twists I couldn't see coming, and I was rooting for every single character from start to wholly-satisfying end. In short, it was fantastic and fabulous on lots of levels; Reader, it's absolutely safe to say that I am officially a McQuiston fan. ( )
1 vote electrascaife | Sep 27, 2021 |
This book is a warm, fluffy pancake doused in thick, sweet syrup, topped with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles, the kind that make you feel instantly better when you're having a bad day.

This is my first book by Casey McQuiston, and it definitely won't be my last. I think others have described this book much better than me, but here we follow cynical August as she falls for carefree Jane (who may or may not be stuck on the train and displaced in time from the 1970s). McQuiston definitely leans heavy on the syrupy sweetness, but I've admittedly always had a sweet tooth.

These characters -- August and Jane; August's roommates Niko, Myla, and Wes; and all the other characters that were given loud and vibrant voices -- were everything. They were nuanced and flawed and messy and loud. The story itself was amazing. This was the first book in a while that I stayed up late into the night reading.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own. ( )
  Allison_Krajewski | Sep 21, 2021 |

Casey McQuistonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aimee, MoniqueCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naudus, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, KerriCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For queer communities past, present and future

And for Lee & Essie, whose love cannot possibly fit on a dedication page
"Can I touch you?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,576,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible