Stranger in the Lake (2020)

by Kimberly Belle

"Spellbinding. Another outstanding novel by Kimberly Belle, masterfully written to lure you in and never let go." -- Samantha Downing, USA Today bestselling author of My Lovely Wife When Charlotte married the wealthy widower Paul, it caused a ripple of gossip in their small lakeside town. They have a charmed life together, despite the cruel whispers about her humble past and his first marriage. But everything starts to unravel when she discovers a young woman's body floating in the exact same spot where Paul's first wife tragically drowned. At first, it seems like a horrific coincidence, but the stranger in the lake is no stranger. Charlotte saw Paul talking to her the day before, even though Paul tells the police he's never met the woman. His lie exposes cracks in their fragile new marriage, cracks Charlotte is determined to keep from breaking them in two. As Charlotte uncovers dark mysteries about the man she married, she doesn't know what to trust--her heart, which knows Paul to be a good man, or her growing suspicion that there's something he's hiding in the water. Look for these other pulse-pounding thrillers by Kimberly Belle: Three Days Missing The Marriage Lie Dear Wife… (more)

Another great Kimberly Belle novel....just a tiny, tiny bit of a gulp at the ending...FINE, but....... ( )
  nyiper | Aug 9, 2022 |
The Good Life. This book has a few intriguing storylines deeper than the primary mystery - which itself is compelling and very well told. One of which I know well the temptation of, because I'm actively living a version of it. (Though in my version, I didn't marry into it but instead created it for myself.) And here the subtle commentary (well, in some cases not quite so subtle) is pretty spot on in my own experience in a similar region (a small Southern US town on the shores of a large lake). Still, the commentary is (again, mostly) subtle enough that if you didn't live that life, you might not catch just how true it rings, and instead the focus of the tale is the central mystery of the description: who is this stranger, how did she get in the lake, why are so many bodies being found in this lake, and why do they all seem to be connected to Charlotte's husband? Very well told and with Belle's usual swerves even until the last pages, this is one you're going to want to pick up. Very much recommended. ( )
  BookAnonJeff | Jul 11, 2021 |
Initially when I started reading it, I thought it was going to be amazing but finally it ended up being just okay for me.

The atmospheric setting was good and obviously finding a stranger’s dead body in the water under your dock is creepy. The secrets, suspicions as well as the investigation were all great.

But I just couldn’t connect with Charlotte’s character and the ending was somewhat predictable.
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
Charlotte is from the poor side of town, and she is thrilled to marry older, wealthy, charming Paul, whose first wife tragically drowned. When another woman is found drowned in the same place as Paul's wife, she starts to wonder if something more is going on.

I would have liked to see some more depth in these characters. In the end, I found Paul's mom to be one of the most interesting, and sadly she's not in the book that much. ( )
  dcoward | Aug 13, 2020 |
I really enjoy Kimberly Belle’s thrillers, and this was no exception. I read it in one long sitting.
Charlotte (Charlie) grew up poor in a trailer park with a drug addicted mother, and caring for her baby brother. However, all her dreams came true when she met Paul, a wealthy architect. Now married to Paul, she is living an idyllic life until one morning when she finds a body floating under their dock. This is the second woman to be found dead in the lake under their dock. The first woman was Paul’s first wife, Katherine.
Strangely, these aren’t the only 2 bodies that have been found in the lake. Another was Skeleton Bob, a local drug dealer found in his old Camaro at the bottom of the lake. Are these three bodies connected? If so, how?
Charlotte’s husband begins acting very erratically, and now Charlotte doesn’t know whether or not she can believe him.
Adding to her suspicions is the way Paul’s friends are behaving- Batty Jax and Lake Hunter Micah. Sam, Charlie’s old friend, is cold towards her, telling Charlie she shouldn’t have married Paul. Diana, Paul’s mother, has never truly warmed to Charlie.
Charlie turns to her brother, Chet, for help - but he hasn’t told her the whole truth either.
As Charlotte tries to discover the truth, she learns more than she expected, turning her world upside down and putting herself in great danger.
The novel keeps the tension level high, and keeps you guessing, but I definitely had my suspicions of who committed the murders. It turns out I did guess correctly, but I didn’t guess the reason. So the reason behind the motive for the murders was definitely a surprise!
I am looking forward to the next Kimberly Belle novel.
#StrangerInTheLake #Kimberly Belle ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 20, 2020 |
I untie the dock cleats and shove the boat into water as gray as the sky.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,192,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible