The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea by…

The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea (edition 2020)

by Maggie Tokuda-Hall (Author)

Member:pandaofhugs
Title:The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
Authors:Maggie Tokuda-Hall (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2020), 368 pages

The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea by Maggie Tokuda-Hall

Beautiful cover and good page formatting (in the hardcover). The Sea and her relationships are interesting, though not described as well as I had wanted. The rest of the characters and story.... Well, this book isn't for me. ( )
  aspirit | Aug 3, 2021 |
Very interesting. I liked the story mostly. It dragged on in some areas though. I loved the characters. The complexities of them, especially Rake. The background could use a little work though I feel. While it explained things that didn't really need explaining. I couldn't visualize the world that was set before me. I just needed a bit more description and a lot more relevant background I feel. The romance was of a true love kind.

A lot happened in this book and I feel like there are some things that were started and never finished or never explained properly. While the main story was wrapped up well, there is still something missing that is keeping me from getting closure. Like what was with the witch and Callum? There are smaller things that just leave me feeling like my book was missing a few pages. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
This is packaged to look like young YA, if not MG, but it is DARK. The level of ongoing trauma, including sexual abuse, and despair the characters experience is adult-novel-level intense. I very rarely say this, but I am not comfortable buying it for my middle school library or giving it to most young teen readers without knowing they'll have someone to discuss it with. It's a beautiful book otherwise, but I think it could have done what it needed to do without a few scenes. ( )
  SamMusher | Jul 16, 2021 |
I found this book overly violent, and the plot was uneven. I felt like in many places the LGBTQ-ness of the characters was more of an overlay than a part of the book, even though the author was clearly trying to make it more than that. But what really bothered me is that the male characters were all horrible (and stereotyped as violent, drunkards, rapists, or stupid), and most of them were killed. The genre of "men are horrible but at least they die/'we' kill them in the end" is not something I enjoy, and I wish it had a name so I could avoid all books like this. As a queer reader and a feminist myself, (no, I'm not an anti-feminist who thinks feminists hate all men. I think that toxic masculinity hurts men, and I think that as a society we are raising white men, in particular, in ways that hurt both them and society at large.), I find this kind of plotline disturbing. P.S. If you know a name for this genre, let me know! ( )
1 vote JanesList | Mar 5, 2021 |
The sea as an entity, one that needs to be reckoned with. Yes! The sea was the best part of this story.
I'm an old person, but I would caution a bit on the violence of the story. It really took me by surprise and soured the read for me. ( )
1 vote gismcxc | Jan 23, 2021 |
Queer and gender nonconforming characters are everywhere, and their normalization within the world of the book is remarkable and praiseworthy. A strikingly original and accomplished debut, The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea reads like an undiscovered classic with impressively modern flair.

Absolutely enthralling.

Maggie Tokuda-Hallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Csizmadia, RitaMapmaker, interiors artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ngai, VictoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Written especially for Clare
Long after the sun had set, when the passengers were nestled neatly in their cabins, the crew gathered on the deck of the Dove.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible