Daughter of the Reich: A Novel

"Leipzig, 1930's Germany. Hetty Herta is a young girl growing up under Nazi rule. With an SS officer father, a brother in the Luftwaffe and a member of the BDM Hetty is the epitome of a perfect German child. But Walter changes everything. Blond haired, blue-eyed, perfect in every way Walter. The boy who saved her life when she was a young child. Her brother's childhood best friend. A Jew. As she falls more and more in love with a man who is against all she has been taught, Hetty begins to question everything. Will the steady march of dark forces destroy their world, or can love ultimately triumph? Perfect for fans of The Tattooist of Auschwitz, The Book Thief and Kate Furnivall" --"For fans of The Nightingale and All the Light We Cannot See, a spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime strengthening its grip on a vulnerable nation"--… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I absolutely loved this book. It had me on the edge of my seat at times talking to the characters as if they were sitting across from me. It made me nervous and on edge but I couldn’t put it down once I picked it up. It took me a while to read only because life is crazy sometimes, but whenever I would find time to read it, I feverishly flipped pages. I’m glad the ending filled all the necessary gaps but wasn’t cookie cutter good ending. It felt realistic and based on true events more than a work of fiction at times. Definitely recommend this book for anyone that has a spot for historical fiction based in Nazi Germany. ( )
  CJ82487 | Jan 4, 2021 |
I loved this story. Set apart from other WW11 historical fiction, this story is set from the perspective of a young German girl, Herta Heinrich, in Germany in the 1930’s. Born in a well off German family, her father is a rising star in the Nazi party. At 7 years old she buys the Nazi propaganda that Jews are destroying Germany hook line and sinker. Perhaps if she had continued on this way, she would have been a devoted Aryan. Fate intervened when her older brother’s once devoted friend makes a reappearance in her life after her brother inexplicably shunned him. Finding out he is Jewish, Herta, is faced with a moral quandry. Does she honor her family ethos and brand Walter a conniving, scoundrel our to corrupt her soul and destroy Germany, or is there a possibility that everything she thinks she knows is wrong? What follows is a tale of forbidden romance between 2 people who were never meant to be together. I’m every way, Walter saves Herta, and in her own way, she risks all she has to save his life when it becomes clear his life will be extinguished if he stays in Germany. This really gives you the whole gammut of emotions as Herta is indoctrinated early into Nazi ideology, and later as she sees the lies and false narratives in the Nazi ideology. It made me angry, sad and hopeful all at once. A great story. Thank you to Netgalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  hana321 | Aug 28, 2020 |
I will enthusiastically rate Daughter of the Reich as one of my top ten favorite books. It is amazing. I love a beautifully written book that will both capture the essence of the story as well as the reader's attention. It is so well written, so true to the heartbreaking reality of WWII that I found myself feeling as if I were reading an actual diary rather than a historical fiction novel. The characters were brought to life in such a way you will see, hear, and know them. It is presented so beautifully you will experience anger, sympathy, sadness, relief, resentment, and encouragement throughout this touching story. It is one of the strongest, well written, and emotionally fiction books I have ever read (and I very seldom say that). You will not be disappointed by the story nor the brilliant writing. Read it as soon as possible. You will be proud you did. ( )
  JudyMcNelley | Aug 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Told from the POV of a young German girl, whose father is an up and coming star in the Nazi party. We all know how the Nazi's were to everybody else, but they were pretty mean to their own people as well. ( )
  sunqueen | May 20, 2020 |
*I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.*

I really debated between giving this book four or five stars. It's not perfect and a couple of times I thought the author was presenting a slightly too simplistic point for what she was trying to convey. Nevertheless, this was an engaging novel telling a story I wish more WWII-era novels would attempt. The narrator, Hetty Heinrich, is a young girl growing up in 1930s Germany. Her father is an SS officer and in her youth Hetty embraces the Nazi ideology her family promotes. But, as a teenager, she develops a relationship with Walter, an old family friend who also happens to be Jewish. Walter challenges many of the ideas Hetty accepted as truth and opens her eyes to the dangers of what is happening to Germany. This is not always an easy read - happy endings are not common in this era - but it was both well written and thought provoking as some of the best novels are. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 15, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Daughter of the Reich was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,622,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible