The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon) by…

The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon) (edition 2003)

by Daniel Silva (Author)

Series: Gabriel Allon (2)

A sometime Israeli spy by trade and an art restorer by preference, Gabriel Allon arrives in Zurich to clean the work of an Old Master for a millionaire banker -- only to find himself standing in his client's blood and framed for the murder. Without warning, Allon is drawn into a spiraling chain of events involving Nazi art theft, a decades-old suicide, and a bloody trail of killings -- some of them his own. The spy world Allon thought he had put aside will envelop him once again. And he will have to battle for his life against the assassin he helped train.… (more)
Member:top19
Title:The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon)
Authors:Daniel Silva (Author)
Info:Berkley (2003), Edition: Mass Paperback Edition, 464 pages

The English Assassin by Daniel Silva

Gabriel Allon is asked to go to Zurich to restore a painting for Augustus Rolf. When he arrives, Augustus is dead. In order to discover why he was killed, Gabriel finds his daughter, Anna Rolf, a famous violinist who lost her mother to suicide when she was 11. Through her, Gabriel finds out that Augustus was in possession of a number of Old Masters stolen from French Jews and French museums during WWII. These paintings are now missing. Settings range from Zurich, to Portugal, to Corsica, to Paris and London. ( )
  baughga | May 19, 2021 |
Well, once again Daniel Silva gave me the opportunity to enjoy his character, Gabriel Alon. This is the second book of the series and I absolutely enjoy it.
As the third generation of a Holocaust survivor, for me, this story catches my attention. I knew that the Swiss were not as Neutrals as the people think they were during the second world war. In this book, you can see that there are Swiss people that want to keep the thing as they are and not open old wounds and there are other Swiss people that look for their atonement.
This is my third Gabriel Alon book that I have read, and I haven't read them in order. The truth is it is a series that you can read out of order, but I believe maybe reading by the order the series will look different.
Yes, this book has to do with Israel, but this time not so much with it Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but the conflict this time is the Nazi - Jewish history. The thing that I really like about the Gabriel Alon is that in both his occupations he is very good at them. Also, I like the idea his two occupations are totally opposite, from one side he is an art restorer and the other job he is a secret agent. Even though those occupations are in different edges they have also a lot of things in common, like on both jobs you have the patience of an elephant as well to see the whole picture as well as the smallest of detail.
Well if you haven't read this series yet please do you will like it, especially the middle one in the series they are so relevant to the current situation of Europe. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 9, 2020 |
Love his writing and the way his characters develop. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Gabriel Allon #2 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
The English Assassin. Daniel Silva. 2002. This is the third Silva novel I have read. In this one art restorer/spy/assassin Gabriel Allon is called to Switzerland to restore a Rubens. What he finds is the body of the banker who had requested his services. As he searches for the murderer he is drawn into the world of Nazi art thefts during WWII and Switzerland’s role in bank rolling the Nazis and hiding the art which was considerable. I had no idea the Swiss were so helpful to the Nazis. It makes me angry. I should did out my copy of The Rape of Europa, and read it ( )
  judithrs | Mar 24, 2019 |

Spinelli, PieroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Phyllis Grann, finally,

and as always, for my wife, Jamie,

and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
Marguerite Rolfe was digging in her garden because of the secrets she'd found hidden in her husband's study.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,334,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible