Twisted: The Tangled History of Black Hair…

Twisted: The Tangled History of Black Hair Culture (edition 2020)

by Emma Dabiri (Author)

Member:Ronsank
Title:Twisted: The Tangled History of Black Hair Culture
Authors:Emma Dabiri (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2020), 272 pages
Collections:2020

Work Information

Twisted: The Tangled History of Black Hair Culture by Emma Dabiri

Fascinating! Covered SO much more ground than I ever would have guessed, and taught me a little bit about a lot of things. Looking forward to reading Dabiri's new book, which I've already bought! ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Black hair has been a subject of news in recent events (with laws being passed in the US on discrimination based on hair) so this seemed like an interesting read. Author Dabiri is an Irish-Nigerian reporter for the BBC and she takes us through the history of hair as seen by herself personally, by others, in society, etc. Interwoven in the text is a memoir of her life as well as other topics including pop culture, social justice and more.

I have to agree with the negative reviews. This book isn't really clear on what it wants to be: Dabiri's personal memoir? A history? A cultural/societal commentary? I don't really know. Her story was rather interesting and I had hoped to learn more about being mixed race and growing up in some place like Ireland, which she says was not very diverse.

As you go further in the book it does feel academic and overall it felt like a mishmash of writings that wasn't hammered out. I did learn quite a bit but sometimes the text could shift to her personal story to discussing CJ Walker's story of developing and marketing hair products for Black Women (which was developed into a Netflix miniseries called 'Self-Made' starring Octavia Spencer), etc.

There's a lot here and maybe it's me not being familiar with it but overall it was a struggle to read. But I'd recommend it, perhaps best as a library borrow. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Jul 18, 2020 |
Dabiri uses black hair as the central theme to discuss history, racism, the value of time, cultural appropriation, tradition, and more in this nonfiction book. It was an excellent read, one that opened my eyes to a topic I was woefully unaware of. Since finishing it I've found myself noticing representation in ads and TV shows more, esp in how they promote European beauty standards. She packs a lot of info into her critical breakdown, but her tone and style make it very readable.

“Beauty is, as ever, imagined through the characteristics of a standard not designed to include us. The only way Afro hair can seemingly fulfill the criteria for beauty is if we make it look like European hair—if we make ourselves look like something we are not.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 9, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,066,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible