Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister…

Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphix) (edition 2019)

by Ann M. Martin (Author)

Karen Brewer's imagination gets the best of her when she decides that her neighbor, Mrs. Porter--who has wild gray hair, wears black robes, and has a garden full of mysterious herbs--must be a witch.
Member:TeriTCarrillo
Title:Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphix)
Authors:Ann M. Martin (Author)
Info:Graphix (2019), Edition: Adapted, Adapted, Full-Color, 144 pages

Work Information

Karen's Witch: A Graphic Novel by Ann M. Martin

{My thoughts} – It is absolutely important for you to have read the other Baby Sitter Club Graphic Novels and or books to understand the characters in this book. Karen is Kristy’s younger Step-sister and she has one entertaining imagination. She has it in her head that their next door neighbor Mrs. Porter is a witch. She believes this so much so that she has scared herself and isn’t able to sleep well at night. She also obsesses over the concept and continually spies on Mrs. Porter.

One night she swears she saw Mrs. Porter and her cat fly into the night on a broom stick. Another day she swears she learned about a witch meeting that is suppose to take place at Mrs. Porter’s house. She takes everything she hears to a whole different level within her imagination.

I can see how a child can have such an imagination once they get certain things caught in their heads. It was fun to read where the story went. I look forward to reading more books in this series in the future. ( )
  Zapkode | Jun 1, 2024 |
I read this because I grew up with the Babysitters Club and the sister series as well. It was a cute little throwback to my childhood. ( )
  Summer345456 | Jan 25, 2023 |
Young Karen Brewer suspects that her father's neighbor is a witch -- she has a black cat, wears long robes, has stringy gray hair, and keeps an herb garden. When Karen and her friend Hannie eavesdrop on the neighbor and hear she's having company soon, Karen becomes convinced that a meeting of witches will be happening right next door and she must save the whole town. But is it possible that Karen is confused?

This was a really cute and quick read in the new graphic novel versions of Ann M. Martin's classic Baby-Sitters Club series. In fact, it is the kick-off of the graphic novel versions of the "Little Sister" run of BSC. This series can have a dual audience -- fans of the regular BSC run will likely love reading more of Karen's antics in her own title. However, the younger protagonist, simpler plot, and shorter text makes this one accessible to a younger audience as well; I'm thinking younger siblings who see their older siblings reading the BSC series will be thrilled to have a title that is age appropriate for them as well.

The illustrations fit nicely with the text and are very expressive when need be. My only quibble with the book is that Karen seems to learn her lesson -- until she doesn't on the final page, in which she states she still knows that their neighbor is witch. I guess it's in line with her character, but it seemed to undercut the serious turn the book took when it pointed out her foibles. The book shows some diversity with Hannie being a child of color and Karen's parents being divorced and re-married to new partners (with stepchildren involved on her father's side). ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 10, 2020 |
This spin-off from the Baby-Sitters Club features Kristy Thomas' six-year-old step-sister, Karen, an annoying little brat who doesn't seem to have learned a thing by the end of this simple, but well-done adventure. I'm not sure I could put up with her for a second book though . . . ( )
  villemezbrown | Jan 20, 2020 |

Ann M. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Farina, KatyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the graphic novel adaptation by Ann M. Martin and Katy Farina. Do not combine with Ann M. Martin's original novel with the same title.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,704,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible