On the Corner of Hope and Main: A Blessings Novel

by Beverly Jenkins

4219460,332 (3.46)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the tenth novel in “The Blessings Series“ by Beverly Jenkins, set in the historic town of Henry Adams, Kansas, one of the last surviving townships founded by freed slaves after the Civil War. With the millions Bernadine Brown received after divorcing her faithless tycoon husband, she saved the town from financial ruin and found loving homes for five needy children.

In this novel, Bernadine's philandering, troublemaking ex-husband is in town looking to make trouble again in Henry Adams.

As in all her blessings novels, Jenkins has not disappointed me. She has mastered the characters, their inner story, and the bonds that glues the community together is written well. She always refreshes the reader with a short version of their back story as if you hadn’t read any of the previous blessings novels. If you have read them in sequence it’s a quick refresher to the characters.

Jenkins weaves new people within the town of Henry Adams and it brings fresh appeal to this amazing series of adventures, dilemmas, drama, and romance. I love it, and can’t wait for the 11th edition to the “Blessings Series”! ( )
  altima313 | Jul 29, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bernadine is not only a major player in the town where she lives, she actually owns the town itself. She is a great strong female character who has lots of great friends, complicated relationships with the men in her life, and a strong moral center. There's nothing particularly novel about this story--it's a relatively formulaic small town goes through something difficult, comes together to solve it, and comes out stronger on the other side kind of story. But, it's very well written and the characters are interesting and well-defined. I really enjoyed this book and hope to read more in the series. ( )
  drsyko | Jun 12, 2020 |
3.5 stars

I haven't read this series in order. I could tell immediately that I jumped into an already moving train. I don't know how much that lack of knowledge hurt me but I get that the heroine Bernadine Brown is divorced and it was quite messy. She is currently separated from Malachi, the man she loves, because of some embezzlement scam.

Bernadine is an independent, strong-willed business woman who has plans to help her town grow. She has to learn to navigate the men who are on the town council as well as what she wants out of life. The author did a great job establishing a strong heroine who is capable, intelligent and clever.

There is a lot going on in this book but the story revolves around relationships. Multi-generational family drama takes front and center as its clear that some of the characters mentioned are from prior books. I enjoyed it but I did wish I had more foundation on Malachi and Bernadine as well as her weasel ex husband. ( )
  Ezinwanyi | May 13, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Trent July has been Mayor of this historic town for four years . He is ready to step down and let someone else be Mayor. Barrett Payne decides he wants to be Mayor so he decides to run for the job . It seems he will be elected but than a surprise candidate throws there hat in the ring also. Now it is up to the town to decide who would be the best Mayor. o add to the drama Malachi July is still paying reparations for damage he caused and to the people he betrayed especially his lady love Bernadine. Can she ever forgive him and let the past go? The residents know life can throw obstacles in your path it is all in how you move past them and come together as a community to face them. ( )
  Georgiann | Apr 7, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you LibraryThing Early Reviewers for the opportunity to read this book. This book is part of a series and it would have been helpful to have read the other books in the series. Because of this, I had trouble following in the beginning but once I got into it, I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  lvmygrdn | Apr 7, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Jenkins's book On the Corner of Hope and Main was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,622,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible