dismiss

Esme's Gift: A thrilling odyssey awaits…

Esme's Gift: A thrilling odyssey awaits (Esme Trilogy Book 2) (edition 2019)

by Elizabeth Foster (Author)

Series: Esme Trilogy (2)

Member:Letora
Title:Esme's Gift: A thrilling odyssey awaits (Esme Trilogy Book 2)
Authors:Elizabeth Foster (Author)
Info:Odyssey Books (2019), 304 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:magic, deragons, young adult, appropriate

Esme's Gift (Esme Trilogy) by Elizabeth Foster

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderfully descriptive and magical adventure which follows through well from the first book. It conjured up many amazing creatures and images for me. I have recommended it to my teenage daughter and her friends. ( )
  Belles2 | Jun 30, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book continues Aeolia and Esme's story after Esme's Wish,. The character does a great job of keeping things together with lots of adventures and a great story. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 29, 2020 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Esme's Gift

Esme’s mother lies in a coma. The only way to wake her is to make a magical elixir, but using it comes with a high cost. If it isn’t mixed correctly, Esme may lose her mother forever. Esme must master her gift to look back in time to save her mother. She must find all the ingredients as she races against the clock. But gifts are running wild now that the balance of Esperance has been restored. And there’s a new boy in town that brings back awful memories of Nathan Mare. Can Esme find all the ingredients in time? Or will she once again lose her mother?

Esme will travel to new areas of Aeolia, expanding on the world-building Elizabeth Foster so artfully crafted in the first book. Readers will be swept away by the magic as Esme faces her toughest obstacles yet. But she isn’t alone. Best friends Daniel and Lillian will be right beside her, lending their strength and the use of their newfound gifts.

While the first book hinted at why Esme and her stepmother, Penelope, didn’t get along, Esme’s Gift expands on her stepmother’s behavior. Readers will see how Penelope acts towards Esme and her true intentions. I am glad that Esme had the world of Aeolia to turn to when things took a turn for the worst at home. Though I felt bad for Esme as her father refused to believe Esperance was real, I found comfort in the fact that she had a group of friends waiting for her in Aeolia who would do anything to help her.

I could not put this book down as Esme and her friends found themselves in new situations that forced them to grow as characters. There was so much more tension and conflict as they learned about Aeolia’s dark past and faced down new challenges. And all the while there was a clock ticking in the background as Esme’s mother continued to fade away. Rest assured, readers will find a mix of action, adventure, and mystery in this novel.

And there is so much left to tell of Esme’s story! I can’t wait for another addition to this series! ( )
  Letora | Jun 12, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A decent, if somewhat predictable, follow-up to "Esme's Wish." It's a fairly standard portal fantasy, and like its predecessor I enjoyed it well enough for someone far outside the target audience. As a second book it inevitably lacks the "wonder" of the first, and fails to make up for it with more (or any) character development. But still, it's a perfectly fine story. ( )
  Landwaster | May 20, 2020 |
Book received for review (Who cares about the disclaimer I always review books how I want).
A lovely sequel. A much happier ending, but I want to read book three. One character who you only really get to meet in this book gets left. I want to know what happened to him. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

As fifteen-year-old Esme Silver lurched off the ferry and onto the water-lashed wharf, she swayed as if she were still at sea.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Elizabeth Foster's book Esme's Gift (#2 in the Esme series) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Elizabeth Foster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible