The Last Colony by John Scalzi

The Last Colony (edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.
Member:dharding
Title:The Last Colony
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Books (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

Recently added byBookHavenAZ, LadyUndomiel, Voctir123, alent1234, egaston, TangledPages, private library, jbruto
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (99)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (102)
This book started off really cool. I expected a story of a lost colony struggling to deal with intelligent life on a new planet. Maybe deal with the consequences and debate of colonization. However, the story switched into a man-in-the-middle between two feuding governments that could destroy humanity.

I would have enjoyed either one of those stories, but I seemed to get half of each.

There was also an authors note at the end that this book concludes the series for the main characters. There are three more books in what is called the Old Man War's series so I'm not sure what those would be about. ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
By far the best in the series, a solid piece of space opera that functions as a thriller with many twists and turns and a genuine page turner. Clearly the best books in the series have John Perry and/or Jane Sagan in them, they are as strong and interesting a pair of characters as you'll find in modern sci fi and the series loses a lot when Scalzi by his own admission retires them after this book. The supporting cast of Zoe and the inscrutable Obins Hickory and Dickory add further depth. Just a wonderful read. ( )
  drmaf | Oct 8, 2019 |
"We need to discuss your treason problem", Manfred Trujillo said to me. "I don't have a problem with treason," I said. "I can stop anytime." - The Last Colony

I can only mirror what I said about the previous book, [b:The Ghost Brigades|239399|The Ghost Brigades|John Scalzi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316729668s/239399.jpg|18279845]. It is a piece of fun science fiction without too much depth to it, which suffers from being in the middle between "serious" and "funny" science fiction.

It has its funny moments, although, while still frequent, they are fewer than in the previous book. It has some more serious moments, but they are, while interesting, shallow compared to many other books.

I still like the universe. I still like the characters. I like the story. I like the humor. But, compared to [b:Old Man's War|51964|Old Man's War|John Scalzi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346671475s/51964.jpg|50700], you can see a distinct difference in the style, and I just liked the first better.

I still read through this book within an afternoon, so it can't be that bad. I still recommend it to fans of the series. But, Mr. Scalzi, please stick to being funny. You are good at it. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
John Perry and Jane Sagan have 'retired' from the Colonial Defense forces and along with their adopted daughter Zoe, have been tasked with overseeing a new colony. However, the sneaky underhandedness of the CDF has conspired to leave them stranded on this new planet, unable to utilize any electronic technology lest they be discovered by The Conclave, a new alliance of 405 alien races who plan to keep all the good planets for themselves.
Perry and Sagan continue to be delightful characters as they struggle with their situation as well as the political machinations and just plain stupidity of the colonists as well as the situation the CDF has put them in. Zoe is a refreshing delight and I love, love, love her Obin "bodyguards" Hickory and Dock. This world continues to build and Scalzi keeps the reader guessing as to who can be trusted and who the 'bad guys' are. A very deft line to walk indeed. Excellent work. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 6, 2019 |
With the third book in the Old Man's War saga John Scalzi finally unveils the dark forces running underneath the Colonial Union as the powerful hints from previous installments come to the light: the older people being enlisted, and given young bodies so they can fight on behalf of the C.U., are plunged into their new life without the slightest idea of what awaits them; the soldiers "created" from the DNA of enlisted but deceased citizens are employed in the Ghost Brigades, where their empty consciousness is conditioned to tight "esprit de corps" that keeps them removed from the rest of humanity.

Here, in The Lost Colony, the C.U.'s misinformation and guilty silences come to the fore in a ruthless political and strategic play that blithely disregards the individuals' safety and rights, using and discarding them like so many pawns.

Once again John Scalzi, under the guise of a light, fresh and engaging narrative, manages to touch on many deep subjects, like freedom of choice, the power of information (or the power exercised by withholding it) and the meaning of being human. And once again I've been pleasantly surprised by this writer's ability to deal with these issues in a deceptively simple and unassuming way: he entertains his readers first, then he sets them to thinking.

If I were to find any fault with this book, it would be in its brevity: I could not shake the definite feeling that it was somehow... abridged, for want of a better word, and that much more could have been shown about this vision of the future. Maybe the next one in line, that promises to revisit these events through the eyes of young Zoe – the protagonists' adopted daughter – will fill in those blank spaces.

I'm certain I will have fun finding out if that's true.
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,199,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible