dismiss

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

The Last Colony (edition 2008)

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (3)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.
Member:Jisi
Title:The Last Colony
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (103)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (106)
Again no writing awards for this one but I like 90 yr old dad and Jane and Zoey and the Oben. I don't like all the he said she said jane said zoey said I said etc...i'd say 3.75 ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
The Conclave warned us
diverse colonies, or none
we thumbed our noses. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Another great book in this series. For some reason, felt like something was missing, but it was still a good page turner. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
this is a tentative review, as I've still got a good 3/4 of the book to go. So far though, it's kind of boring. It's witty, as Scalzi is even in his sleep, but it gets a little tiring when the humor comes in nearly the same flavor from every major and minor character. The plot is just barely there. I hope something interesting or at least exciting is coming soon to earn another star. You can do it Scalzi, I believe in you! ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
80 points, 4 ¼ stars!

John Perry has retired from the Colonial Defence Forces along with his wife Jane Sagan. They have a daughter, Zoe, that they adopted after her father died. A father who is beloved by another race as their hero, and who love Zoe as well. But the CDF has reached out to Perry and Sagan to become the leaders of a new human colony. They accept, but it goes wrong from the very beginning. The Colonial Union is playing a game, and it involves the lives of all the colonists.

Quote:
“The story of how I left Huckleberry begins -- as do all worthy stories -- with a goat.”

Review:
The Last Colony had a very slow, very frustrating start with a massively interesting pay off in the end. The kind of payoff I've been wanting the entire time I've been reading this series. Even though the very, very last bit of the book made me very angry for personal reasons.

With this book, we're back with John Perry and Jane Sagan. There has been a time jump of a few years since the previous book ended, and they've been together for years now. They adopted Zoe together, and now she is a a teenager who has two bodyguards in the form of Hickory and Dickory. They are two in a dangerous alien race who basically worship her. Good bodyguards.

John Perry isn't as annoying as he was in the first book. I actually like him now. He has mellowed out with age (which is funny, since he was already 75 years old in the first book). Jane Sagan is even more awesome than she was in the first two books. She may be my hero right now. Zoe is trying to just be a normal teenager, when she is anything but. Hickory and Dickory are both trying to figure out how to even have a sense of self, now that their race has the technology to become self-aware. Together, the five of them form an amazing family, and I absolutely love families like this in my reading journeys.

Together, Perry and Sagan are asked by the Colonial Union to form a new colony. Which sounds awesome. In its infinite wisdom, the CU decides to call the colony Roanoke. I'll wait as you get past the groans and the facepalming. Yeah, that's right. Roanoke. Like nothing could possibly go wrong with a name like that.

Oh, you mean absolutely everything goes wrong with a name like that? What an absolute shocker.

All jokes aside, I actually really enjoyed the story presented once it actually got underway. The beginning was pretty boring, because not a lot happened. It was all convincing each other they wanted to go, setting things up to go, and then getting to the planet and actually having to de Colony-type things before everything goes pear-shaped.

In fact, it isn't until about 60% of the way through the book when things start really heating up. And once that happened holy shit did things get very interesting, very fast. It was exactly what I really hoped for at the start of the series. Just truly epic sci-fi. To my great happiness.

It looks like The Last Colony is going to be the last book with John and Jane together in the front. The end of an arc. The next book looks like this book, only with Zoe in the lead, and after that a bunch of random people I don't recognise. A bit disappointing, since I finally got around to liking Perry. However, they look intriguing so I'm going to keep the hope up.

So, if there is to really be no more after this, let me say to the ending: Fuck You.
Thank you. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,628,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible