Caves of Steel (Robot City) by Isaac Asimov

Caves of Steel (Robot City) (original 1954; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov

5,71595743 (3.95)2 / 192
Member:deviantscratchnsniff
Title:Caves of Steel (Robot City)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (1954)

English (90)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  All (95)
2.5 stars

It had its moments, but Asimov was better off simply ignoring the female half of the human race in his characters, and I wasn't wowed by the ending. Maybe Ian just needs to explain to me why it's awesome. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Updated rating on this based on a current re-read of this series. This was a much better story than I previously remembered and really enjoyed the story line presented. Please be aware if you pick this one up that the terminology and vocabulary used are pretty well out of date but for me this didn't deter from the story told.

Recommended for any fan if Isaac Asimov... ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
Now we're talking! While I, Robot set the stage, this was a full on production of a fantastic show. Loved every minute of this - amazing how this was written 64 years ago and still feels fresh and prophetic. The general population's anxiety towards automation and technology, the longing to return to our past and the "good old days", the idea of fixing society being easier than fixing yourself first, all of it is filled with well written, if dated, dialogue, characters and motivations. Sets up the next book (or the next 13!) and I can't wait to read them. Late to the party on this one, but I couldn't be more impressed. ( )
  hskey | Dec 30, 2017 |
"What I hold is not a neuronic whip, nor is it a tickler. It is a blaster and very deadly. I will use it and I will not aim over your heads. I will kill many of you before you seize me, perhaps most of you. I am serious. I look serious, do I not?"

The wonderful thing about Isaac Asimov is that he's just so readable. A person can pick up one of his books and just dive in with little or no preparation, and yet Asimov is still able to open up different worlds and distant futures. Asimov also has a way of making one think about the issues that society will face in the future. These are just a few reasons why Asimov is rightly regarded as one of the real giants of science fiction.

The Caves of Steel is a mystery story. It is also a science fiction story. The title refers to how populated Earth has become in the distant future. There are so many people that our planet has become one gigantic city. Every piece of ground is covered with buildings that not only rise high into the air but also descend deep under the surface--like caves of steel. In this future, a murder has been committed, and police detective Elijah Bailey has been given the task of finding the killer. He is also forced to take on a new partner: Robot Daneel Olivaw.

For me, the pleasure of reading The Caves of Steel comes more from watching Bailey and Olivaw interact than from trying to solve the mystery. The mystery story is fairly interesting, but what I enjoyed more was trying to imagine what it would be like to live in a world populated by robots. Asimov does a very good job of showing the kinds of issues humanity would have to deal with if we ever got to the point of making intelligent, humanoid robots.

The Caves of Steel is an easy-to-read, entertaining book that asks important questions about the future. It's a great introduction to science fiction, especially for those who don't think that they like science fiction, and it's also great for mystery fans looking for something different. ( )
2 vote nsenger | Nov 12, 2017 |
This combination of science fiction and mystery has long been a favorite of mine. I love Elijah stumbling his way to the truth -- when I read it, I imagined Columbo (and it remains my image of Elijah to this day). I liked Daneel, his robotic partner, who is so patient and understanding. Through the partnership's interactions, I learned more about both cultures. It didn't hurt that the mystery was a good one, too.

If you like science fiction and mysteries and haven't read this, then what are you waiting for? Get this now! If it has been a while since you read it, it holds up fairly well. And I'm off to read The Naked Sun. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Nov 9, 2017 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my wife GERTRUDE and My Son DAVID
Lije Baley had just reached his desk when he became aware of R. Sammy watching him expectantly.
Lije Baley acababa de sentarse a su mesa cuando se dio cuenta de que R. Sammy lo estaba mirando con expectación.
But now, Earthmen are all so coddled, so enwombed in their imprisoning caves of steel, that they are caught forever. (p. 97)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553293400, Mass Market Paperback)

A millennium into the future two advancements have altered the course of human history:  the colonization of the galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain.  Isaac Asimov's Robot novels chronicle the unlikely partnership between a New York City detective and a humanoid robot who must learn to work together.  Like most people left behind on an over-populated Earth, New York City police detective Elijah Baley had little love for either the arrogant Spacers or their robotic companions.  But when a prominent Spacer is murdered under mysterious circumstances, Baley is ordered to the Outer Worlds to help track down the killer.  The relationship between Life and his Spacer superiors, who distrusted all Earthmen, was strained from the start.  Then he learned that they had assigned him a partner:  R. Daneel Olivaw.  Worst of all was that the "R" stood for robot--and his positronic partner was made in the image and likeness of the murder victim!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:24 -0400)

Fearing a violent confrontation between Earthmen and Spacers, Detective Baley and his new partner, a robot made in the image of the victim, investigate the murder of a Spacetown scientist.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible