What is Science? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich

What is Science? (original 2006; edition 2016)

by Rebecca Kai Dotlich

Introduces young children to the ever-changing world of science and about curiosity, asking questions, and exploring possible answers.
Member:greinertsen17
Title:What is Science?
Authors:Rebecca Kai Dotlich
Info:Square Fish
Rating:*****
Tags:Science

What Is Science? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich (2006)

The book What is Science? describes science as being stars and planets, rocks and soil, hurricanes and airplanes and so much more. It's also about curiosity. There are questions and possible answers.This helps the reader understand how exciting science can be. I give this book five out of five stars because Rebecca Kai Dotlich does a good job of providing students with simple words and child-friendly illustrations.The book is a short poem spread out onto many pages. I would use this book for an anticipatory set and on the first day of science to introduce what it is. This book would be great for grades K-2. ( )
  greinertsen17 | Nov 8, 2019 |
This book goes over all that science can be. It shows many topics including space, rocks, plants, natural hazards, and many other things. It talks about how people question what is happening in the world so scientist try to discover and come up with explanations for what is happening. It ends with the line, "So what is science? So many things!" I like this book because it can connect to all kids interests. Some kids will be interested in the space part and some will be interested more in the plant part (and all the other things). I also really like the pictures. They are fun and colorful while showing the topic. I would use this book to introduce the ideas of science to young kids. I would probably do a read aloud and then create an anchor chart that shows all what science can be. ( )
  meghanhoward | Oct 21, 2019 |
What is science? Science is the study of so many things! This picture book for young children uses fun, bright illustrations to showcase the many different things that science explores. It uses children as the scientists, which allows the imagination of children to see themselves in the role of a scientist. Who wouldn’t want to put themselves in a dinosaur dig or watch a volcano blow? While this book does not delve in depth into any one area of science, it does give a vast overview of all the things that science studies. “What is Science?” would be a great addition to any Pre-K to 1st-grade classroom library. ( )
  csmith18 | May 25, 2019 |
This is a good book for younger ages. It shows the different aspects of science. It kind of does not have a set in stone answer and it is more about getting the wheels turning and allowing the students to think about science. ( )
  RikkiPerkins | Apr 25, 2018 |
This book explores the question, "What is Science?" The text explains that science is everything around us. Bugs, land, weather all concern things of science.

This book was told in a rhyming pattern. The text lists of all of the different things involved with science. While I think this would be great for a science class, I think it would be good for a different reason. The text does not explain the science behind the list of things that involve science. I think the illustrations would be a good reason to share this book because you can take the time to have a discussion about the different science tools that are shown throughout the story. Great book for an introduction to science. ( )
  ShelbyNicks | Nov 26, 2017 |
1999 ( [1999])
To Lee Bennett Hopkins -- spectacular, forever friend -- R.K.D.
For Tomlinson Fort and my uncle Kotaro Hirata, with special thanks to Namiko Rudi and Kana Suzuki -- S.Y.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,621,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible