Where Eagles Dare by Alistair Maclean

Where Eagles Dare (original 1967; edition 1967)

by Alistair Maclean

Title:Where Eagles Dare
Authors:Alistair Maclean
Info:Doubleday (1967), Hardcover, 312 pages

Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean (1967)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
3.5 stars ...This was my first MacLean read and I thoroughly enjoyed the action and his writing style however I was completely confused at the beginning. I didnt know who was suppose to be the good guys and bad guys and who was suppose to English, American or German. It was just not very clearly written I dont think at the beginning. Toward the middle is when I actually started really enjoying it. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Growing up in the UK my reading material was an eclectic mixture of Enid Blyton children's adventure novels, Ian Fleming and John Gardner espionage tales and Alistair MacLean wartime escapades. It was in this environment that my love for well crafted tales of suspense, adventure and espionage was fostered and nowhere is this more apparent than in the MacLean thriller WHERE EAGLES DARE.
Second among my favorite MacLean works (my all-time favorite being WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL) the storyline for WHERE EAGLES DARE was faithfully recreated for the 1960s movie with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood (not surprising really since MacLean adapted his own novel for the screen).
A group of British Commando's along with an American Ranger parachute behind the German lines in World War 2. Their stated mission: the rescue of an American General who has been captured by the Nazi's and taken to a mountaintop fortress.
Of course like many I had seen the movie several times before finally settling down to read the book, but settle down I did and what a ride MacLean treated us to. The action is well described with white-knuckle realism and MacLean's complex and intricate plotting is both well structured and compelling. For those unfamiliar with either the book or the novel there is also a nice twist that to this day has me marveling at its pure ingenuity.
Okay so the dialogue may not be the best, but I for one do not read MacLean novels for their dialogue.
For adventure novels, MacLean is the master as much as Agatha Christie is the Queen of the whodunnit. I wish that the entire series of novels would be reprinted for a new generation to enjoy. ( )
  DarrenHarrison | Jul 28, 2016 |
It was always going to be difficult to enjoy this book having just read and been astounded by the brilliant Submerged by Thomas F Monteleone. As a youth I have fond memories of the boys own type thrillers by Scottish born Alistair McLean, and on initial reading I recall that Where Eagles Dare was a first class page-turner. Unfortunately revisiting this 2ndWW thriller after many years has not proved so enjoyable.

The story starts off with a great flourish when Major Smith and Lt Shaffer together with their motley crew are sent on a perilous mission to the Schloss Adler, a fortress high in the alps of Southern Bavaria. There is initial intrigue when having parachuted into enemy territory one of the saboteurs is found murdered, there is an enemy agent within the ranks! We then proceed in a set formulaic manner as Smith and Shaffer proceed to infiltrate the fortress stronghold by means of a perilous journey on the roof of a cable car. Their task it would appear is to rescue Col Carnaby before the Germans can interrogate him and discover the plans for the second front ie the expected imminent Normandy Landings. There is lots of shooting, and a final confrontation within the castle when the true nature of Smith’s mission is disclosed. This is followed by more shooting as our brave heroes depart the bloody scene amidst chaos and a smouldering fortress that is fast being destroyed by fire and turning into dust and decay.

This is a clean easily assimilated adventure story suited to the minds and attitude of teenage boys emerging from a youth spent reading the adventures of comic heroes Batman and Superman. It is not really a book to satisfy the intellect or demands of an adult reader due to its simplicity and soulless empty characters. It is probably best remembered for the 1968 movie starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood with the immortal words “Broadsword calling Danny Boy, he said Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Can you hear me? Can you hear me? It is also equally absurd as representing the German high command as bumbling fools who somehow allowed a small trained group of saboteurs to destroy a seemingly well protected impregnable fortress and as they escape are heard to say..” Gott in Himmel!” They’ve got away.”

Perhaps I criticize and reprimand a story that is simply there to entertain, and not to be viewed as a well researched and informative thriller. That may be so but in the final analysis I demand more from my reading than a routine adventure with a much frequented theme and a predictable conclusion. ( )
  runner56 | Feb 19, 2016 |
Where Eagles Dare is the most fast-paced, action-oriented, craziest thriller I have ever read. Which is good, because it's largely unbelievable. The plot is too crazy, the characters too unreal, etc., et al for this to be read as a believable book. And that is a shame.

In the book, a team of six British commandos and one American OSS agent parachute into the Alps to gain entrance to a German fortress that can only be accessed by aerial gondola. It's also the headquarters for the Gestapo and Nazi intelligence. It's surrounded by a barracks of German alpine troops, who are supposed to be elite.

The reason for this mission is, theoretically, to rescue a downed American general who is in charge of coordinating D-Day. They need to get him before the Germans get info out of him, so time is of the essence. We soon see, however, other reasons for the mission.

The protagonist, Smith, though is problematic. See, he possesses super human strength and endurance and is generally omniscient. In other words, not remotely believable. He rides atop the gondola twice without being blown off, in one case with Germans grabbing his legs and trying to throw him off. With the altitude, the high winds, and the cold, it just doesn't seem likely. Additionally, this book is full of double and even triple agents and Smith knows all. We're never told how he comes by half of his information; we're just to accept it. I have problems with that.

Nonetheless, as I said, it's an action packed book, a real page turner. It's rather stunning how they pull this off, all the while with people dying off all around them, and the twist at the end is a real shocker. Of course Smith knew of the twist. Yeah. I'd give this book three stars for believability, but it's so good, I'm giving it four. Recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Dec 16, 2014 |
Great pulp fiction. MacLean was a master. My only complaint is that the publisher was not careful with the formatting - quite a few small errors. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Dec 15, 2014 |

MacLean, Alistairprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canavan, SusanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hartun, Per A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoff and Gina
The vibrating clangour from the four great piston engines set teeth on edge and made an intolerable assault on cringing eardrums.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0002219247, Hardcover)

Where Eagles Dare, by MacLean, Alistair. 8vo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

One winter night, seven men and a woman are parachuted onto a mountainside in wartime Germany. Their objective is to rescue a crashed American general before the Nazi interrogators can force him to reveal secret D-Day plans.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,773,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible