The Ones We're Meant to Find by Joan He

The Ones We're Meant to Find (edition 2021)

by Joan He (Author)

Member:Librarianin3B
Title:The Ones We're Meant to Find
Authors:Joan He (Author)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2021), 384 pages

The Ones We're Meant to Find by Joan He

Even though this book was rather slow I actually enjoyed it up until the ending, the ending did not make me happy... ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book. I got a finished copy of this through Amazon Vine to review.

Thoughts: I was expecting to love this but ended up mostly frustrated with it. While I did stay engaged in most of the story and did finish it, I found the ending incredibly unsatisfying.

The story alternates between Cee (who has been trapped on an island for years) and Kasey (her very highly intelligent sister who is living on an eco-city as a result of climate collapse). The first half of the book moves at a very deliberate pace..which I hoped was building to something amazing.

Unfortunately, even though the story does pick up pace in the second half of the book, it starts to jump around a lot both in POV and time and becomes very confusing. I found myself rereading portions over and over again. None of the science here is explained at all and just assumed to be viable at a very high sci-fi level. Some of the leaps in logic and story are just very hard to follow.

Then the ending...absolutely no closure there. This is one of those books where the reader gets to decide what they think happened and I hate those types of books. I feel like the author is just being lazy because they aren't sure what they actually want to have happen.

So, did I enjoy parts of this book...yes. Did I think the ideas presented were intriguing...yes. However, the pacing was off and, towards the end, the story feels very fractured. Then there is absolutely no closure what-so-ever. If you dig those kinds of books you may love this...for me those kinds of books are my nemesis, I absolutely hate them.

My Summary (3/5): Overall this book was disappointing to me. I liked some of the ideas presented but also felt like the pacing was very inconsistent. The story starts out slow and then kind of fractures, jumping around and switching POV willy nilly. Then the ending just killed me, there is no closure and nothing is resolved...I hate those kinds of books. I finished it, but I won’t be seeking out more of He’s books. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 1, 2021 |
after a lot of thinking, this book is going to be a solid 3.5 (round up to 4) for me.

i really loved the characters and the plot twists in the book. i think cee was my favorite character in the entire book. she was set up to be one thing, but once we found out what she really was, her story took a whole different direction. i think it helped that she was the first person narrator of her chapters. i also really liked her relationship with hero!

also the plot twists had me on the edge of my seat. i literally couldn't stop reading because every time i hit the end of a chapter, there was something propelling me forward into the next chapter. it made this book very hard to put down.

the issues i had were with the world-building and the pacing. i liked that it wasn't just an info dump about the eco-cities, but sometimes i felt lost because stuff would be mentioned, barely explained, and then it was continuously mentioned throughout the entire book. I think a small glossary of the important acts and acronyms of the eco-city would've been helpful. if i ever reread this i might write these things down as i go along to avoid the confusion.

on top of that, i had issues with the pacing. i didn't mind cee's chapters, although sometimes it veered away from the survivalist stuff. but we would get a cliffhanger on cee's chapter, and then during kasey's chapter it would be a combination of a lot of information and extremely dense language. plus, kasey's chapters often ended up being a lot longer than cee's.

kasey as a character is more analytical and less emotional, so her chapters were interesting but took more to get through. they often ended up slowing me down because if i didn't pay attention in a spot i missed something, but at the same time there wasn't a lot of action going on. i understand why this was necessary, but it still took away from the reading experience for me.

anyways, even with the issues i would definitely recommend buying this book. the absolute beauty of the cover and the hardback itself make it one of my favorite additions to my collection! check out any tw/cw before reading! ( )
  thebookqueensx | Aug 20, 2021 |
The Ones We're Meant to Find is a beautifully written story told from the perspective of two sisters living on a dystopian near future earth ravaged by natural disasters caused by climate change and pollution.
Cee woke up naked and alone on an abandoned island three years ago, her only companion a bot called U-me. She is compelled to cross the sea to find her sister Kay, but suffers from amnesia. She has been struggling to survive and build a boat.
Kasey lives in a sky city above the ocean which has been designed to minimize environmental impact and carbon output. Her sister Celia disappeared several months ago and is presumed dead. Kasey struggles to relate to other people (she perhaps has ASD) but is a scientific genius. She has been investigating the disappearance of her sister.
The reader is kept in the dark initially and has the feeling that something isn't adding up. There is an enormous twist that explains everything. The Ones We're Meant to Find is an emotional, lyrical thought provoking book with enormous depth. It raises questions about the price future generations will pay for our irresponsibility and carelessness, about what makes life meaningful and worth living, about what should be rights and what should be freedoms. This haunting story will stay with you long after you close the cover. ( )
  PennyOlson | May 25, 2021 |
4.5 stars

I have never heard of this author before this book but the moment I saw that Marie Lu loved it, on top of the wonderfully intriguing plot summary and cover, I had to read it. And after reading this story I can confidently say that if she continues to write books she will be an auto-read author. It's hard for me to believe that she's only written one story before because the writing in this book and the plot is so unbelievably entertaining that it's hard to believe she hasn't had multiple international bestsellers. And I can tell that this book is going to be one that every lover of young adult, dystopian, and science fiction will have to read.

I really liked how even though this is a dystopian world the problems in it relate to what we see in today's world. The world that this story is set in is full of pollution and environmental problems. In order to escape the pollution, the government has built ecocities in the sky to try to escape the effects it has on the body. Then there is a nice science fiction element because the people can spend their days in an alternate reality through technology and they do this to try to eliminate driving and other things that would cause more pollution in the world

This story is told from two sisters' POVs who are trying to find one another. I really liked Cee's chapters as it has a nice element of survival and adventure. She's abandoned on an island with a robot and trying to survive as well as make her way back to a sister she hardly remembers. Throughout the book, we're slowly learning more as she gets her memories back. We also get chapters from her sister which helps us to have a different outlook on the world and to understand how it functions better. We follow her as she does a little bit of detective work to figure out what led her sister to the point of disappearing and now everyone thinks she's dead. She also works with someone who knew her sister to figure out the truth and to come up with a solution for the world's problems.

At times I felt like the actions of the characters was a little forced especially in some of the romantic relationships that happen. The romance doesn't make up the book but there is a little bit and for me, I wasn't into their relationship at all because it was very unnatural. But the other relationships in the book especially the ones between sisters were very engaging and had me caring for them and what happened to them.

I also love that this book had a nice mystery element to it. So this book took two of my favorite genres, dystopian/science fiction, and thriller/mystery, and put them into one. I didn't think this book would be a mystery but it definitely had that psychological thriller element. I did not see the twists and turns coming and when it happened I was shocked. But once learning the truth I could understand things that I couldn't make sense of before. And after knowing the truth there were little details that I remember reading before and thinking that's kind of off, but now understanding the truth it all clicked. The author did wonderful adding little hints and details that if you look close enough you would figure out something, but I don't think you would be able to understand the whole truth until it is revealed to you.

The ending also had me needing more. I know this is a standalone novel but it definitely ended in a way that could become another book. You can kind of guess what happens but I love this story so much that I hope that the author will decide to make another book. There is so much that could still be said. Overall a wonderful new story where what's inside is just as stunning as the cover. ( )
  NatureGraceReader | May 25, 2021 |

Joan Heprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydoğdu, AykutCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom, a sister in spirit.

And for Leigh. Thanks for loving Kasey most.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea. -e.e. cummings "maggie and milly and molly and may"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,372,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible