Well Played by Jen DeLuca

Well Played (edition 2020)

by Jen DeLuca (Author)

Series: Well Met (2)

Member:venomquartz
Title:Well Played
Authors:Jen DeLuca (Author)
Info:Berkley (2020), 336 pages

Well Played by Jen DeLuca

Stacey has spent the last few years working in the summer at the local Renaissance Faire, while having a fling with traveling musician, Dex MacLean, but Stacey is ready for more than just a once a year physical relationship. As a result, she begins communicating with Dex through social media after his group leaves and moves on to another faire. Through their communication, Stacey finds a depth in Dex that she never realized when they were together, so she looks forward to the time when the Renaissance Faire rolls around again and she gets to see Dex face to face. However, Stacey is in for a big surprise that will change everything.

Well Played continues the romance of Emma and Simon from the first book, while focusing on Stacey's story. The first half of this book is very slow with little to no conflict, but the pace definitely picks up in the last half of the book. The dynamic between the two protagonists is a little weak, and even at the end, it still seems as though Stacey isn't really getting what she wants out of life, but overall, Well Played is a cute romance, which continues the Well Met series. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
I want to shout from the rooftops how much I absolutely adored this book! I gave it 4.5/5 stars. This book had me constantly grinning because it was just too dang cute and I ended up binging it in one day.
Stacey is such a great character and I love that she talks about being plus size but is still a confident character. I also really enjoyed that this was technically the 2nd in a series but could be read as standalone if you wanted to. It was great getting to see the rest of Emily and Simon’s HEA and getting to see some of our favorite characters pop up again. I’m voting for an April and Mitch romance for the next book.
If you’re looking for a binge worthy, lighthearted, romance, you should definitely pick this up when it comes out on September 22nd!
Thank you to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for providing me with a free e-book copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  autumnpressley | Jan 19, 2021 |
Library Book. It may just be this crappy year but I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one. I struggled to keep reading but at the halfway point put it down for a couple of days, realized I really didn't care about the characters. Out of curiosity read the epilogue and the last chapter and I'm good with that... I may go back and read the whole book sometime but not right now. One thing I found really annoying was when Stacey refers to herself as past Stacey... Hello... Own your mistakes it's still you ( )
  nmgski | Dec 18, 2020 |
I really loved Well Met, the first book in this series, and I looked forward to this second book. While I didn't like it quite as much, it's still a solid effort with much of the same Renaissance Fair flavor of the first book.
Stacie is one of the tavern wenches paired with Emily from the first book. For a while, she's been having a summer fling with Dex, one of the traveling musicians who appear at the Fair. There isn't much to Dex, so she's surprised when he responds to a somewhat drunken email from her one night. This sets off a Cyrano de Bergerac type correspondence although Stacie doesn't find out until later that Dex is not the one she's been writing to.
It's a fun book and I still love the setting of the Renaissance Fair. Stacie and Daniel, the real correspondent, are a nice match and I really liked how they worked things out in the end. I hope Ms. DeLuca returns to the Renaissance Fair for another entry, but I'll still continue to follow and read her books. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Nov 24, 2020 |
It's summer again in Willow Creek, and that means Faire - and Emily and Simon's wedding (Well Met). Stacy is happy to be a bridesmaid with Emily's sister, April, but she's restless in her small town life and feels she's stuck. In the months leading up to Faire, however, Stacy's been e-mailing and texting with Dex MacLean, one of the Dueling Kilts, with whom she had a couple of no-strings summer flings. But online, Dex seems much deeper than in person...and then it turns out Stacy hasn't been corresponding with Dex at all, but with his cousin and the band's manager, Daniel MacLean.

Daniel misleads Stacy - twice - but it stems partly from him believing he's that much less desirable than his cousin. There really isn't that much for the couple to overcome here; it's a gentle, pleasant romance (only one steamy scene) enhanced by the Ren Faire setting. Next up, April and Mitch!

Quotes

And he was waiting...for me to take what we'd had all these months off-line and into real life. (ch. 14)

"I wanted to see if I was the same person when I wasn't around the same people." (ch. 21)

I realized now that I didn't need a sweeping romantic gesture. Daniel did. (ch. 22) ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 3, 2020 |

DeLuca, Jenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressley, BrittanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,487,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible