Well Played by Jen DeLuca

Well Played (edition 2020)

by Jen DeLuca (Author)

Series: Well Met (2)

"Another laugh-out-loud romantic comedy featuring kilted musicians, Renaissance Faire tavern wenches, and an unlikely love story. Stacey is jolted when her friends Simon and Emily get engaged. She knew she was putting her life on hold when she stayed in Willow Creek to care for her sick mother, but it's been years now, and even though Stacey loves spending her summers pouring drinks and flirting with patrons at the local Renaissance Faire, she wants more out of life. Stacey vows to have her life figured out by the time her friends get hitched at Faire next summer. Maybe she'll even find The One. When Stacey imagined "The One," it never occurred to her that her summertime Faire fling, Dex MacLean, might fit the bill. While Dex is easy on the eyes onstage with his band The Dueling Kilts, Stacey has never felt an emotional connection with him. So when she receives a tender email from the typically monosyllabic hunk, she's not sure what to make of it. Faire returns to Willow Creek, and Stacey comes face-to-face with the man with whom she's exchanged hundreds of online messages over the past nine months. To Stacey's shock, it isn't Dex-she's been falling in love with a man she barely knows"--… (more)
Member:chelseamay12
Title:Well Played
Authors:Jen DeLuca (Author)
Info:Berkley (2020), 336 pages

Work Information

Well Played by Jen DeLuca

meh. ( )
  littlemuls | Apr 11, 2022 |
Stacey has given up her dreams of being a fashion designer to care for her mother, who has been ill. The four weeks of Faire are the one thing she looks forward to every year. Every year, she has a NSA fling with Dex, a performer with the Rusty Kilts, who is rumored to have a wench at every faire. His cousin, Daniel, is their stage manager. Stacey impulsively drunk texts “Dex” and they begin communicating over the course of the year… but has she really been talking with him at all?

I absolutely loved WELL MET and was super excited to be back at the faire for book two as we see if Stacey will get her happy ending with Dex… er, Daniel. Part of what I loved about the first book was how it was based in the faire. The vast majority of book 1 was scenes from the Faire, preparing for the faire, etc. Here in WELL PLAYED, I liked the characters, especially Stacey. Most of this novel was the year she spent at home working as a receptionist at a dental practice, corresponding by email with Daniel, who is making her believe he’s his cousin, Dex. I loved the relationship Stacey had with her mom, and I loved seeing Emily and Simon again. I also eventually grew to love Stacey and Daniel… but I do hope for book three that we’re back at the faire which is where I think the magic in this series happens!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
2.5 stars
It wasn't a bad read, just slow and a bit on the boring side. What brought it down most for me was the hero. There wasn't enough of a grovel, in fact practically none at all, and that wasn't at all okay with me. I was left with a slightly bad taste in my mouth at the HEA. ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
3.5 stars
I didn't like this book nearly as much as the 1st one, for the sole reason that Stacy and Daniel weren't the kind of characters that can carry a book, fine as secondary characters but not as the main focus. That said it was still an interesting read and I'm really looking forward to book 3 because I believe the two main characters are going to be April and Mitch. Two very strong characters, that I can't wait to see having interactions with of each other. Mitch the Alpha Male, April the tsundere Mom. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
As with Well Met, there were a lot of things I liked about Well Played, but the pacing and some plot choices didn't work for me. Mainly the deceptions and Stacey's near-immediate forgiveness of Daniel. I wanted her to stick up for herself more and for Daniel to fight for her. It was frustrating and I didn't entirely believe their HEA would be lasting. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |

DeLuca, Jenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressley, BrittanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Morgan

Who showed me that you don’t need to be in the same

room—or even the same state—with someone to fall

in love with them. I’m so glad you made that first phone call.
It all started with a necklace.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,934,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible