The Name of the Wind (2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (1)

16,181683243 (4.37)3 / 733
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (659)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (681)
This wasn't a book. It was the introduction to the book. It was a hint at character development in a really tiny way with a bit of unrelated plot drizzled on top. I don't know if it's the author to blame or the publisher for slicing it this way. However you look at it, that's the main reason this got such low marks.

Still, I should say something about the writing itself. Mr. Rothfuss has a pretty good handle on his world and writes most of his characters with a careful and accurate brush. There's little danger in getting folks mixed up because of their dialogue or actions. It's less the mechanics of his writing that bothers me than the organization of it.

This book is written in the third person, but most chapters are first person retrospectives of the main character's life. It's a story being told, and as such the author gets some leeway in commenting on things with the benefit of that character's hindsight. It's a neat structure and I didn't mind it at all. It became distracting later on, though, when these interludes (not the whole-chapter breaks, just the short commentary ones) would creep in and kill the pacing of the story. It seemed to happen most when the main character would remember a specific woman, when once again (for the 300th time) words were not sufficient to describe something and he has to have a quick flashback within a flashback to make a poetic metaphor.

Most disconcerting to me was that by 60%, I no longer cared for the main characters. They annoyed me. My sympathy was lost and try as I might to find it again by the end, it just wasn't there.

I have the second book laying around here, but I have a strong suspicion that it won't see the top of my to-read list. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
This wa san AWESOME read, probably one of my favorites ever!!! ( )
  scttbull | Sep 3, 2021 |
This was recommended to me by a friend who was reading it for her book club. I'd like to have known that it was a) part of a series b) part of an UNFINISHED series c) super long and kinda boring.
I think I might have liked it better if I'd read it as a younger person, someone with more time left to read long-ass books and also to wait for the series to be finished and possibly have to re-read the long-ass book before being able to finish the series.
So many cliffhangers, and also the "ending" leaves one wanting more. Female love-interest is her own person and mostly interested in her own survival and comfort, not starring as the "female love-interest" in someone else's fantasy tale. This is written in such a way that most readers would describe her as fickle and irritating.
I don't know, I just wasn't impressed. ( )
  EmScape | Aug 25, 2021 |
Near the end our adventurer, Harry Potter, met up with Bilbo and fought a great dragon! Then he said something about the wind to spite the vicious Draco. The end!

Oh, I guess it is ok if you can't read the Hobbit or real Potter books. If you want to read a book like this check out "The Last Apprentice". That is an excellent book! ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
I don't like how he ended chapters with things like "little did I know that was the worst mistake of my life" and then I didn't get a direct correlation to the statement.

It's a huge book. A lot was covered but it definitely isn't a single book with a full plot. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 20, 2021 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,276,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible