The Name of the Wind (2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (1)

15,720673246 (4.37)3 / 727
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (642)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (664)
I just finished this book and I don't think I have adequate words to describe the impact. I adored this book, devoured this book and cried with this book. Simply one of the best I've read in a very very long time. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This book has me wrapped around its little finger and KNOWS it ( )
  Abiquail | Apr 24, 2021 |
I have to say, it took me a while to get into the story, but I'm really glad I did not put the book aside. The concept of the book is very interesting, the fact, that Kvothe is telling the story himself brings something new and original. I would appreciate a little bit more world building in the political aspects, introducing the current situation of the world more. And the fact, that Kvothe keeps mentioning, that he was expelled from the university, made me wondering "is this it?", "or now?" But otherwise a really good writing, great story that keeps moving forward in good pace. ( )
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
Wow oh wow oh wow. That was amazing. The reviews on the back don't lie, it's almost as good as Lord of the Rings (maybe even as good), just not as dear to me.

At first I was worried this would be boring because it was day 1, but little did I know the telling of the story happened over one day (though it took me much longer to read it, and usually you tell things slower than you read them), not the whole story. I just need so much more from this I hope to read the next one very soon. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,742,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible