The Name of the Wind (2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (1)

17,700725236 (4.36)3 / 751
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (694)  Spanish (15)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (719)
I enjoyed the writing and the story is good ( )
  KarlaR | Oct 6, 2022 |
Meh. A friend of mine calls the fantasy genre 'adolescent wish fulfillment of the author' and the main character Kvothe, as a stand-in for author, seems to be so perfect that he is exactly that: an uber-geek's alter ego. He's too, too perfect in every respect.

This book was kind of a Harry Potter novel set in the past instead of here and now. 711 frikkin pages - I invested a lot of time in this book and was disappointed. ( )
  jsmick | Oct 5, 2022 |
16 October 2017
It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die. [pp. 2]
I don't know what to say; this book blew my mind.
It's not that the plot is especially genius, or even that the protagonist is particularly endearing (15 year old 'well, actually' Kvothe can choke). It's just really, really good storytelling.
  best_bunyip | Sep 30, 2022 |
I had to read this book twice because I didn't take the time to enjoy it thoroughly first time around. That was my fault as I rushed it. This is a book that you need to take your time over, drink in every sumptuous paragraph and enjoy the author's slow unwinding of the tale. It really is beautifully written and I never appreciated that until I decided to give it a second go because of the extraordinarily good reviews on this site. Big learning curve for me and a big thumb's up for Mr Rothfus. :-) ( )
  MJWebb | Sep 22, 2022 |
Patrick Rothfuss' acclaimed novel The Name of the Wind has perhaps one of the highest average ratings of all the books on Goodreads (4.55), with almost 250,000 5-star ratings. Nothing could go wrong with such a novel ... or can it? I'm very difficult to convince with fantasy novels; few authors within this genre (namely [a:J.K. Rowling|1077326|J.K. Rowling|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1415945171p2/1077326.jpg], [a:George R.R. Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg] and [a:Mari Ronberg|3482534|Mari Ronberg|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png]) have so far managed to hook me right from the first chapter without losing their quality throughout the course of their novel(s). In this book, Patrick Rothfuss focuses on the fate of his protagonist Kvothe in a clever, thoughtfully structured coming-of-age story about his difficult youth, his teens and early adolescence, after which the second part of the trilogy will pick up to recount later parts of his life. As it turned out, the first installment in the Kingkiller trilogy was way more difficult to get through than I originally thought after reading about positive comparisons between TNotW and the Harry Potter books.

Which leads me directly to main parts of my criticism: the similarities to Harry Potter. I tried hard, really hard not to constantly compare those two books with each other, but too much reminded me of Hogwarts in this book, and those similarities were not always in favor of TNotW. First of all, the world-building in this novel is intriguing, though not extraordinary. The author didn't include any reasons for caring about the world, so that ultimately I wouldn't have been in tears if an earthquake had shattered this world completely.

Secondly, the character development of the protagonist, who is also the first-person narrator of the tale which is incorporated in the framework plot, is what main parts of this book are about, yet so many other characters included in this book lack originality and varying aspects which could help to find reasons to care about them at all. If I am honest, I was disappointed by the cast of characters. We have Kvothe - the most well-developed character of the book - and Denna, a mysterious and unique female protagonist who is superbly introduced and implemented into the story ... and apart from them, I can't even recall most of the other characters' names.
And this is exactly the point when I can't help but compare this book to Rowling's Harry Potter world.

The similarities are rather obvious (and I won't even mention how Kvothe might be called a second Harry): What is called Hogwarts in HP, can be found as the University here. Everybody knows Draco Malfoy - but few know he has a twin brother with different looks, but very similar manners called Ambrose in this book. Of course, we have other characters: Simmon and Wilem, who were introduced as Kvothe's friends and might have had the potential to turn into interesting characters and good friends for Kvothe. The latter they did, yet they remained stereotypical and like blank pieces of paper. Patrick Rothfuss also introduces a bunch of female characters, all of them unmemorable and boring (with the exception of Auri who might have more potential in the upcoming novels). And last but not least, there are the teachers of the University. In Hogwarts, we have Snape, Lupin, Hagrid, McGonagall, Trelawney, Filch ... all of them memorable figures every HP reader should have no trouble with connecting to their specific characteristics. And in The Name of the Wind ... it was simply impossible to feel interested in any of the teachers. Maybe someone else felt different about this aspect, but I wasn't able to pretend interest in even one of them.

However, if you feel in the mood for it, you might just as well find hundreds of similarities between J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I don't accuse Patrick Rothfuss of copying certain plotlines, because all those aspects are rather common in fantasy novels and I don't think for even one minute that Rothfuss looked at the Harry Potter novels and thought, "this looks nice, I might use it for my own book". No, my reason for listing these lies mainly in my personal feeling that The Name of the Wind was not very original and did not live up to its hype. Feel free to disagree with me.

Patrick Rothfuss has a lot of adventure, romance and violence to offer in his book. We get to care about Kvothe early one because what happens to him helps us relate to his character, but there was nothing specifically outstanding about the character himself. What convinced me of awarding at least three stars was the well-developed plot, the atmosphere of the University itself and the romance part which felt natural to the story and as a requirement for the characters to develop into what they later became.

(Initially after reading the novel, I was still ready to give it 3.5 stars, but more than a month after finishing it, the impression it left on me is so vanishingly low that I can't award more than three stars for the positive aspects I outlined in my review.)

I do realize that my review is not written very objectively, but since I wasn't able to find literary significance in this work, I ultimately decided to center my review around my subjective thoughts. Most of you will think differently about the book - after all, just look at the average rating -, so just keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and all of you can feel free to love the book as much as most of you do.

(Buddy Read with Dustin!) ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,307,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible