The Name of the Wind (2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (1)

20,182783217 (4.36)4 / 769
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The First Binding by R.R Virdi (Dariah)
    Dariah: both about maturing mages, kind of anti-heroes, complex world-building, tavern/stories/music and poems as part of the plot
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)

English (746)  Spanish (19)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (775)
THE best Fantasy novel of 2009, IMHO ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |
An interesting and engaging fantasy, if a bit dated.

This type of protagonist (really amazing at just about everything, loved by all, etc.) hasn't aged quite that great, and that may have contributed to the author never finishing this series. Who knows. Regardless, this is a good fantasy read. The world is well established, the characters are interesting, and I would genuinely like to see where it's going.

Unfortunately, past a few side stories, the author hasn't continued after the next in the series. So be forewarned. ( )
  MrKusabi | Feb 23, 2024 |
Lot of hype around this one. I basically got tired of waiting for something to happen and gave up at the opening of chapter 4. I may be missing out, but I'm moving on to something a little faster paced. Don't know if I'll return, but if I do it'll be for one reason - to figure out what's up with Bast. I found a guy in a fantasy novel who has the same name as the ancient Egyptian cat goddess to be rather distracting. If the dude turns out to be a cat-or-something-like I might be forced to challenged the author's world building chops. If he's not a cat-or-something-like, I might be forced question his character building chops.... ( )
  djambruso | Feb 23, 2024 |
Story: 8 / 10
Characters: 10
Setting: 8
Prose: 9

WARNING: This book has no ending. Would have really appreciated knowing that before starting. ( )
  MXMLLN | Jan 12, 2024 |
A Journey into Legends: My Third Encounter with a Beloved Book

When you love reading and find someone special with whom to share that passion, the experience of delving into a book becomes not only easier but also immensely enjoyable. This was the case for us as we embarked on our reading adventure, completing this captivating book in just over two months. The time spent was undeniably worth it, leaving me with a profound appreciation for the story. As a reader, I must confess that this book ranks among the best I've ever encountered, even though I'm not typically drawn to the fantasy genre. Nevertheless, my love for it has inspired me to explore more fantasy books in search of similar wonders.

However, it's essential to clarify what this book is not. It does not follow the typical fast-paced narrative of epic heroism that often characterizes fantasy novels. Instead, it takes a deliberate and measured approach, focusing on the development of an extraordinarily intelligent yet ordinary boy. The story charts his journey from humble beginnings to becoming a legendary figure, delving into the challenges he faces in earning and living up to that reputation.

While some may argue that the book lacks absolute originality in terms of its world and characters, it does introduce an inventive twist. The story revolves around the coming-of-age of a young boy, his impressive intellect, and the existence of a logical type of magic. This combination paves the way for a unique narrative that sets it apart from other fantasy novels.

Having explored numerous fantasy novels throughout the year, this book remains a standout five-star read for both of us. Its imaginative storytelling has left an indelible mark on our hearts and minds, making it thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. ( )
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who taught me to love books. Who opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.

And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right the first time.
It was night again.

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,941,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible