The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Patrick Rothfuss (Author)

16,627698243 (4.37)3 / 742
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
Member:summerloud
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss (Author)
Info:DAW Books (2008), 722 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (captain_killy)
    captain_killy: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (671)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (694)
Masterful. Added to the collection of my favorite works of fiction ever, and what a well-deserved spot indeed. I haven't read many fantasy books in my lifetime, but this is what I wanted my fantasy books to be like.

Rothfuss's storytelling is like no other that I've encountered in recent memory. Simply put, he's a natural and makes storytelling seem effortless. It's not only the storytelling that makes this book so good, but the poetic prose, the realistic dialogue, the good characters, the world-building, the stories-within-stories structure, and so many more.

From the outset, you are eased into a fictional world as the main character Kvothe starts telling his heroic(?) story. This world has great lore, and the way the story immerses you in it is just fantastic. You learn about things as you progress through the tale, and you are like a child slowly coming to grips with the reality of your new fictional world. The world itself is nothing short of believable and is very much alive; the hallmark of a great world-builder.

The beautifully-flowing poetic prose effortlessly carries the story, and The Name of the Wind is full of quotables and thought-provoking words of wisdom. The dialogue is as realistic as it gets, and overall, you get the feeling that this is a real story, and one you would not like to wrap-up so soon (thank God this is part of a trilogy). You can easily tell how much time Rothfuss devoted to perfecting every bit and piece of this book's writing.

All in all, a wonderful cohesive, and intricate fantasy tale that I would recommend to fantasy lovers as well as all admirers of quality fiction. A well-deserved 5/5, and I look forward to reading the sequel some time soon. ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
Enjoyable. I was a little taken aback by the semi juvenile first couple chapters, but it matured and the story was always engaging. ( )
  Venarain | Jan 10, 2022 |
A very good epic fantasy! Has all the elements you want/expect from the genre (signs of approaching doom, hidden pasts, characters of dubious moral nature), but it keeps things fresh also. I like the form it takes - of a story being told to a Chronicler while still keeeping up with the DOOM IS COMING NOW theme. Also, I don't have to try hard to find secondary ships: Bast his Reshi 4 EVA. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
If you read the reviews, you will find those who rave about this “epic” fantasy and those who found it insipid man-centered ego-boosting juvenile dribble.

I liked the writing and the dialogue ...so much so that I didn’t DNF. And although I would have liked more strong female characters, their dearth didn’t stop me from enjoying it for the most part.

But there was something missing for me...it went on for far too long, Kvothe often got on my nerves, and the plot just didn’t advance fast enough for me! Which means I won’t be advancing to the next book in the series. ( )
  Eosch1 | Jan 2, 2022 |
Cliched pompous male fantasy lead, weak female characters, looooong, rambling in places... But entertaining, it kept me coming back. Isn't that what counts, being entertained? if I'm not reading to expand my understanding I want to be entertained, and that's what this book did for me. No profound commentary on the state of mankind, no insight into the depths of humanity. Just interesting and while the lead character annoyed me, it's HIM telling the story. Of course he's the "bestest" at everything he attempts. Had to take a star away because I wish it came to a more satisfying end after so many pages, as I don't plan to read the other 2 books in the series. ( )
  reneeg | Dec 25, 2021 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,960,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible