The Perfect Mother by Caroline Mitchell

The Perfect Mother (edition 2020)

by Caroline Mitchell (Author)

422,531,029 (3.5)None
Member:CathyGeha
Title:The Perfect Mother
Authors:Caroline Mitchell (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2020)

No tags.

Review of eBook

When Rosalind Foley finds herself pregnant, she knows she needs to find a good adoptive family for her child. After all, the pregnancy is the result of a one-night stand, Roz has no money, and she’s just lost her job. She discusses her predicament with her best friend, Dympna, but does not identify the father.

When a “diamond couple” on the elite Miracle Moms website expresses an interest in adopting her child, Roz travels from her home in Dublin, Ireland to New York City [first class, courtesy of the hopeful adoptive parents] where she meets the couple. The Hollywood superstar couple, Roz realizes, are in a position to give her baby everything she herself cannot provide. But the young woman has no idea that, when she accepts the offer to live with Sheridan and Daniel until the baby is born, she’s stepping into a waking nightmare . . . .

Short chapters keep the pages turning in this entertaining, quick read that offers readers a strong sense of place and a promising opening premise. However, readers are likely to find Sheridan’s behavior too over-the-top, her outrageous antics causing her to more closely resemble a caricature than a real character. Daniel is more mysterious and, as the story unfolds, it becomes clear that there are many, many secrets in this household. Dympna seems to have a better grasp of reality and urges caution while the supremely naïve Roz is a bit impetuous. But Dympna is the kind of friend that everyone wishes to have in his or her life.

Tension builds as the well-written story unfolds although there are times that the narrative seems to drag, reiterating the same behaviors and circumstances, causing the intriguing opening chapters to lose some of their sparkle. There are unexpected plot twists that readers are not likely to see coming, but the big soap opera-ish twist at the end comes out of nowhere and is likely to leave them shaking their heads in disbelief.

I received a free copy of this eBook from Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley
#ThePerfectMother #NetGalley ( )
  jfe16 | Jan 18, 2020 |
The Perfect Mother by Caroline Mitchell

Roz realizes she is pregnant after a one night stand. Knowing her mother had not been the best role model, not having much income and still needing to finish school she leans toward adoption as a way to provide her child with the perfect mother. So, she looks and finds a site that promises wealthy intelligent well off people she can meet that might be interested. After making her choice she leaves her best friend Dympna behind and heads off to New York to meet the prospective parents. Sure, some warning bells go off in her mind (big ones went off in MY mind) and she should have listened to her gut...but she didn’t. And, if she had listened and run this story would have never gotten off the ground.

With each chapter more is revealed about the powerful couple in show business and the more that I learned the more worried I became. I had a good idea what would happen and wasn’t surprised by the plotting and pace but was surprised by one twist that had me scratching my head as I had not tweaked to the fact that one person’s fantasies were as dark or darker than an other’s.

What I liked:
* Roz never gave up even when a bit of Stockholm syndrome seemed to set in she was hopeful she and her baby would get out alive...well...most of the time she was.
* The twist I did not see coming
* Dympna: Roz’s best friend who never gave up on finding her
* The creep-factor and chill the story provided – I wrote down that one person was psychotic and later thought more than one actually was.
* The way it played with my (and Roz’s) mind
* The resolution at the end

What I did not like:
* The power couple – Sheridan and Daniel
* The fact that not all of the bad guys were punished
* Seeing just how warped and cruel and sick some people can be

Thank you to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing, UK and Book on the Bright Side Publicity for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Jan 14, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible