The Kite Runner by Berliani M. Nugrahani

The Kite Runner (edition 2004)

by Berliani M. Nugrahani

Member:Mary_Beth_Robb
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Berliani M. Nugrahani
Info:Riverhead Books, Paperback, 371 pages
Rating:*

The Kite Runner by Berliani M. Nugrahani

I ended up liking this a lot more than I expected. The descriptions of Afghanistan were vivid, and showed the shift from a lush, safe environment to a war zone under the Taliban. However, this was really a story about a boy's fall from grace, his denial and grief, and eventual redemption (or at least personal peace); the current climate in Afghanistan does come into play, but most of the story takes place during the 70s, right before Russia invades. It's an interesting perspective of which I knew little. The writing is excellent, great characterization - my only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 was a bit of dragging at certain points (I would give it a 4.5). But this story was effective and I felt like I was punched in the gut multiple times. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
I loved this book but unfortunately the ending bored me. It lost it's magic. Otherwise I'd have this as a five star book and one of my favorites. This was Khaled Hosseini's first book. I'm looking forward to reading his other books. ( )
  micahammon | Dec 19, 2020 |
Too violent... ( )
  bederson | Dec 17, 2020 |
I DID NOT like this book! It was too depressing for me. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
"For you, a thousand times over..."
A mind-blowing story of friendship, mistakes and redemption. The author, Khaled Hosseini, gracefully presents a friendship between Amir and Hassan in the Kabul city of Afghanistan prior to the Taliban regime. He exquisitely portrays Hassan's innocence, loyalty and love for his friend, Amir jaan and how a childhood act of cowardice can leave such a deep impression on Amir's adult life. And how Amir finds his redemption in rescuing his friend's son, Sohrab, years later. The story ends leaving us devastated when Amir becomes for Sohrab what Hassan had always been to Amir- a True Friend.... ( )
  Fatima_Anwar | Nov 30, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,228,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible