Bitter Pill

by Jordan Castillo Price

Series: PsyCop (11)

Fantasy. Fiction. Romance. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

There's a new drug on the streets called Kick. The side effects are so brutal, most folks only try it once...unless they're psychic. Then they do it until it kills them.

Psychic medium Victor Bayne is well acquainted with pharmaceuticals, from the Auracel that blocks his ghosts to the Seconal that offers him a blissful nights' sleep. But he's managed to steer clear of street drugs...so far.

Jacob Marks has a medicine cabinet filled with every over-the-counter remedy known to man, but none of them are doing much for his moodâ??and his long, fruitless days of combing through records at The Clinic are taking a heavy toll.

But their lackluster investigation does have one silver lining: a front row seat at The Clinic when the first Kick overdose comes in. And as scary as the drug might be, if it truly does augment psychic ability, the appeal is not lost on Vic.

Because the very first hit never killed anyone.

Where did Kick come from? Why is it so addictive? And why is everyone at The Clinic acting so darn shady? That's what Vic intends to find out. And if he's lucky, he can also expose a shadowy figure from Camp Hell.

Unfortunately, the demons of his pill addiction might prove just as deadly as his long-buried history. He thought he'd managed to ditch that pernicious habit. But what if it was only lurking in the shadows, waiting for the best time to rear its ugly head?

PsyCop is an ongoing series filled with supernatural action and delightfully awkward humorâ??with a steady undercurrent of gay romance. It's best read in order, so if you're new to the series, start with PsyCop #1, Among the Living...and prepare for a hauntingly good read… (more)

I can't believe this series remains so good, eleven books in and counting. I envy people just discovering it. This one... Man. Talk about circling back to the beginning for that one part. *shivers* And Jacob! *settles in to await #12* ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
Re-read March 2024
I cried when I got to Jackie’s story. :/

Re-read May 2022
Finished in one day! Only read it once before so I didn't remember it as much - it was almost like reading it for the first time again. The ending made me want to read the sequel right away, and this time I can :) The audio by Gomez Pugh was excellent as always.

Original read ebook edition August 2020 ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Read in August 2020
Okay, that was awesome. We find out about lots of interesting stuff in this one, like Jackie's backstory and more about the habit demons. And oh boy the cliffhanger at the end? That was just mean!

=================

Pre-release:
Time for another series re-read? Yes it is!
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
Vic and Jacob investigate a new psyactive that is randomly killing psychs and possibly connected to the Clinic, a clinic/pharmacy Vic is all too familiar with.

Another enjoyable entry into the Psycop series. This one touches on addiction and how hard it is to deal with its demons (literally). With Vic and Jacob's relationship well established the storylines are now somewhat less shippy in feel although we still get glimpses of the strong attachment between Vic and Jacob. Very much more story driven which is still enjoyable, albeit in a much different way than the first few books. I'm still very much looking forward to the next installment. A very highly recommended series overall! ( )
1 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Feb 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

PsyCop (11)
To Piper Vaughn and Avon Gale for inspiring me to tell Jackie's story
And Lady Tif for helping Vic look his handsome best
Funny, how heavily I used to rely on Auracel to put a damper on my abilities.

Fantasy. Fiction. Romance. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

Because the very first hit never killed anyone.

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,894,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible