HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Saturday at the New Year by Barbara E.…

Saturday at the New Year (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Barbara E. Barber (Author)

This book was an easy read, and I would recommend it to teachers of young students. Because the main character is a young girl, the language used throughout was spoken in first person, and I felt that it would be appealing to young readers because it’s a familiar language (age 7). An example of this is when she’s talking about he hair dryers, and describes them by saying, “the pink hair dryers look so shiny you almost have to squint.” The basis of the story is a “day in the life” of the little girl when she spends her Saturdays at her mother’s hair salon. The story introduces characters and their specific Saturday habits, like Mrs. Johnson who always falls asleep under the dryer, and says “It’s the only time I can take a nap without being disturbed.” Another thing that I liked about this book was how descriptive the author was, like when she talked about the scent of the parlor: “the new you smells so good on Saturday mornings- like sweet peach shampoo and strawberry conditioner and fresh coffee.” I felt as if I was standing in the salon and could spell those things for myself.
An important aspect of this book is it’s slight sense of multicilrualism. All of the characters in the book are African American, and so some of the words in the book like afro-comb, beads, and braids give the reader an idea of some different styles used on different kinds of hair. I also though it was sweet how in the beginning of the story, the little girl says “mom says all hair is beautiful hair.” The main idea of this story was that it’s nice to be a good helper, as the little girl helps her mother in her salon once a week. ( )
  tmalon4 | Mar 30, 2015 |
Summary:
Shauna, a young African American girl, helps open and set up "The New You" Salon. Owned by Shauna's mother, Shauna hopes to be able to help her momma more extensively in the salon, rather than small jobs such as "[arranging] the packets of sugar" for the coffee early in the morning. Shauna loves watching her mother do the customers' hair, as well as the excitement of the customers after they see "The New You" in the mirror.

The central message of this book is the importance of diversity and working together as a family. The illustrations in this book were very detailed, which greatly assisted the long paragraphs of texts in the book. I would have liked if the paragraphs were split up more to make it easier to follow along. For instance, I like how Shauna had her own smock that her mother made her, and you could easily see the flower pattern on her smock, and the label of her name 'Shauna.' I like the use of the pastel colors, as well as the precise details of the hair curlers, scissors, and combs used. While I understand that Shauna wants to do more to help her mother, I do not like how the author makes her come off kind of bratty. For example, Shauna admires when she watches her mother do the customers hair, although Shauna says, "...but all I do is put the rollers in the tray." I believe the author's wording could be altered at certain parts in the book to make Shauna seem more admirable than jealous. ( )
  mkaray1 | Sep 12, 2014 |
In this story a young African American girl whos name is Shauna, and how she hopes that she will be able to help her mother and her beauty salon. This story is captivating and the illustrations are very good. It is a good story to read to students about family.
  vrook | Mar 12, 2009 |
Great for grades k-3. Fiction. Diversity in the classroom. Shauna, a young African American girl, loves helping Momma with the customers at her beauty salon. Drawn with pastals.
  sdglenn | Feb 13, 2009 |

Barbara E. Barberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rich, AnnaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother, Rosalie Smith, a little woman with a lot of endurance; and the memory of my father, Johnny Smith. - BEB
Thanks to Karina O. and Saskia K. for their invaluable assistance, and to Liz Szabla for her exemplary stamina. - AR
Saturday is my favorite day of the week.

Lee & Low Books

2 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 1880000431, 1880000067

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,969,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible