dismiss

Solitude: A Philosophical Encounter by…

Solitude: A Philosophical Encounter (edition 2015)

by Philip Koch (Author)

In Koch's Solitude, both solitude and engagement emerge as primary modes of human experience, equally essential for human completion. This work draws upon the vast corpus of literary reflections on solitude, especially Lao Tze, Sappho, Plotinus, Augustine, Petrarch, Montaigne, Goethe, Shelley, Emerson, Thoreau, Whitman and Proust.… (more)
Member:bbjanz
Title:Solitude: A Philosophical Encounter
Authors:Philip Koch (Author)
Info:Open Court (2015), 392 pages

Solitude: A Philosophical Encounter by Philip Koch

This is an encounter with both the nature of solitude and the thinkers who have written about solitude. Some of these thinkers are writers who I already knew and admired and some, at least on this topic, were new to me. Comprising two sections, one on the "nature of solitude" and another evaluating its existence it seems to encompass the subject well without exceeding the patience of the solitary reader.
The author presents arguments for and against solitude as a theoretical and practical matter. The culture and philosophy of solitude is considered. But most to my liking were the moments when specific writers' thoughts were presented. They ask questions like Byron's "Then stirs the feeling infinite, so felt
In solitude, where we are least alone;".
Are we alone or not when we cling to solitude? Is solitude like Robert Byrd's "long night as black as that on the dark side of the moon" or is it brightly illumined by our own "power of joy, we see into the life of things" as Wordsworth poetically proclaims. The wealth of questions and information about solitude is presented and assessed, but each individual reader will have to decide for himself what answers are best suited to his life. However for me, I prefer the freedom expressed by Henry David Thoreau: ( )
1 vote jwhenderson | Dec 7, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,190,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible