The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found by Karina…

The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found (edition 2021)

by Karina Yan Glaser (Author)

Series: Vanderbeekers (4)

Member:Gryzenia
Title:The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found
Authors:Karina Yan Glaser (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2021), 368 pages

Work Information

The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found by Karina Yan Glaser

The Vanderbeeker family's fourth adventure: as Mr. Biedermann, formerly a shut-in, prepares for his first New York Marathon, with the help of the school track team, the children find evidence that someone (a "mysterious person" or MP) is living in their shed. When they find out the identity of the MP, they all throw in to help in a variety of ways, but it is not clear that the MP wants their help. The usual adorable kids, an expanded menagerie and a bit more involvement by the adults because of the homeless issue. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Excellent, like the whole series, but with a tinge of sadness. Cant wait for #5! ( )
  MichelleRohrbach | Jan 31, 2021 |
Another fantastic installment of the Vanderbeekers series! The Vanderbeekers #4, The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found by Karina Yan Glaser, dealt with some tough issues (illness and homelessness) in such a kind and heartfelt way with everyone rallying around to support one another. The family of 7 (and their neighbors) you can't help but love also had their share of Fall adventures to contend with (Halloween, the NYC marathon, shyness, another homecoming dance).
I can't wait to see the Vanderbeekers continue to grow up along with the next book in the series. ( )
  deslivres5 | Dec 24, 2020 |
The Vanderbeeker family returns in this fourth adventure, facing some of the toughest challenges they have ever experienced with love, understanding and creativity. As the Vanderbeeker's neighbor, friend and landlord, Mr. Biedermann, prepares for his first New York Marathon, the children discover that the homeless MP ("mysterious person") using the shed at their community garden is someone they all know and love. While trying to find a solution to this problem, the children, their parents, and their wider circle of friends must also confront a devastating loss, in the form of the death of beloved Mr. Jeet. Other, more everyday experiences are also explored, from schoolgirl misunderstandings to Halloween races, but the narrative focuses primarily on these two main story-lines, touching upon issues of homelessness, mental illness, and loss. In the end, the loving bonds of community that the Vanderbeekers have built around them lead both to healing, and to a solution to a very thorny problem...

I found The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found every bit as heartwarming and emotionally satisfying as its predecessors, and raced through it in a single reading session. Although it touched upon some very serious issues, and was often quite poignant - I found myself tearing up on more than one occasion, while reading - it still managed to maintain the sense of humor and feeling of joy to be found in previous installments of the series. There are times, reading Karina Yan Glaser's books, that I feel as if I am seeing the world as it ought to be, rather than as it truly is. Perhaps this feeling is partly owing to the fact that I myself do not belong to such a close-knit community as the one depicted here, and wonder if it is too good to be true. Then again, perhaps I simply encounter the goodhearted wholesomeness exemplified by the Vanderbeekers and their circle more frequently in vintage children's fare, and am therefore surprised to find it in a current novel. Whatever the case may be, there is no doubt that Glaser manages to be contemporary and current, in the best possible way, with a diverse and appealing cast of characters, but to also retain an almost old-fashioned sense of the goodness of people, and of our culture. Highly recommended, to anyone who has read the previous three books about the Vanderbeekers and their wonderful world on 141st Street. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Nov 15, 2020 |
My library e-copy does not have the lovely cover image but I did occasionally refer to it as I was reading. I at least got my edition into Overdrive vs. Axis 360 (unreadable for me) but is there really no text on blank page 85 or did I miss something?!

These books keep getting better and better. Book 4 is the best so far. I am loving this series. I’m happy to see that there will be a fifth book coming out next year. There was mention of a film agent in the notes so I’m wondering if book 1 and/or the series is going to be made into a movie post pandemic.

I love that the book is dedicated to 4 dogs, and they’re illustrated on the dedication page too. Perhaps they’re the author’s dogs or dogs that have been part of her family or those she knows/has known. :-)

I enjoyed reading this around the time events in the book play out month and day wise. The events happen from Sunday, October 20 to Sunday, November 3. I read the book from October 17 to October 21.

There is so much that I love about this book.

I particularly love this family.

I like that the kids cook, real things, and that everybody helps with chores.

The baked goods sound delicious. I just veganize them in my own mind. Ditto for the vegetarian dishes mentioned. There isn’t too much that’s non-vegetarian mentioned though this is not a vegetarian family. The two youngest members won’t eat meat that comes from pigs though and that reminded me of Suzy in Meet the Austins, one of my favorite books with one of my other favorite literary families. The mother owns a bakery so there are a lot of cookies and other baked goods, some with fruit and vegetables in them, most not aiming for health, but there are healthy foods eaten here too including fruit and vegetables and oatmeal. (I mention this because my Goodreads friend Hilary and I have fun with another series in which virtually no healthy foods ever seem to be consumed. Now I seem to usually notice what foods are eaten in fiction books because of those hilarious discussions.)

I appreciate the diversity shown in every way including how each child is respected as an individual and is acknowledged for who they are.

I love that one of the kids is shy and seems to be an introvert.

I like big families in stories, twins (including these twins shown to be very different people), NYC, dogs, cats, orphans. All of that is in this story.

I love the complicated relationships and intergenerational friendships/relationships. I love the independence of the kids.

I loved Orlando’s story (probably the most touching parts for me) and the friendship between Jessie and Orlando and his relationships with two older characters and the entire Vanderbeeker family and community.

The sense of community is wonderful. It’s like a love letter to Harlem and to NYC too.

Mental illness and homelessness are touched on very, very lightly. Death makes an appearance also.

I like that the garden that was at the center of the story in book 2 is part of the story though a very small part.

I do love the humor. This book had a lot going on and some of it was serious so the warm hearted people and the humor were particularly appreciated.

There were a very few things I did not like: I did not particularly enjoy the Isa & Benny storyline and I knew/guessed how it would play out. I think such misunderstandings happen so much more often in books that in real life! And the glitter on costumes I did not like at all, and it was funny because as soon as I read the first glitter inclusion in this book there was a conversation on someone’s review of another book, about how glitter is NOT eco-friendly. It appeared throughout and balloons did once. And oh wow confetti and in a public building too, probably paper hopefully paper, but even so it’s littering. I wish these types of items would be retired from this series after this book! Most of the rest of the book is so good. I found this sort of thing distracting.

The illustrations are wonderful. I enjoyed the pictures that start the chapters, especially of the animals, but liked all the art, including the pictorial information illustration of the family members and their neighbors and their friends and animals and the floor plan of the residential building with details of the Vanderbeeker’s two floors. I love maps and home floor plans in any books, and anywhere actually.

I do love this family, but I sort of found it difficult to read about big families and companion animals and close neighbors and a story with a real community feel, and outings around the neighborhood and city when I’ve been alone for over 7 months during the pandemic. I couldn’t help but smile and nearly laugh at the marathon scene and what follows. Some real suspense even though I knew how it would turn out!

I am eager to read book 5. I love all the series books so far. I enjoyed book 4 more than book 3 and book 3 more than book 2 and book 2 more than book 1 and I think that is unusual. This series is a winner for me. Completely charming! I recommend it! I love all the love! ( )
  Lisa2013 | Oct 21, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,510,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible