Island Affair (2020)

by Priscilla Oliveras

Series: Keys to Love (1)

Very Vivid And Vibrant. This is one of those hyper-descriptive books that wants you to know the exact color of the dresser in the room where the lead couple first "gets together". That wants you to be able to smell the exact scents around them as they first open up to each other. That wants you to be able to hear the various island sounds all around them as they go from secluded beach to downtown party. That wants you to be able to taste the Cuban inspired flavors of Key West. In other words, this is one of the most sensual - as in, the literal dictionary definition meaning "devoted to or preoccupied with the senses or appetites" - books I've ever read. Oh, and there is a solid romance in here too. Yes, one that perhaps wraps up a bit too tidily a bit too quickly, but eh, that is a common feature of many RWA-strict romance books. As the introduction to a new series, it introduces at least two characters what are obvious targets of subsequent books - without being overly obvious as to which is in the *next* book. And it seems to indicate that it will be a series with call it "medium" ties between the books - characters from each book will show up in other books, but you'll still be able to read any book in any order (provided you're not averse to hearing that a lead couple in one romance book actually wound up together - shocker, I know ;) ). So there really was a lot to like here overall, and only minor quibbles ultimately as far as anything at all to nitpick on. Very much recommended. ( )
  BookAnonJeff | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was my first book by Priscilla Oliveras and I loved it. Set in Key West, it was the perfect book for someone who has been missing the beach and vacations. I got to feel like I was on vacation without leaving my house.

Luis runs into Sara when he finds her yelling on the beach. Having just gotten not so great news at work, Luis is looking to provide help wherever he can. Sara's boyfriend has just dumped her and she doesn't want to show up to family vacation as the only single person, especially given how successful everyone else in her family is and how they already perceive her. So Luis and Sara agree to a fake relationship. Of course like any fake relationship, it turns in to a real one.

What I really liked about Luis and Sara was how not fake their entire relationship felt from the get go. I looooved Sara's parents and even was okay with the conflict she had with her sister. I liked the way it was presented and I appreciated that Oliveras actually had the characters work their shit out by talking.

Take all that and throw in some yummy food and crazy Key West, Florida and this was a winner for me.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Are you ready to read a sizzling hot romance set in the paradise of Key West?

Get ready to learn why Key West firefighter Luis Navarro has been given a mandatory week off from work and as he's about to climb into his truck why he can't resist pausing for a conversation with Sara Vance. Will Luis spend his forced time off in the role of her boyfriend to enjoy a week's vacation with Sara and her family?

Without a doubt this contemporary romance has the burning heat of sexual chemistry that is sizzling hot and not just from the Key West sun. But with each conversation Luis and Sara are both wondering if a week of flaming passion is all it is.

Priscilla Oliveras creates an intricate tale that is more than romance by creating characters with depth and unfolding the layers of their past that influence the present and sometimes hold the future captive. I didn't expect a contemporary romance to have moments like a page-turning thriller but my interest was held on so many levels not wanting to miss a detail of the beautiful setting in Key West, the drama of the differences in how siblings view relationships with each other and their perceptions based on the parenting they received dependent on birth order, their own life experiences and the relationships they now have with a significant other or in their own role as a parent, and the factor of expectations "falling in" to a family business or profession held by many in the family from both the parent's view and the child's view.

I was absorbed by the beauty of how the author incorporated the phrases as Luis's Cuban mother would naturally talk to her sons and daughter. I can't remember another author providing the bilingual conversation so naturally exactly as it would in a bilingual home seamlessly flowing between the two languages. I found the writing beautiful with a natural eloquence as I didn't need Google Translate to understand what Luis's mother said or a glossary of terms because of the presentation which endeared the author's writing to me.

I also highly applaud the author sharing the personal struggle and recovery of an individual with Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder (OSFED) by showing through one of the main characters that recovery is possible and recovery is ongoing. It doesn't cancel out professional success and/or personal happiness. Adding this dimension to Sara's character adds a depth that could have easily been skipped but elevates the story with hope and inspiration for someone that might be struggling in silence.

Over the years I have purchased many greeting cards from the company called Papyrus with a hummingbird as part of their logo of "Express Beautifully" providing a hummingbird on a gold seal for each envelope. On the back of every card is printed, "Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy, and celebration. The hummingbird’s delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning, and that laughter is life's sweetest creation." It seems quite appropriate that there are two (2) hummingbirds on the cover of "Island Affair as between the covers of this story a man and a woman will explore the legend of hummingbirds as created within the love story of Priscilla Oliveras. I'm so glad I didn't miss it. I hope you will enjoy reading it too. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Mar 11, 2021 |
This Rom Com did not disappoint! It had the humor, the romance, and the unlikely circumstances. From the beginning I was hooked!

The story starts out with the main characters meeting, one's a tourist and one's a local of the Keys. They end up deciding to pretend they're dating to help the girl, Sara, out on her family vacation.

Not only does the plot keep things interesting, but the sights they visit make me want to go there myself! Which is saying a lot considering I've grown up in Northwest Florida around beaches.

One of my favorite things, though, was that the author had bilingual characters. Whenever they would speak a phrase in Spanish, she would translate it through either their responses or thought process. It was the most tasteful way, at least in my opinion, to be able to use such a beautiful language without leaving some people in the dark as to what was being said.

The one thing I didn't like was that there was a scene in the book that I had to skip over. ( I don't read scenes because of personal convictions). I never like having to skip any part of a book. That's the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

Overall definitely an awesome book! The story was really well done and I definitely would recommend this author! ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |
I love a good fake dating romance and was excited for this one. I really loved the beginning when Sara and Luis meet. It did move a little slower than I prefer, but there were a few things that were thrown in to keep my interest. This was cute, but I was just waiting for that moment to put this above the rest. Overall, a cute read. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Nov 12, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,256,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible