Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Sucker Punch by Laurell K. Hamilton

Sucker Punch (original 2020; edition 2021)

by Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)

Member:DoaneNerd
Title:Sucker Punch
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)
Info:Berkley (2021), 592 pages

Work Information

Sucker Punch by Laurell K. Hamilton (2020)

More police procedural than romance related this one.
Although some of the sex talk was just plain creep-tastic. Not because of the talk itself but who was involved in the talking.
I didn't like the ending. I was hoping there was more chapters before the wrap up chapter.
Now I would like a Merry Gentry novel please.
  TwilightBlue | Aug 7, 2021 |
I haven't read a book in this series in at least five years. I was intrigued with the series and the characters so when I needed a fantasy book for a challenge I thought this would be a good time to catch up with Anita and the strange people/things that she hangs out with. You can imagine how surprised I was to discover that either Anita Blake had changed...or I had changed. A good change was that this one actually had an honest to goodness plot and a pretty solid murder mystery. For that it will get a reluctant 3 stars from me. However that isn't what I had read the series for in the past. In the past Anita was a wild card and her numerous boyfriends were scary and unpredictable. Something was always happening...going to happen...shouldn't be happening...who knows how it will happen... but now Anita is almost boring. The book served it's purpose but I think I will let Anita retire now. Rest in peace, Anita. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Jul 22, 2021 |
”. As a U.S. Marshal in the Preternatural Branch, she is contacted by a fellow Marshal asking for help with an investigation. The murder site takes her to rural Michigan, where she meets the wereleopard who is being held for his uncle's death.
Anita quickly realizes that this is not a typical murder. The moon was not out to make the wereleopard change. He is also a weak Lycanthrope that is young. As she calls in reinforcements, the clock is ticking. An Execution Order has been put on the wereleopard and he must be killed within 72 hours. Anita begins by talking to the wereleopard, Bobby. Out of his mind with grief, Bobby starts to shift in his cell. Anita must reveal her true strength when she knocks Bobby out cold. Sometimes to hunt monsters, you must become a monster. Anita often thinks this mantra in order to keep her sanity and accept her strength. Having been attacked by Lycanthropes in the past and having a relationship with a master vampire has given her extra abilities that she must accept.
Anita’s stress level rises as a new monster arrives at the scene, Otto. A fellow Marshal who specializes in binding, torturing, and killing women. Now Anita’s focus must shift between two threats, Otto and the local cops who want the wereleopard killed so they can be done with the whole thing. Her bodyguards and other support Lycanthropes sent by her vampire fiancé arrive, much to the sheriff’s dismay. Their goal is to make sure Anita has enough food to eat and feed the Ardeur that she has developed by being with a vampire. Anita finds herself longing to feed off the anger of Otto when she does not allow him to touch her. Instead, she goes to a club to eat and accidentally bewitches the waitress.
After Anita eats and clears her head, she and the other Marshals finally determine the true killer. Will they be able to prove it before the execution order deadline? The final chapter of the book leaves you wanting more.
This book is full of twists and turns and Laurell K. Hamilton addresses the importance of taking care of your mental health and respecting the diversity of others through her characters. This book can be read as part of the series or as a stand-alone book. ( )
  chutchi | Jun 30, 2021 |
I don't care what others think, I still really like this series. I also liked this book because it brought out the mystery side of the series without the relationship drama. I always like it when "The Four Horsemen" get together. Even though it was mostly Anita and Otto (Olaf).

I always love it when the "bodyguards" show up on various hunts that Anita goes to. Nicky and some others made it out to the "crime".

Unlike most other books with the mystery going on, there is no hunting in this book. The supposed killer is already caught and behind bars. The mystery was the fact that Nueman (a character from an older book who was just fresh out of preternatural academy) doesn't think that Bobby (the werejaguar in question) actually committed the crime of murdering his adoptive father. So, he calls in Anita to help him figure out if the warrant that has the execution order should be followed or if there is something else to be done. The questions are first - did Bobby do the deed? If no, then who did the deed?

This was the book. Meanwhile we have Olaf who was already in the area making an appearance when he discovered that Anita was there, and doing his level best to be on his best behavior so that he might actually get that chance to date and bed Anita. Meanwhile Edward is taking his time (so it seems) to get to the scene.

Anita and Edward have both come to the conclusion that the time to put up or shut up regarding dating and bedding Olaf is nearing. Since he is doing the things that Anita said he needed to be doing before she would even consider him, she is finding that it is harder to not say not to him. Oh, she WANTS to say no, Hell NO, but she can't find any more excuses to give him that he would accept. No one wants Olaf to realize that his dreams of him and Anita becoming the happy serial killing couple won't come true because that would change him into the serial killer who just wants Anita to be his best victim.

So, while the murder mystery is being unwound, we have the whole Anita and Olaf dynamic which did get a bit squicky and tedious. However, having the other characters show up made it more palatable.

Out of all the boyfriends, I think I like Nicky best behind Jean Claude and Mica. I am getting tired of Nathanial being a bit too demanding. He needs to tone that down. He isn't in this book but for a single text and even that text has Anita feeling a bit like it's a nag.

I have to add a bit of a complaint here. I noticed that most of the reviewers were stating that they had stopped reading Anita Blake books some time ago, but they are reviewing this one.

If you have stopped reading the series, then you won't be up to date with the character interactions that make the newest book good (or bad). I mean, if you remember one character from when the series started and haven't read about their growth through the series, then how can you understand where they are in this book?

If you plan on reviewing a series, please have read the current books before offering a review. It only makes sense in a long series where the characters are long term and grow and change for the better or worse. I understand how readers got a bit tired of the changes in this series where it went for straight police procedural to whatever the hell it is now, but all of the characters went through some changes over the books and those changes are now being reflected in this book. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
I have been a fan of Laurell K. Hamilton for a very long time. I live in the same area as the author so I have been lucky enough to go to quite a few bookish events and have waited hours to get my book signed more than once. Over the years, I have been distracted by other books and authors and have missed some of the books in this series but I would still consider myself to be a fan. It pains me to say that I didn't enjoy this book.

This book takes Anita out of town to help deal with shifter involved murder case. I will say that I have had mixed feelings about some of the books that take Anita away from the cast of characters that are a part of her world at home. That being said, I tend to love books that include Edward, which this one does, so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, it felt like next to nothing happened in this entire book. There is a lot of talking but that is about it. The case seemed really easy to figure out and I had hoped that there would be some kind of surprise that would change everything but that never happened.

So what did they talk about? They overexplained a lot of things through different conversations but it seemed like the bulk of the discussions focused on Olaf/Otto. Olaf is a U.S. Marshal, like Anita, but in his free time, he is a serial killer. He has his sights set on Anita and wants to have a relationship with her instead of just wanting to kill her. Anita is not quite as eager but instead of saying no and moving on, they go on and on about what he would need to do to date her. It was agonizing.

I thought that Kimberly Alexis did a great job with the narration. I do think that her narration was one of the reasons that I was able to finish this book. She did a great job with all of the character voices and I found her voice to be very pleasant to listen to.

I wouldn't recommend this book to others. I am not throwing in the towel with this series just yet but I wish that I had skipped this book. I found this book to be rather slow and lacking any real excitement. I do have hope for the next installment in the series.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley and purchased a copy of the audiobook. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 14, 2020 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, TimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,303,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible