Five Total Strangers

by Natalie D. Richards

This is my first can't-put-it-down read of the year! Kept you guessing until the last possible second. The story is a classic slow-burn thriller, with little mysteries culminating to a heart-stopping reveal. ( )
  Chinesa72 | Jul 28, 2021 |
This book drew me in and kept my attention. Fast paced and suspenseful, every time I thought I knew what direction this twisty thriller was going to go it shifted gears and surprised me! Craftily plotted and with plenty of red herrings, the author keeps you guessing until the end. So get in the car and prepare yourself for a ride full of nail biting tension!

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
A teenager and five college age kids who had just been passengers on a plane but never met one another before …add then accepting a ride from a total stranger in the middle of a blizzard…and you know you have the ingredients for nothing good to happen…you’re 100% correct. This was one of those kind of stories that you know without a doubt what’s going to happen but you just can’t stop reading. Bad decision is screaming it’s head off… but none of these kids are listening. For the reader…nothing matters except what is happening on those pages. Eating becomes unimportant…sleep is on the back burner…TV? Conversation? Nope…not until that very last page has been read. Something seems off about the other four passengers. Things start to go missing and paranoia becomes the sixth passenger. If you are looking for an action packed story to take through a snowy day...or a sunny day...or a rainy day for that matter... this is it! It’s atmospheric and the suspense amps up from the first page to the surprising revelations. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 2, 2021 |
Browsing for my next digital read, I came across Five Total Strangers by Natalie D. Richards. The synopsis definitely had my interest piqued. I'm glad I decided to read this story because I enjoyed it very much.

High school senior Mira is trying to get home to her mother for Christmas. However, a severe snowstorm means that Mira's connecting flight has been cancelled until further notice. Desperate to get home to her mother, Mira decides to take a chance with the college girl who was sat beside her on the plane named Harper. Somehow, Harper manages to snag a rental car, but there are three other people besides Harper and Mira. When personal items start going missing and strange things begin happening, Mira wonders who can she actually trust that's sharing a car with her and just what is the end game.

I loved, loved, loved the plot. It sounds like it's such a simplistic storyline with just five people travelling together, but it was so much more than that. It's a mystery, horror, thriller, and suspense story all in one which are all of my favorite genres. The pacing was absolutely spot on, and I found myself closely following each word on the page to find out what would happen next. I felt like I was one of the people in the car. I started getting paranoid about who to trust in the car. There were a couple of plot twists which were interesting. I never could figure out who was the sender of the letters to Mira until it was revealed at the end, and I wasn't sure who the saboteur was either until the end. There were many times I realized I was holding my breath in anticipation while reading Five Total Strangers. I pretty much read the whole book in one sitting. The only thing that was a small disappointment was the ending. It didn't feel like it was rushed, but I felt like there could have been a bit more information. I would have loved to know what the other occupants of the car got up to after their disastrous trip. There were no cliffhangers though which I was grateful for.

I felt like the characters were fleshed out perfectly for Five Total Strangers. There isn't much backstory for Harper, Brecken, Kayla, and Josh besides little tidbits here and there, but that's what makes this book even better. It gives it more of a mysterious feel. I liked the book being in Mira's perspective. I felt like I was feeling everything right along with Mira. Even though she was only eighteen, she came across as much older. Sure, she still made some decisions with a teen brain, but for the most part, she did have a good head on her shoulders. I liked Harper, and I admired her bravado. However, I also liked the times she showed her human side and her vulnerability. I admired Josh and Brecken's desire to help out when things got really rough. I did love Kayla's dry humor peppered within the book. I would even go as far as saying she was my favorite character in Five Total Strangers.

Trigger warnings for Five Total Strangers include swearing, attempted murder, death, some violence, and some drug use.

All in all, Five Total Strangers is a fantastic read which will leave you guessing who to trust throughout the book. With a great set of characters and fantastic world building, this is not a book you want to miss. I would definitely recommend Five Total Strangers by Natalie D. Richards to those aged 15+ who are after a story that will captivate them the entire time. ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Dec 24, 2020 |
Top-notch suspense and chills once again from a master of YA thrillers. The plot kept me guessing until the end, although I *kind* of had an inkling who it might be. I really liked the buildup of suspense by including the letters from the anonymous stalker; talk about creepy! Definitely not a book to read right before you have to do any kind of winter driving, because the whole situation--five teens in a car trying to get home for the holidays during a blizzard--is very realistically depicted; whatever *can* go wrong while driving in snow, *does* go wrong! Excellent book to provoke discussions among teens, about making choices, and the nature of the grieving process, and so on. And just a fun spooky book that's hard to put down. ( )
  GoldieBug | Dec 2, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,415,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible