Evelyn Del Rey Is Moving Away by Meg Medina

Evelyn Del Rey Is Moving Away (edition 2020)

by Meg Medina (Author)

Member:Lindsey_87
Title:Evelyn Del Rey Is Moving Away
Authors:Meg Medina (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 32 pages

Evelyn Del Rey Is Moving Away by Meg Medina (Author)

Daniela, the little girl narrating this book, begins by telling readers, “Evelyn Del Rey is my mejor amiga, my número uno best friend.”

Every day they play together. Daniela explains, “We are mostly the same, just like our apartments. But not after today.” A truck has come to take away all the Del Rey’s things; they are moving. The girls reassure one another:

“‘We can talk every day after school,’ I tell her . . . ‘and you can visit me this summer,’ she says. And spend the night!’”

But Daniela knows that everything will be different from then on:

“Evelyn Del Rey is moving away.
So she won’t be right here anymore.”

Daniela’s mama tells her not to be sad, that they will both make new friends. But Daniela says to herself:

“I know she will always be my first mejor amiga, my número uno best friend . . .”

The last panel shows Daniela as an older girl, smiling over a letter, presumably from Evelyn.

Illustrations by Sonia Sánchez are vividly colored and full of movement. The lines are simple, but emotions are clearly limned.

Evaluation: What can compare to the close friendship of two little girls, or the feelings that ensue when one of them must move away? This book, intended for ages 4-7, captures both of those aspects of life with skill and compassion, and ends on a hopeful note that relationships don’t have to be lost just because someone is moving away. ( )
  nbmars | Feb 4, 2021 |
Lovely story of friendship ( )
  melodyreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
Evelyn and Daniela are "almost twins," and so are their apartments. Evelyn invites Daniela over to play, "just like today is any other day," but it isn't - "not after today." A moving truck "with its mouth wide open" waits, "ready to gobble up Evelyn's mirror with the stickers around the edge," and too soon it is time for a last photo together, a last hug, a last secret handshake. Each girl presses a sparkly sticker to the other's cheek, and both cry as they separate. "Evelyn Del Rey is moving away. So she won't be right here anymore." Parents offer comfort - brown-skinned Daniela lives with her Mami, darker-skinned Evelyn with her Mami and Papi - and the final page-turn shows an older Daniela reading one of many letters from Evelyn, proving that the two remained each other's "mejor amigas, numero uno best friends."

I have yet to read this book - silently or aloud - without tearing up.

The autumn-toned art is full of detail, from the girls' movements and expressions to the interiors of their buildings. ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 23, 2020 |

Medina, MegAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanchez, SoniaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Santos, JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,544,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible