Credence by Penelope Douglas

Credence (edition 2024)

by Penelope Douglas (Autor)

1,1602017,547 (3.74)3
"Tiernan de Haas doesn't care about anything anymore. The only child of a film producer and his starlet wife, she's grown up with wealth and privilege but not love or guidance. Shipped off to boarding schools from an early age, it was impossible to escape the loneliness and carve out a life of her own. And when they suddenly pass away, she knows she should be devastated. But has anything really changed? She's always been alone, hasn't she? Jake Van der Berg, her father's stepbrother and her only living relative, assumes guardianship of Tiernan. Sent to live with Jake and his two sons, Noah and Kaleb, in the mountains of Colorado, Tiernan quickly learns that these men now have a say in what she chooses to care and not care about anymore. As the three men take Tiernan under their wing, she slowly finds her place among them...and as a part of them. Because lines blur and rules become easy to break when no one else is watching. One of them has her. The other one wants her. But he's going to keep her."--… (more)
Member:claireylou
Title:Credence
Authors:Penelope Douglas (Autor)
Info:Penguin Publishing Group (2024), 560 pages

Work Information

Credence by Penelope Douglas

English (19)  French (1)  All languages (20)
I should let this book sink in before I give my review but the truth is, I don't ever want to pick up this book again nor even look at it again. I should have followed the trigger warnings. No judgement on anyone that likes this book or even recommends it but for me, I feel sick. I can't even bring myself to give it a rating.

The Trigger Warnings for this book are: misogynistic behavior, power imbalance, group sex, sexual violence, dubious consent, suicide, child neglect, domestic abuse, sexual harassment, and bondage. Anyone who believes such content may upset them is encouraged to consider their well-being when choosing whether to continue reading.

⚠️⚠️ Some discretion 18+⚠️major trigger warning⚠️

Tiernan is a 17 year old girl that looses her parents unfortunately to suicide, 1. it is not explained why would her parents do such a thing considering the only mentions of them throughout the book is that they are wealthy and seemed obsessed with themselves and no shits given to their only daughter. that is till their demise and she inherits all their money 🤔🤔 so uhm either they didn't give a shit about her or they did because they wanted to make sure she was well taken care of after their death? That left me confused. 2. Since she is still a minor she has to go with a guardian, and the guardian that her well being is left to is her father's step brother, someone she's never met or even grew up with. Question again for me -- Her parents are filthy rich and famous and there was no one else? No close friends that they could have trusted their daughter with, just some step brother that they were not even on speaking terms with? 🤔 again it doesn't make sense, but okay let's get passed that part for now.
Tiernan arrives in Colorado with this "family" on her very first night one of her step cousins (Kaleb) physically assaults or attempts to sexually assault her but her other step cousin, Noah stops him in time. Let me mention that although she is telling Kaleb no she has an inner monologue not sure if she really wants him to stop 🙄🧐. Ladies and gentlemen it goes down hill from there. I will not go through all the scenes that are just stomach wrenching because just recounting them is making me nauseous.

Overall, this book is definitely for mature audiences but even with that PLEASE READ THE TRIGGER WARNINGS. I cannot emphasize that enough. Speak to a friend or family member who may have read this that can give you a better understanding if the book is suitable for you especially if you have experienced any of the trauma listed in the TW.

If you take out the age gap, family and assault scene elements out the book it could be a passible spice book, but then I guess you would have a whole other type of book.

I cannot rate this book, at the same time I will give the author credit as it is well written for what it is. I will not recommend this book to anyone, if you choose to read it that is at your own full discretion. It was a lot for me to handle and I am not easily triggered by any means but this made me reevaluate that to the fullest extent.

I will also never read another Penelope Douglas book before reading the TW.
  Enid007 | Jul 5, 2024 |
What can I say about this one? It wasn't at all what I expected. This is my second Penelope Douglas book and I think this one was way deeper than the other. The book really focused on some serious family issues and trauma. I wasn't expecting any of that at all to be honest. However, I really loved the depth it gave the story. We see Tiernan slowly come into her own throughout the novel. It's a beautiful process watching her realize what she does and doesn't deserve out of life and those she cares for. I thought the relationships she had were a really interesting reflection of this. She had a first which made her feel safe and loved, something she didn't really get at home. She had a best friend who she logically knew made sense... and then she had the kindred spirit.

I really think all the relationship dynamics between Jake, Noah, Kaleb and Tiernan worked really well. It was amazing to see the various ways in which they all helped each other to grow. I really enjoyed that this one touched on real life issues and deep topics... the romance wasn't necessarily the sole focus and in fact took a while to come into play in the story. It was a story of healing for all of the characters and healing that happened in dramatically different ways. My biggest problem with this one is just felt so long. It seemed like for long stretches of book nothing was really happening. ( )
  BookReviewsbyTaylor | Apr 29, 2024 |
Man this book is a slope into madness.

The parents commit suicide because the Dad has cancer and decided it wasn't getting better and to go out on his own terms and the wife went with him because she had nothing to live for. Certainly not her child. The child had no idea about the cancer over the many years of treatment. Somehow they hid all of that treatment from her.

The father also hated his brother, Jake and yet leaves his daughter to Jake in the inheritance.

Tiernan sees her uncle and immediately thinks he's hot. He flirts with her then goes "just kidding, unless". My dude that's your niece!

He buys her a bag of candy in a candy store. Ah yes, candy from your creepy Uncle, good.

That's the first twenty-seven pages and we're off to a great start. The incest is not bothering me as much as her not being eighteen and this book focusing on her in highschool and such. It really wants us to remember she's a young teenage girl. Maybe she could have been twenty years old and this would read better.

Uncle Jake repeatedly can't decide if he wants to fuck her or throw her away. Nor his kids. Totally a healthy family. Most of them belong in prison and the ones who don't are still trying to get with their cousin/niece while she's still underage!

If she was in her twenties this would be so much more stomachable.

There's sexual assault and consent is thrown out of the window straight into hell. So Tieran trapped with these men gets violated and raped and blames herself and then emphasizes with the incest while partly encouraging it. Ew.

"They're my family. I was trapped with them, shit happened." Incest grooming shit ain't supposed to happen!

2 stars. Honestly it was so unrealistic I just laughed more than I got angry. ( )
  Yolken | Apr 1, 2024 |
spicy. taboo. cant stop thinking about ( )
  mellybrat | Feb 25, 2024 |
I'm sorry but this was so fucking bad. The pseudo incest plot of this book is so ridiculously unnecessary that it's almost comical. At what point are we going to stop disguising these smutty books about rape and abuse as "taboo" or "spicy". Just say that your internalized misogyny is showing, babe. ( )
  brookeklebe | Feb 6, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,342,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible