The Nemesis Manifesto (Evan Ryder, 1) by…

The Nemesis Manifesto (Evan Ryder, 1) (edition 2020)

by Eric Van Lustbader (Author)

Series: Evan Ryder (1)

Member:scallorn
Title:The Nemesis Manifesto (Evan Ryder, 1)
Authors:Eric Van Lustbader (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2020), 352 pages

The Nemesis Manifesto by Eric Van Lustbader

Didn't get into it, and didn't finish. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
A timely novel. Many of the characters are thinly veiled people in the news today. I find the writing very effective. You really come to dislike certain characters. Some of the scenes can be rather brutal. I would not classify this as a "cozy" mystery. Given the unsettled state of some of the characters, I hope there is a sequel that will bring some of them to justice. ( )
  shayes1 | Jul 13, 2021 |
Evan Ryder is a female super spy, with a hole in her memories. When she and another female agent (Brenda) are nearly killed by a car bomb after interviewing a former colleague, with a similar hole, the two are determined to find out who tried to kill them and why. Along the way, we meet a number of Russian spys or doubles, making for a somewhat confusing plot, which eventually comes back together. As Evan and Brenda's boyfriend pursue one line of inquiry, Brenda follows her own path, eventually leading to a reunification at an unexpected location far from Moscow. There is even some intense family drama thrown in for good measure. While this is nowhere near as good as his early Asian series, Van Lustbader does use disturbing real world trends in the novel: the rise of the far right and anti-Semitism across the globe. Also, too many POVs. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I struggled reading and finishing this book. I loved a few of the characters, Evan and Brenda, their chapters were page turners and exciting. I did had a hard time keeping track of most of the characters, there were a lot of them. I had to flip back and forth to refresh my memory of who they were and where they fit into the storyline. The chapters of the Russian characters, Russian names and acronyms, made it a little more difficult to read and understand. Maybe a list in the back of the book would have helped.

It took awhile, but I did finish the book. I found it interesting but very different from the types of books I normally read. Thank you BookishFirst, I received this advance reading copy from the publisher for an honest review. ( )
  donna.arnold | Jan 21, 2021 |
Bit like a movie teatment.. not a great plot - 3rd reich, SRV, russiona mutli rich yanks with civil war asperations. ummmmm ( )
  Brumby18 | Aug 24, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,708,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible