Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Firestarter: A Novel by Stephen King

Firestarter: A Novel (original 1980; edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

The Department of Scientific Intelligence, aka "The Shop," never anticipated that two participants in their research program would marry and have a child. Charlie McGee inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who had been given a low-grade hallucinogen called "Lot Six" while at college. Now the government is trying to capture young Charlie and harness her powerful firestarting skills as a weapon.… (more)
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:Firestarter: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (2016), Edition: Reissue, 513 pages

Work Information

Firestarter by Stephen King (1980)

English (85)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (94)
There's things I loved about this book, and there's things I truly didn't enjoy.

On the minus side, John Rainbird. No. Just...no. His motivations didn't work for me, the fact that he spilled the beans on gathering intel on The Shop well before he needed to play his hand...he simply didn't work for me.

On the plus side, Charlie was great, and the entire section where Andy pushed himself out of a drug addiction was heartbreaking when you consider his author was likely wishing fervently he could do the same damn thing around the time of the writing of this novel.

The one thing I felt King had a solid handle on was Charlie's pyrokinesis power. The scenes where she was intimate with it were fascinating. Just as he did with Carrie White's telekinesis, King brought Charlie McGee's power to life.

I'd say I'd love a sequel to this, to see where Charlie is now, but after the trainwreck that was Doctor Sleep, I don't want that anymore. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
3.25* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Familiar comfortable fluff. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I shed a tear or two througout this book.

Word of caution. I got an ebook from the library. Now, this book was RIDDLED with typos, but not the kind you get when the person isn't paying attention to their typing. They were the kind you get a publisher decides to make a quick ebook from an old book by using an automated computer scanner and an older book with a font that may bleed a bit together. I have seen this before in older books that are out in ebook format.

It was like someone who didn't know the english language AT ALL was trying to copy what they saw, but since they don't know the words, or letters, they just tried to approximate the 'squiggles' on the page and get them into an ebook. I know it's a computer scanning because it was the same "words" showing up - wrong.

About one every other page. It became a bit of a game trying to figure out how the computer came up with a gibberish word for the actual word it should have been.

I would "see" how it would come up with things like "A1" for the character "AL" (the "L" was lowercased). The main character "Charley" ended up with her name being "Char-ley" for a while (I guess there were some end of the split up line broken words). Sometimes there would be a random capitalized letter thrown in a word, or a zero would replace an "o".

There would be some random gibberish word and I had to guess what it meant. I don't have any real memories that stick out, but it was interesting. This wasn't the first time I came across this. It only happens in older books. Like trying to colorize and turn into HD a black and white film. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Wow. One or two cases of losing the POV, as with many early King books, but Firestarter lived up to everything I had hoped for and more. If you liked the movie, you'll love the book. I realize it's a truism that the book is always better and more in depth than the movie that was based on it, and Firestarter is no exception. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutsikaris, DennisReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtinen, Aarne T. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It was a pleasure to burn." -- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
In memory of Shirley Jackson, who never needed to raise her voice.
"Daddy, I'm tired," the little girl in the red pants and the green blouse said fretfully.

You are about to meet the sweetest, most irresistible little girl you've ever known - 8-year-old Charlie McGee.
She's everything that a proud father like Andy McGee could want - and all that he can fear. For Charlie was born with the most destructive power a human being has ever commanded - and somehow she must be saved from both herself and from those in high places who want to use her as their weapon.

Meet Charlie - and see what happens when innocence and beauty unite with evil and terro.
----------------------------------------------------
FIRESTARTER is the mesmerising and menacing story of a sinister government agency, a fateful drug experiment, and a pigtailed girl named Charlie, who has an unimaginably terrifying gift: the power of pyrokinesis.
Her power's constrained!
No, just seems that way because
thermometers melt.

(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,303,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible