Poems to See By: A Comic Artist Interprets Great Poetry

by Julian Peters

Other authors: Maya Angelou (Contributor), W. H. Auden (Contributor), e. e. cummings (Contributor), Emily Dickinson (Contributor), Robert Frost (Contributor)18 more, Tess Gallagher (Contributor), Thomas Hardy (Contributor), Robert Hayden (Contributor), Seamus Heaney (Contributor), William Ernest Henley (Contributor), Gerard Manley Hopkins (Contributor), Langston Hughes (Contributor), John Philip Johnson (Contributor), Edna St. Vincent Millay (Contributor), Edgar Allan Poe (Contributor), Ezra Pound (Contributor), Christina Rossetti (Contributor), Carl Sandburg (Contributor), Siegfried Sassoon (Contributor), Percy Bysshe Shelley (Contributor), Dylan Thomas (Contributor), William Wordsworth (Contributor), William Butler Yeats (Contributor)

"A fresh twist on 24 classics, these visual interpretations by comic artist Julian Peters will change the way you see the world"--

I have only recently discovered the joy of graphic novels, never having read comics in my youth. I really enjoy reading poetry from time to time and hadn't come across all these English poems before, some very classic (in language) and others more modern. A range of different art styles are used, from black and white to watercolours. Many are very striking; some with similar themed interpretations of the words. It would be really interesting to see different comic artists contribute to such an anthology and see the differences in interpretations.

I found it useful that the full poem was listed after the comics as my head filled with images and I wanted to absorb the poem both with the images and then without.

The book also made me want to explore some of the poets and poems further. ( )
  Booksplorer | Jun 1, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an interesting book. I love the premise - comics and poetry make such a natural pairing that I can't believe it hasn't been done more often. And there is a decent variety of works to be found here, and the artist explores a number of different styles, taking care to match the art to the poem.

A few downsides: one is that the artistic interpretations here are extremely literal. The other is that this book would have benefited greatly from being a true anthology: having a single artist means many similar interpretations over and over again, and similar choices made. (Did we need two Emily Dickinson poems here? In a volume already dominated by white folks?) Having different comic artists interpret different poems would have been a great improvement.

But overall this is a good book and not quite like anything I've seen before. I'd love to see more like it in the future. ( )
  Shadow123 | Jan 31, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Talented artist Julian Peters interprets and illustrates 24 different poems by a variety of poets.

I enjoyed this so much! Peters is an incredibly talented artist in many different styles, and used everything from abstract to watercolor to anime to view these classic poems in a different way. It really made me think about them in a way I hadn't before. I also tend to skim over poetry but the comic-like format made me take my time. I'm definitely going to keep this early review copy in my permanent collection. I think it would make a great gift. ( )
  norabelle414 | Jan 21, 2021 |
Peters uses a wide variety of styles to illustrate this short collection of two-dozen nineteenth and twentieth century English language poems: a watercolor painting in oriental style for “In a Station of the Metro” by Ezra Pound; a manga strip for “When you are old” by William Butler Yeats, a series of pastel sketches for “Choices” by Tess Gallagher, a collage for Maya Angelou’s “Caged Bird,” and heavy black and white line drawings for William Ernest Henley’s “Invictus.” Using pencil, brush, ink, and watercolor Peters has matched his media to the poets’ words, and his panels to the rhythm of the poetry. ( )
  MaowangVater | Jan 6, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Visualizing poetry involves analyzing the language, structure, mood, and theme of a poem, then creating a visual connection through drawing, watercolor, paint or other visual medium. Or, creating a mental image. Comics poetry blends aspects of comics and poetry.

Read the recently published children's book, then learn more at the website:

POEMS TO SEE BY: A COMIC ARTIST INTERPRETS GREAT POETRY by Julian Peters is an anthology of classic poems presented for a new generation of readers through a rich variety of visuals. Exploring twenty-four English-language poets, the book examines six themes: seeing yourself, others, art, nature, time, and death.

COMICS AS POETRY is an online article by Ivan Brunetti (January 30, 2020) that explores the connection between comics and poetry.

Read the article at https://bit.ly/2F6MJ72

ARC courtesy of Plough Publishing. ( )
  eduscapes | Sep 5, 2020 |

Julian Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Angelou, MayaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auden, W. H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
cummings, e. e.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dickinson, EmilyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shelley, Percy ByssheContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomas, DylanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wordsworth, WilliamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yeats, William ButlerContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Hope is the thing with feathers -

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Julian Peters's book Poems to See By: A Comic Artist Interprets Great Poetry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,197,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible