Red Hail by Killen, Jamie

by Killen, Jamie

2None3,939,711NoneNone
Recently added byEarlyReviewers

No reviews
A .mobi copy of Red Hail was sent to my website in exchange for an honest review. The book was described as a “dark speculative” science fiction novel, and overall, this was a solid read. Well written, characters well developed, and well thought out, which often is no easy task for a book that spans two different timelines—1960 and 2020.

With that said, there was something about the story that was very predictable, which, unfortunately, at least for me, made it a bit dry. There were no big surprises, and I’ve seen episodes of Smurfs darker than this. Sure, there is some conflict, a few people die—but dark, it is not. One could even argue after finishing the book, it is quite the opposite.

If marketed to the right audience (my site reviews mostly philosophy, cyberpunk, dystopian, and post-apocalyptic books—so it partly fell outside my realm of interest, though I accepted the review hoping for something “dark”), it could have a decent following. Think Roswell. In conclusion, this book is, again, definitely worth checking out, and the author has some serious talent even if this sub-genre of science fiction is not for me.
added by endev42 | editendev42 (Feb 15, 2020)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Killen, Jamie's book Red Hail is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible